18 Oct 2007 Archaeology Program

  • Amy Hedrick
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007

      The Georgia Humanities Council (GHC) approved a special program grant application for a one-day project entitled “Diversity of Coastal Georgia Archaeology” on behalf of the Coastal Georgia Regional Development Center (CGRDC).

      This will be held on Thursday, October 18, 2007 from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM at The Midway Congregationalist Church, ca. 1792, located in the historic district at Midway,Georgia , and is a public outreach of the CGRDC’s 10-county Historic Preservation Advisory Council.   This project is supported by the Georgia Humanities Council and the National Endowment for the Humanities and through appropriations from the Georgia General Assembly.

      Eight archaeologists and one museum professional will be participating in this important outreach, making coastal residents aware of the need for preserving and protecting the coast’s unique prehistoric & historic archaeological resources.

      Dr. Dave Crass , Ga. State Archaeologist will be joined by Dan T. Elliott of The LAMAR Institute, Rita Folse Elliott of the Coastal Heritage Society/Savannah History Museum, educator & independent archaeology consultant Carolyn Rock of Camden County, Chad Braley of Southeastern Archaeological Services, based in Athens (Mary Musgrove site); Cultural Resources Manager Brian K. Greer (Fort Stewart & Hunter Army Airfield), Dennis Blanton of Fernbank Museum & Dr. Paul Brockington, president of Brockington & Associates who works with public agencies and private developers & is helping craft Governor Perdue’s Coastal Comprehensive Plan.  Collections Manager, John A. Mitchell of Cumberland Island National Seashore will bring an exhibit of, rarely seen, artifacts from recent digs on the island: Native American, African-American, colonial era objects.  Handouts will be available for attendees.

      Patricia Barefoot

      Historic Preservation Planner

      Coastal Georgia Regional Development Center

      P.O. Box 1917

      Brunswick , Ga. 31521

      pbarefoot@...

      (912) 264-7363, ext. 218

    • The Weavers
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2007

        Amy

        The archaeology program sounds high powered and terrific..Is there a way to pre register  and/or get more information??

        Thanks,  Bill Weaver

      • Amy Hedrick
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2007
          I believe it is open to the public, no registration necessary.  You can contact Patricia Barefoot for more information.

          Hope to see you there!

          Amy Hedrick
          GAGenWeb Glynn Co., GA CC  http://www.rootsweb.com/~gaglynn
          AHGP Glynn Co., GA CC  http://www.glynngen.com
          AHGP Brantley Co., GA CC  http://www.glynngen.com/~brantley
          AHGP McIntosh Co., GA CC  http://www.glynngen.com/~mcintosh
          Hedrick & Allied Families  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~amylyn

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 18, 2007
            Oct. 18, 2007 at The Midway Congregationalist Church, Midway (Liberty Co.),
            Ga. Begins 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, with 1 1/2 hr. lunch (12:00 noon - 1:30 PM).
            8 archaeologists & 1 museum professional.
            No need to pre-register. We sent out the 1st public service announcement
            late last week, for coastal area newspapers, including "The Islander" where
            I occasionally publish.
            Thanks for your interest.
            Patricia Barefoot
            (912) 264-7363, ext. 218

            >From: "The Weavers" <willweav@...>
            >To: cggs@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: RE: [cggs] 18 Oct 2007 Archaeology Program
            >Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 16:59:19 -0400

            >Amy
            >
            >�
            >
            >The archaeology program sounds high powered and terrific..Is there a way to
            >pre register� and/or get more information??
            >
            >Thanks,� Bill Weaver�

            Get a FREE small business Web site and more from Microsoft� Office Live!
            http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0930003811mrt/direct/01/