Need help

  • what_ludacris
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hey, i have a website where i have people go to the main page, but if
      they woudl like to move to other pages on the site i need them to log
      in, i have been told that i would need to use CGI, so if anyone knows
      how to do this please email me with the price and other info thank
      you, bye
    • ckbk2002
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 8, 2006
        Hello, I am attempting to build a page that uses a cgi script to
        extract info from
        a delimited text file database and then place it into an html file for
        viewing (see files below.) The database will contain "tips for the
        day" and is
        arranged in four fields containing the month, day, year, and tip or
        event
        info (I have "dummy data" in it now.). The script gets the current
        date and compares it to the date listed for the tip. If they match it
        extracts that record and prints it. I
        compare the month and the date but not the year. There is a foreach
        loop
        used for iteration. My script works well with the sample data that I
        have
        when the cgi script is run.

        I use a WYSIWYG web program called "Webpagemaker." I can draw a box
        then
        click in it and paste my html content or script in it. I have a
        limited
        knowledge of cgi and html and I don't know how to properly insert the
        cgi
        script into my html page. On my html page listed below, I simply
        typed in
        the result in the box but I want that info generated by the cgi
        instead so
        that it will change daily. In other words, I need to "marry" the cgi
        script
        to my html page.

        Questions:

        1) How might I achieve the aforementioned task? I have tried both <!-
        -#include virtual="/cgi-bin/tips.cgi"--> and <!--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/
        tips.cgi" -->
        With both I get "[an error occurred while processing this directive]"
        The only thing I can come up with is maybe lycos/tripod doesn't suport
        SSI. When the site is finally finished, it will be hosted on doteasy.
        com using a plan that does support SSI..

        2) As a second option, I tried to put the html in the cgi page itself
        and do everything from it. I get it to output on the page but I don't
        knoe how to place the outputted text where I want (see cgi file below
        ). Also, when I get this to work, I will have to redirect my users
        form the index/html page to the cgi page. Does anyone know the proper
        perl syntax to place text where you want on a page and constain it to
        a selected area?

        3) Also, A hard return must be used after each record in the data text
        file
        according to my understanding of cgi. Using my file, what if I wanted
        my
        last field (the tips or event field) to contain let's say a recipe for
        the
        day instead of a tip for the day. The recipe would consist of more
        than one
        line. How could all of that be grouped together as one unit since
        there
        would be a hard return for each line of the recipe?

        These are my files:

        Html page http://dailytips.tripod.com/index.html
        Datbase http://dailytips.tripod.com/cgi-bin/data.txt
        Cgi file http://dailytips.tripod.com/cgi-bin/tips.cgi

        Thank you in advance for any assistance you might offer me.