cgi on www.khata.com

  • Pramod Jain
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 19, 2000
      I am the founder of this site called www.khata.com.

      We have used cgi programming and MYsql at the back end. The site is
      on finacial application.

      The site response is very slow and getting slower. I wonder if the
      cgi is the right language for this sort of an application.

      We earlier thought that this may be because of the single screen we
      used, so we developed the frame set and used little bit of java
      scripting to have the cheks on client end..but there is no avail.
      for this version you may visit www.khata.com/khatademo.html

      Could any body advise what should we do now..??

      How to increase the speed/response??

      Pramod Jain
    • Jonathan W. Daniel
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 19, 2000
        Give a little more detail.

        Are you using Perl? Are you running your script in the mod_perl environment?

        PHP is fast alternative you might want to look into... but you *can* stick with Perl and get good results if the site is coded properly.

        Adding JS and frames won't help speed things up very much.

        - Daniel

        >I am the founder of this site called www.khata.com.
        >
        >We have used cgi programming and MYsql at the back end. The site is
        >on finacial application.
        >
        >The site response is very slow and getting slower. I wonder if the
        >cgi is the right language for this sort of an application.
        >
        >We earlier thought that this may be because of the single screen we
        >used, so we developed the frame set and used little bit of java
        >scripting to have the cheks on client end..but there is no avail.
        >for this version you may visit www.khata.com/khatademo.html
        >
        >Could any body advise what should we do now..??
        >
        >How to increase the speed/response??
        >
        >Pramod Jain
        >

        ><http://click.egroups.com/1/3373/3/_/609649/_/961429114/>
        >

        >Community email addresses:
        > Post message: cgi_programming@onelist.com
        > Subscribe: cgi_programming-subscribe@onelist.com
        >
        >Shortcut URL to this page:
        > <http://www.onelist.com/community/cgi_programming>http://www.onelist.com/community/cgi_programming
      • Kuo-Kuang OU
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 19, 2000
          Do you host the server by yourself? Besides, if you pose a question, it will be better with a "good"example. Lots of people here can understand cgi, but not a accounting system. So I don't know how slow is your application.

          And do you have a statistical report about your site?

          href="http://www.khata.com/khatademo.html">www.khata.com/khatademo.html

          > Could any body advise what should we do now..??
          >
          > How to
          increase the speed/response??

          > Pramod Jain

          Wrox Wireless Developer Conference, Amsterdam, July 10-12. Choose from

          40+ technical sessions covering application of WAP, XML, ASP, Java and

          C++ to mobile computing. Get your ticket to the future today!

          href="http://click.egroups.com/1/5689/3/_/609649/_/961429114/">http://click.egroups.com/1/5689/3/_/609649/_/961429114/

          > Shortcut URL to this page:

          href="http://www.onelist.com/community/cgi_programming">http://www.onelist.com/community/cgi_programming

        • Pramod Jain
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 19, 2000
            Thanx a lot...

            Okay the example is..first become a memeber (that is
            free) and once u get inside then click on link on new
            transaction (link second from left on top)...like wise
            all the links takes hell lot of time ...

            I hope u have understood my question

            Regards
            Pramod

            =====
            Pramod Jain
            TEL:91-11-6529401/9501/9601
            FAX:91-11-6529602
            email:pramod@...
            url: www.khata.com

            http://im.yahoo.com/
          • Pramod Jain
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 19, 2000
              Sorry I cud not reply your first question:

              We dont host ourselves and we dont have statstical
              data
              about the time...specifically on the time taken how
              ever i have normal webtrend kind of reports if it
              helps

              Regards
              Pramod Jain

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 20, 2000
                Hi, before you told me, I have already tried. I didn't see anything very slow.
                The speed is so from the very beginning when the www.khata.com is clicked.
                So the problem might not be your program. I quess, you use a virtual server and the one who hosts your server has too many virtual server on a physical machine.
                Besides, do you have a log to record how often is your site is queried? Or some statistical history like that?

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 20, 2000
                  I strongly recommend that you should own your statistical record. First of all, it is a good evidence to get financial aid. ;)
                  Second, it could be a good reason to change web host.

                  I am no reseller from any web hoster. I hate no web hoster.

                  > about the time...specifically on the time taken
                  how
                  > ever i have normal webtrend kind of reports if it

                  helps

                  > Regards
                  > Pramod Jain
                • Pramod Jain
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 20, 2000
                    Hi !!

