cgi vs asp

  • John Schmalz
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2002
      I'm new to the group and am trying to decide the direction I want to take
      the company I work for. I am considering cgi or asp. Can anyone tell me
      the differnces and the upside and downside of each?

      Thanks,

      John
    • goshawk@gnat.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2002
        cgi is more of a generic term, for example perl scripting is cgi scripting.
        but in this case the script and the html page are seperate objects.

        in the case of asp:

        asp is a specfic language called active server pages, normally used on micro soft
        platforms.
        it is code embedded with the html code. The server parsed the html / asp code combo
        and translates
        / execues the asp code then delivers the html / results of asp to the client side.

        PHP is similiar, but uses a more perl like sytax and is used mainly on linux type
        servers.

        Pat

        >I'm new to the group and am trying to decide the direction I want to take
        >the company I work for. I am considering cgi or asp. Can anyone tell me
        >the differnces and the upside and downside of each?
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >John
        >

        >Community email addresses:
        > Post message: cgi_programming@onelist.com
        > Subscribe: cgi_programming-subscribe@onelist.com
        >
        >Shortcut URL to this page:
        > http://www.onelist.com/community/cgi_programming

      • Frank Looper
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 2002
          ASP can be used on Linux servers as well. Most decent hosts provide
          ChiliSoft ASP as part of the service. ASP, PHP and Perl are all very good
          in their place. What you need to learn is all according to what you need
          to do.

          Frank

          >I'm new to the group and am trying to decide the direction I want to take
          >the company I work for. I am considering cgi or asp. Can anyone tell me
          >the differnces and the upside and downside of each?
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >John

          ---
          http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_downl.htm