Newsletter March 2004

  • Amy Hedrick
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2004

      Coastal Georgia Genealogical Society

      News & Reviews

      1058 Whisper Ridge Loop, Waynesville, GA 31566

      March 2004

      18 APRIL 2004 Meeting will be held at 2:00 p.m. at the College Place United Methodist Church on Altama Avenue. Patricia Barefoot, author of several pictorial and local history and lore books, will be our guest speaker. Refreshments will be provided also.

      15 FEBRUARY 2004 Meeting was a show and tell. Member Jerry Martin brought along his digital camera and gave us some pointers on the ease of use, and what to look for when buying. We also had a brief discussion on some of our obstacles in our research.

      The 12 Step Program
      by George G. Morgan

           Whenever I deliver genealogy seminars, I'm often asked, "What are the key ways I can be more successful in my research?" That question is nearly impossible to answer. It depends on so many factors: where you are researching, at what period in time, which records you're seeking, what you're trying to prove/disprove, and others. There are
      some strategies and methodologies that we can all apply. Some of these may seem like common sense, but I often find I have to stop and remind myself to examine all the angles. In my enthusiasm to keep making progress, I need to slow down and remember the essentials of research.
           In "Along Those Lines..." this week, I'd like to share my personal list of twelve tips that I hope will help you achieve greater success with your genealogical research.

      1. Research the entire family unit, not just your direct ancestor, to gain an understanding of the family dynamics and each member's personality. The fact that a child is born in a certain sequence in the family really does influence his or her development and the relationships with every other family member.

      2. Place your ancestors into context by learning about the history, geography, and social conditions of the places and times in which they lived. I can never stress this enough. If you don't understand the place and times, the historical and social forces, and the influences of other people and events, you won't ever really "know" your ancestor or family member.

      3. Understand what records might have been created for and about your ancestors (and which types were not) and trace the current location of those records. History, again, plays an important factor. Consider the government in power at the time, the types of records it caused to be created and why, and what may have happened to those records. Be certain to use historical maps so that you're looking in the right place at the right time.

      4. Take maximum advantage of libraries and archives by mastering the use of their online catalogs and understanding the classification systems and organization of their collections. If you don't know how to immediately locate materials in these facilities, you can waste precious research time.

      5. Continually expand and hone your Internet skills in the use of search engines, databases, directories, metasearch engines, message boards, e-mail, mailing lists, people finders, and other tools. Seek out classes at colleges, universities, libraries, genealogical society computer groups, and at online venues such as the Genealogy Training Workshops at MyFamily.com.

      6. Use all the resources available to you--books, magazines and journals, newspapers, microfilm, electronic databases, and the Internet--and integrate their use with one another to obtain complementary information and documentation. Work all the

       resources you have available in tandem with one another to prove, corroborate, verify, disprove, or refute information and hypotheses.
           In addition, learn how to use all the features of your genealogy database software. Take advantage of printed manuals, videos, classes, and user groups sponsored by many genealogical societies. Using "all" of the resources and tools at your disposal will make you a more effective researcher.

      7. Develop and employ your critical thinking skills to evaluate every piece of evidence you find. Consider each fact for accuracy, credibility, authority of the source, primary vs. secondary source, original vs. derivative source, currency, and bias.

      8. Learn to locate and use alternative or substitute records when the ones you want can't be located. When you hit a brick wall, don't just collapse and cry that you've reached a dead end. Look for other available records and evidence that include the same or similar information. Sidestep to a sibling or other family member and research that person; move up another generation from them, for instance, and then connect your way downward to the person with whom you are stalled.

      9. Document every piece of information you find using complete and accurate written source citations. You will come back to these sources over and over again. They are every bit as important as the data that they document. Just like you see on "Antiques Roadshow," source citations are the "provenance" of your family history data.

      10. Use the facts you have compiled to develop a timeline of data and life events for your key ancestors or those for which you have encountered a brick wall. Learn to read your ancestor's life chronologically like a biography to better understand him or her.

