Re: [CG] psychology of the right hook

  • John A. Ardelli
    Message 1 of 152 , Jul 5, 2005
      On Jul 4, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Wayne Pein wrote:

      > Recently I was using the full right lane of a 5 lane road during very
      > light traffic. A woman pulled behind me and angrily honked for me to
      > get out of her way. I looked back and motioned for her to pass me in
      > the open left lane, which she easily did.

      I once had the same thing happen to me on Kings Road around the Kenwood
      Drive intersection. A guy behind me LAYING on his horn despite there
      being PLENTY of room to pass me in the left lane and almost no traffic
      around. I still don't get why he didn't just PASS me... still, he
      didn't go THIS far:

      > However, she then pulled in front of me and slowed to slower than my
      > speed, about 20, and proceeded to impede me for about a 1/4 mile.

      If that had been me, I would have just shoulder checked then, if there
      was no one coming up behind, whipped into the left lane and passed HER.
      I've done that on several occasions when motorists were traveling at a
      lower speed than I could obtain under the circumstances. In fact, that
      happens fairly frequently at that very same intersection I mentioned
      (when I'm coming the OTHER way) because the approach is downhill. With
      a tailwind, I can keep up with motor traffic EASILY there most days.

      If I'm going faster than ANYONE and can pass, vehicle notwithstanding,
      I pass. After all, I'm an equal on the road, right? ;)

      John A. Ardelli
      Moderator
      BIFIDA-L: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/bifida-l/
      Bicycling Advocacy:
    • Kenneth O'Brien
      Message 152 of 152 , Aug 9, 2005
        >Secondly, its not
        >necessary to determine the birthdate of the youth cyclist only a proximation
        >of age group. Behavior naturally is a key factor too.

        I understand proximate birthdate is what was meant.
        I still say that is unacceptable. Roadway-operation
        behavior isn't a key factor - it is the only
        factor we should ask vehicle users to account for
        when analyzing bicyclists ahead in the stimulus-filled,
        decision-filled roadway environment. Also, if a user of
        any age is using a public roadway facility with irratic
        unpredicatable behavior, official enforcement
        needs to address that and eliminate it (and if it is by
        a child, their parents should help). We should not
        build in codified requirements that require
        users to continually anticipate and respond to frequent
        incidents of irratic behavior. (You say no code, so OK
        as far as that goes... but we still have the issue of
        fault determination in civil suits we need to
        keep an eye on.)

        I don't accept that a little extra squirelliness
        in line traveled by bicyclist is a "childlike" thing.
        (I suspect it may, sometimes be as much from the
        bike design our culture seems to foist on young people
        as much as on them being young.) I don't believe minor
        extra squirlliness will require 6ft of clearence in
        most instances.

        I also don't believe this is what we are
        talking about in this discussion. We are talking
        about ride-out, run-out, and swerve into/across
        travel lane behavior - that is either unseen, or
        untelegraphed before it occurs.

        Ken O'Brien

        CRKJLAW@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 8/2/2005 6:58:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > kob2@... writes:
        >
        > 1) requiring 6ft clearence
        >
        > 2) requiring 5mph max differential if overtaking if overtaking
        > used any part of the lane used by bicyclist.
        >
        > 3) Requiring drivers to determine the age of the bicyclist
        > they are approaching to overtake, and modifying
        > diff speed or clearence as a function of that.
        >
        > I submit these are unecessary, unworkable and unacceptable
        > to the US public.
        >

        > I believe that I was the one who mentioned giving children at least 6 foot
        > of clearance when passing. One, I did not suggest that that be made law, only
        > suggested that that is what I would consider prudent. By child, I mean anyone
        > under 11. Youths above that I consider preteens or teenagers. If I see a
        > young child doing typical childlike things on his bike such as swerving from side
        > to side, I'm going to be very cautious when passing him. Secondly, its not
        > necessary to determine the birthdate of the youth cyclist only a proximation
        > of age group. Behavior naturally is a key factor too.
        >
        > Chris Law

        > To change your delivery options, send a blank email to the corresponding address shown below:
        > Subscribe: chainguard-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > Switch to Digest Mode: chainguard-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > Use Website Access/Hold Mode: chainguard-nomail@yahoogroups.com
        > Normal Mode: chainguard-normal@yahoogroups.com