CGGS Update

  • Marilyn and Rob Lear
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2011
      CGGS UPDATE

      Our May 15th meeting was interesting, thanks to local attorney Eugene Caldwell.  He said that he'd be glad to answer questions later so please email him if you'd like at:  lawmail@...    Also, Rob showed some copies he had made with our new Magic Wand portable scanner.  It is proving to be very handy!!

      We discussed the recent NGS Conference in Charleston.  Rob and I attended one day of the lectures and Lodi Palmer was there for the entire conference.  It was exciting to see so many people enthused about genealogy, hear inspiring speakers and visit the many vendor exhibits.  I purchased a copy of the new publication Georgia Land Lottery Research by Paul K. Graham, which will be donated to the Heritage room collection at the Brunswick Library from our club funds.  [It was $30 with no tax or shipping since I bought it there.]  It is a great overview of ALL the Georgia land lotteries and how they worked.

      We were sorry to learn of the death of Barbara Baethke's husband Ed.  Perhaps we can purchase a book on internet research in his memory and donate it to the St. Simons Library, as computers were his line of work.  Also, my own Mom, Sibyl Matthews, passed away on May 31, at her villa at Magnolia Manor, SSI.  We shall miss her very much!  The memorial service is Saturday, June 11 at 3:00 at St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Brunswick.

      Lodi Palmer has suggested we get together a list of the surnames we are researching with their locations and books we own and are willing to share or do lookups.  Please support this good idea...send to her at lepalmer@...  We may use them for some informal research groups within our club, for sharing of methods and materials.

      Our next meeting is 2:00, Sunday, July 9th, at our regular meeting place at the firestation meeting room, St. Simons.  We will be sharing....a brick wall, a success story or an heirloom.    SEE YOU THERE!!!

      Marilyn M. Lear
      CGGS President