      11. Prepare in advance for every genealogical research trip by defining who and what you want to research, where the materials you want are located, and by setting up appointments to meet with people who may be able to provide information and assistance.

      12. Periodically re-read all of the materials you have compiled for an individual in chronological sequence. Each time you do so, you will view the person's life story more clearly.

      You will find that if you focus on these essential tips for your research guidance, your success rate will improve. And the better you understand your ancestors, you'll be amazed at how many of your brick walls crumble away more easily.

      Happy Hunting!
      George

      Copyright 2004, MyFamily.com. All rights reserved.

      THE BRICK WALL

           I am going to do a little something different this time. Many folks email me, or call me up, and ask for my help to research their family. By no means am I a professional researcher, nor do I tout myself as such, but I seem to have a knack for knocking down someone else’s brick wall. Anyone’s but my own!
           Just recently I was asked to do a lookup in the Oak Grove Cemetery book in Glynn County, for the Krauss family. I found some entries, the family already know who is buried there, but there are a couple of unmarked gravesites and they wanted to know if the book had any info. It didn’t have any more than they already knew.
           The unmarked sites may be for two children who drowned. I also checked my holdings for this family. I found some entries in the St. Mark’s Church books. One in particular that interested them.
           Peter Krauss was married to Margaret Hudson, they had a few children, obviously, one child, George R. Krauss went in to the family business with his father at Peter Krauss & Son Bakery located on Newcastle Street in Brunswick, Georgia.
           Luck would have it that our health department had a death record for Peter Krauss, he died in the late 1800s. But where was he buried? Most of the family were either buried in Oak Grove or Palmetto Cemetery. Some were buried in Laurel Grove in Chatham County. Peter and Margaret were married in Chatham also. But no known burial record for he or his wife. They both died in Glynn County.
           George R. Krauss had many children, one in particular was known to the family as Peter Krauss. After sending the family a baptismal record they find that he was really named Richard Irving Krauss, why

      the name change? He later moved to Colorado. Tracing him has proven to be a daunting task also.
           During the last few days of February, I met these Krauss family members, and showed them around the courthouse records, not much to be found there on a surface search. The next day we met at the library, and zipped around the ole’ Internet.
           From a family bible entry they know of two of the Krauss children having drowned. While showing them how to do various searches on Ancestry.com, we did a vague search for the Krauss name in South Carolina. At one time Peter went there and came back to Georgia.
           While scanning through the results I saw the Southern Christian Advocate, one listing. Immediately, I thought, this might be something, click on it. And of course it was the article about Charles Edward and Emma Virginia Krauss, children of Peter and Margaret, drowning near Brunswick. Another source to document the bible record, another fact. The Oak Grove Cemetery book lists an unknown Krauss girl, drowned. This must be little Emma Virginia. They drowned on 9 June 1874.
           But what happened to Richard Irving “Peter” Krauss? He was born 20 April 1886 to George R. Krauss and Emily Helena Whyte. When did he die? Where?
           Where were Peter and Margaret (Hudson) Krauss interred?
           If any of you folks out there know of the Krauss family that were in Brunswick by the 1870s and well into the 1900s drop me a line at
      cggsnews@...

      Who Will Tend Your Tree After You’re Gone?

           Many of us have extensive amounts of research on our families, so much information that you could almost start your own library. And many more of us have all of this information on paper only, as your research was started well over 20 years ago.
           As the old saying goes: “You can’t take it with you.” But who will take it for you?
           Recently, Jim Wroton, one of CGGS’s longtime members and former editor-in-chief of this newsletter, sent in an email he received from the Fort Frederica Chapter of the DAR. It was an example of a codicil to add to your will, leaving instructions on what should be done about your family research.
           No one thinks about who or where this information should go. We mostly think of our spouse or children, will they be taken care of, who will get the house, the money, etc. But who will continue on with your research? Or archive it?
           Two of the genealogy geniuses in Brunswick [that I have met so far] are Ruth Vicent and Patricia Barefoot. They have an enormous personal library of reference materials. Patricia has her own office built outside of her home, that is wall to wall books, file cabinets, documents, photos, and more. All of the things she needs to help write about Georgia’s people and places.
           Ruth Vicent has a computer full to the brim of genealogical material. Not only that but she has a large hanging folder file cabinet [converted from a record album cabinet that you used to find in the local record store, records are those vinyl things that