                    Thanx a lot...
                    verio host this site..
                    I will send yr queries tommrrow morning...
                    I really appreciate yr responses and analysis

                    U r from which country, if I may ask so

                    Pramod Jain
                    --- Kuo-Kuang OU <kko0219@...> wrote:
                    > Hi, before you told me, I have already tried. I
                    > didn't see anything very slow.
                    > The speed is so from the very beginning when the
                    > www.khata.com is clicked.
                    > So the problem might not be your program. I quess,
                    > you use a virtual server and the one who hosts your
                    > server has too many virtual server on a physical
                    > machine.
                    > Besides, do you have a log to record how often is
                    > your site is queried? Or some statistical history
                    > like that?

                    =====
                    Pramod Jain
                    TEL:91-11-6529401/9501/9601
                    FAX:91-11-6529602
                    email:pramod@...
                    url: www.khata.com

                    http://im.yahoo.com/
                  • Pramod Jain
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 20, 2000
                      Hi !! again,

                      I am thoroghly confused and at loss how to set this
                      problem..I have just written to verio..let us see what
                      response I get I would be really grateful if u can
                      diagonise this problem..I am putting the coding on
                      html in mysite so that u can idetify if there is any
                      problem in coding..I will send u the url tommrrow..In
                      india it is 1.30 a.m.

                      I wish i cud get my technical team got wake up and
                      put u across staight

                      Thanx a lot
                      pramod
                      --- Kuo-Kuang OU <kko0219@...> wrote:
                      > I strongly recommend that you should own your
                      > statistical record. First of all, it is a good
                      > evidence to get financial aid. ;)
                      > Second, it could be a good reason to change web
                      > host.
                      >
                      > I am no reseller from any web hoster. I hate no web
                      > hoster.

                      =====
                      Pramod Jain
                      TEL:91-11-6529401/9501/9601
                      FAX:91-11-6529602
                      email:pramod@...
                      url: www.khata.com

                      http://im.yahoo.com/
                    • Kuo-Kuang OU
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 20, 2000
                        Hi, I come from Taiwan. It is 4:10 AM.

                        Just as I told you. Your problem might not be in your program.  You should let your tech people sleep well. Phone you server hoster instead. They are awake 7/24/365.

                        I have seen your homepage and the code with it. It is very good and I believe that your program is also very good. Now all you have to do is to prove where goes slow.

                        I am thoroghly confused and at loss how to set this
                        > problem..I have just
                        written to verio..let us see what
                        > response I get I would be really
                        grateful if u can
                        > diagonise this problem..I am putting the coding
                        on
                        > html in mysite so that u can idetify if there is any
                        > problem
                        in coding..I will send u the url tommrrow..In
                        > india it is 1.30
                        a.m.

                        > I wish i cud get my technical team  got wake up
                        and
                        > put u across staight
                        >
                        > Thanx a lot

                        pramod
                        href="mailto:kko0219@...">kko0219@...> wrote:
                        > > I strongly recommend that you should own your

                        statistical record. First of all, it is a good
                        > > evidence to get
                        financial aid. ;)
                        > > Second, it could be a good reason to change
                        web
                        > > host.
                        > >
                        > > I am no reseller from any web
                        hoster. I hate no web

                        href="mailto:j_pramod@...">j_pramod@...>

                        your first question:

                        > > > We dont host ourselves
                        and we dont have statstical
                        > > > data
                        > > > about the
                        time...specifically on the time taken
                        > > how
                        > > > ever i
                        have normal webtrend kind of reports if it
                        > > > helps
                        > > >
                        > > > Regards
                        > > > Pramod Jain
                        > >

                        > =====
                        > Pramod Jain

                        TEL:91-11-6529401/9501/9601

                        href="mailto:email:pramod@...">email:pramod@...
                        href="http://www.khata.com">www.khata.com

                        > Do You
                        Yahoo!?
                        > Send instant messages with Yahoo! Messenger.

                        href="http://im.yahoo.com/">http://im.yahoo.com/

                        Make new friends, find the old at Classmates.com:

                        href="http://click.egroups.com/1/5530/3/_/609649/_/961530276/">http://click.egroups.com/1/5530/3/_/609649/_/961530276/

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 20, 2000
                          Hi !! Kuo..(is this right way to call u? )

                          Good morning and must sleep now...okay!!!

                          Cool... man..how come u awake this late..can I have yr
                          email address so that we can share some thoughts.

                          Your word of approval about the programming and coding
                          is making me lot comfortable..

                          Thanx a lot

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 21, 2000
                            Hi, it's ok how you call me. Important is that I know that you call me. I cannot call your name correctly, either. I like to work at night and alone.
                            O.K. if you want to something privately, email with the address.