CGGS this Sunday

  • Marilyn and Rob Lear
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 9, 2011
      HI!

      This Sunday, September 11, the Coastal Georgia Genealogical Society will meet at 2:00 at the airport meeting room at the firestation, St. Simons.  The program will be "What's In a Surname?"  Please consider sharing something interesting about one or more of your surnames...perhaps its origin, meaning or where the family came from overseas.  Also, those who did not share a family heirloom or story at July's meeting are encouraged to do so.  We had such great variety: from old quilts to a president's signature to a Civil War letter and so forth.

      Library News:  More resource books are being added as the Brunswick Library Heritage Room as they have removed many of the periodicals to the storage area.  You may want to check out this facility to see if you find helpful material.  They have marked the family histories with the surname on the spine.

      Books at meeting:  Once again we will have some books available for purchase at our meeting on Sunday.  Bring any books or periodicals of a genealogical or historical nature which you want to donate as this helps our club.

      Field trip to St. Mary's:  We hope to pick a date for a field trip to St. Mary's Oak Grove Cemetery for a tour by our member Kay Westberry.  Perhaps this could lead to a cemetery tour at our own historic Oak Grove Cemetery??

      Marilyn Lear
      President, CGGS
    • Bill Ramsaur
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 11, 2011
        Marilyn & Rob- I had planned to attend the CGGS meeting today- but Gloria & I have now been asked to attend a meeting at our church this afternoon.

        Sorry that we can not attend the CGGS meeting. Bill

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 11, 2011

          Bill...just came in from the meeting and got your message.  We had a very good turnout and lots of interesting surname-related information shared.  I will be sending out a follow up email about it.  Thanks, Marilyn

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 11, 2011

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 11, 2011
              Don't forget:  CGGS will meet this Sunday, November 13th, at 2:00 at the St. Simons Airport meeting room.  The program will be on the newly enlarged Huxford/Spear Library. [today's paper has incorrect date for the meeting]  Some of Mr. Spear's roots were in Ohio, so not all of the vast holdings he donated were southern in nature.

              Also, please bring examples or ideas for sharing your genealogy research with your family during the holidays.  This is a perfect time to pass on some of your family traditions.  Don't let them be forgotten.

              Finally, please pay your dues which are $10 per person or $15 for a couple.  Mail to Barbara Baethke at 119 Bayberry Circle, St. Simons 31522 or bring to the meeting.  Thanks!

              Marilyn M. Lear
              CGGS President
            • Marilyn and Rob Lear
              Message 6 of 11 , May 18, 2012
                Hi!

                CGGS will meet this Sunday, May 20th, at 2:00 at the Airport Meeting Room, SSI, next to the Firestation.  Our speaker is Amy Hedrick, local author, historian and researcher.  She will tell us about her forth-coming book on Brunswick's historic Oak Grove Cemetery.  She will also share her tips for cemetery research.  Amy is webmaster for the GlynnGen site and is the unusual younger person who is interested in family history and sharing of information!!  Check out http://www.glynngen.com/

                If anyone has information they want included in her Oak Grove book, you may bring a copy to the meeting, scanned to a disk.  Please note the source of the information that is given so that future generations might locate the original items.  This can include photographs, presumably ones related to persons buried at Oak Grove.

                Note: this meeting was moved from the second Sunday, due to Mother's Day.  Our next meeting will be July 8th at our regular location.  The program will be "Sharing."  Bring a family treasure, a special story or news of a research trip!

                See you on Sunday,
                Marilyn Lear, President
                CGGS
              • Marilyn and Rob Lear
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 9, 2012
                  A reminder:

                  CGGS will meet this Sunday at 2:00 at the St. Simons Airport meeting room.  Our topic of discussion will be Internet Research.  Come prepared to share your favorite web site or report a success story!!  We can learn a great deal from each other, for instance Barbara Lane's story of the old milk bottle.  Linda Olsen has news about a terrific family history book she created using Shutterfly.

                  Also on the agenda is an update about possible plans to work with other groups and individuals to help promote and preserve Oak Grove Cemetery.  It is a treasure!

                  Lastly, don't forget to pay your dues.  If you can't bring to the meeting, please mail to treasurer Barbara Baethke at her new address: 136 Heritage Dr. Apt. B-4, SSI, 31522.

                  Hope to see you Sunday.

                  Marilyn Lear
                  CGGS
                • Marilyn and Rob Lear
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 9, 2013
                    The regular meeting of the Coastal Georgia Genealogical Society will be this Sunday, July 14th, at 2:00 at the Airport Firestation, SSI.  Our program will be "Show and Tell,"  a long-standing tradition for the club and always an informative one.  Please come with an interesting family item or a family story!  Include a photo of the person connected with the item, if available.  A reminder: only the paid members will now receive the club's newsletter.  Don't miss out on events and news related to family history.  Hope to see you on Sunday.  Visitors welcomed!

                    Marilyn Lear, President
                    CGGS

                  • bethscribble@...

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 6, 2013
                        This is a reminder that the Coastal Georgia Genealogical Society will meet this Sunday, September 8th, at 2:00 at the meeting room at the Airport Firestation on St. Simons.  The program will be "The Brick Wall-Many Heads Are Better Than One."   All are invited!  Paid members receive a detailed newsletter with information about upcoming genealogy events and lots of helpful internet sites.  Dues for this year are payable now.

                        The November 10th meeting will be a presentation "Journey Into Genetic Genealogy."  Mark your calendars and join us for information about this new family history tool!

                        Marilyn Lear, President
                        CGGS
                      • Marilyn and Rob Lear
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 9
                          MEETING THIS SUNDAY  Start the New Year by attending the meeting this Sunday, January 12,  at 2:00 at the Airport Fire Station, St. Simons.  The program will be about "Nefarious Ancestors," so come and hear about some folks who were not what they first were thought to be.  John Taylor is encouraging members to share stories of surprises found in researching their families.  Email him at jmt6201@... if you would like to be part of the program.  Refreshments will be served by our hospitality team Jennifer Irion and Kareen Narciso.

                          DONATION  Our group has been given a generous donation from Jane Wroton and her husband.  As you may recall, Jim and wife Frances Wroton were active in CGGS for years, he serving as president as well as doing a terrific newsletter.  Come this Sunday with suggestions for a book we might purchase for the library with some of this money.

                          CONFERENCE  As you read in your informative newsletter by Lodi Palmer, there is a genealogy seminar on Saturday, March 15, in Jacksonville.  Let's plan a car pool to this outstanding family history opportunity for which is only $20 if you register by January 14th, including lunch!!  This will be on our agenda on Sunday.  Learn more or register at www.nfgenealogyconference.com/  There are some 19 different speakers and a wide range of lectures from which to choose.

                          SHUTTERFLY BOOK WORKSHOP  Linda Olsen has offered to give a free workshop to our members on creating a family history book using Shutterfly.  We will work on a possible date and location at the meeting.  Thanks, Linda!  Also in the works is the possibility of Beginners Genealogy Session.  More to come on this.

                          As you can see, we have lots going on, so come and be a part of our friendly group.  Bring along magazines or books you no longer need which might be enjoyed by someone else in our club.

                          Marilyn Lear, President
                          Coastal Georgia Genealogical Society