      played music, remember?] full of family and history information, not only is the info stored on paper and
      computer, but it is stored within her brain! She is a virtual who’s who of Georgia. One day I asked her what will happen to this research of hers. She said that she has already made arrangements for her children to keep what they want, and give the rest to the local library.
           She has also given me much of her material, so that her research can be carried on well after she is gone. It won’t just lie dormant collecting dust on a shelf. I add notes to her material as I find items in my forays into the courthouse and talking with the folks of this town.
           So who will tend your tree when you are gone? I made arrangements a year ago when planning a surgical procedure [just in case I didn't wake up], to send what my mother [if still living] doesn’t want back to my home town of Marion, Grant Co., Indiana and their public library. I have also uploaded my genealogy file to Rootsweb, so that my research will never be lost, unless the internet fails. I have also sent copies of most of my research to my direct relatives, i.e. aunts, uncles, cousins. However, I need to take the next step, and get my directions on paper.
           Enclosed in this newsletter, you will find a copy of the “Genealogy Codicil” that was sent to Jim Wroton. It may not fit your needs, but it gives you an idea of where to send your materials and who to send them too.

      INTERNET

      http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/ The Digital Library of Georgia located at the Galileo site. Images of Vanishing Georgia now online!

      http://www.researchbuzz.com Find databases on unusual research topics. Takes you to most recent online databases for many different subjects. Genealogy is in the Popular Category.

      http://www.libraryspot.com Locate libraries and archives, search for definitions, medical terminology, books, exhibits, and more!

      UPCOMING EVENTS

      Thursday, 7:30 p.m. at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel “Cumberland Island, What a Place!” The National Park’s Resource Manager will be presenting a panorama of Cumberland’s social history and natural resources. RESERVATIONS required, call (912)635-2600.

      at 3 p.m. at the Brunswick Public Library “A Visit With Mary Todd Lincoln”, by M. Kay duPont, author of the award winning “Loving Mr. Lincoln: The Personal Diaries of Mary Todd Lincoln”. Also being held on Monday the 22nd at 7 p.m. at the Camden County Library and Tuesday the 23rd at 7 p.m. at the Wayne County Library.

      26-28 MARCH 2004

      Blessing of the Fleet in Darien, McIntosh County, Georgia. Food, live music, antiques, arts, crafts, activities, and more. Call (912) 437-6684 for more information.

      PUBLICATIONS

      “St. Mark’s Episcopal Church Books 1867-1924”

      Transcribed from the 3 original church registers, this book is an index to baptisms, marriages, deaths, confirmations, communicants, and other church business covering Glynn and Camden County, Georgia [mainly Glynn]. Over 200 pages of records many of which include parents’ names, spouses, children, place of burials, causes of death birth dates, death dates, and more. Several baptismal records of newly freedmen and women from the Berry Plantation and other areas in Camden County.

      Books are being printed now, and will be available soon for about $50 each plus $3 book rate shipping if mailed. They are hardback with gold printing on the cover and only 6 will be available for sale. The sale of these books is to cover printing costs for 4 books that will be donated to various libraries and the church itself, by the author Amy Hedrick.

      To reserve your copy, email Amy at amylyn@...

      Books may not be available again after this sale unless a demand for them is apparent. Check out the Glynn County GenWeb site for a surname index to all 3 volumes.

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~gaglynn/church.htm

      MEMBERSHIP INFORMATION

      Annual membership to the CGGS is only

      $15 for one person or $18 for a family. Membership extends from 1 January 2003 to 31 December 2003.

      Remit payment to our treasurer:

      Barbara Baethke
      119 Bayberry Circle
      St. Simons Is. , GA 31522