CGI Novice

  • lrivetz@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2001
      Can anyone explaine what CGI is?
      I know they used CGI to send email data.
    • djedziniak@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2001
        --- In cgi_programming@y..., lrivetz@y... wrote:
        > Can anyone explaine what CGI is?
        > I know they used CGI to send email data.

        CGI stands for Common Gateway Interface

        (from http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi/intro.html)

        "a standard for interfacing external applications with information
        servers, such as HTTP or Web servers. A plain HTML document that the
        Web daemon retrieves is static, which means it exists in a constant
        state: a text file that doesn't change. A CGI program, on the other
        hand, is executed in real-time, so that it can output dynamic
        information.
        For example, let's say that you wanted to "hook up" your Unix
        database to the World Wide Web, to allow people from all over the
        world to query it. Basically, you need to create a CGI program that
        the Web daemon will execute to transmit information to the database
        engine, and receive the results back again and display them to the
        client. This is an example of a gateway, and this is where CGI,
        currently version 1.1, got its origins. "

        "A CGI program can be written in any language that allows it to be
        executed on the system, such as:

        C/C++
        Fortran
        PERL
        TCL
        Any Unix shell
        Visual Basic
        AppleScript

        It just depends what you have available on your system. If you use a
        programming language like C or Fortran, you know that you must
        compile the program before it will run. If you look in the /cgi-src
        directory that came with the server distribution, you will find the
        source code for some of the CGI programs in the /cgi-bin directory.
        If, however, you use one of the scripting languages instead, such as
        PERL, TCL, or a Unix shell, the script itself only needs to reside in
        the /cgi-bin directory, since there is no associated source code.
        Many people prefer to write CGI scripts instead of programs, since
        they are easier to debug, modify, and maintain than a typical
        compiled program."

        Hope that helps
        JED
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VB_Kung_Fu