2013-05-09 - For The Children

  • cfmichael1
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2013
      Matt 18:6 but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

      The future is always unfolding - now - right before us.

      This day is only different because it is later than yesterday. Is Jesus returning tomorrow? I have no idea. Anyone who tells you they know when will only be right if the Father chooses that day. But the clock is ticking.

      How we handle today, how watchful we are, will matter not only to us but to our children, and to their children if the Lord waits. Evil rarely kicks the door down an announces itself with a bow and a flourish. Just as the serpent carefully crafted his words to Eve in the garden, words are being carefully laid out today. The free exercise of religion was placed prominently in our founding documents in America.

      Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ... - From the U.S. Constitution - First amendment establishment clause

      There are always those who would love to restrict that freedom the Pilgrims fled their homes to realize. The turn of phrase "freedom of worship" with the intent of restricting religious life to home, church or meeting house has been attempted for example. Religious expression makes some people uncomfortable. Because views associated with Christians on any number of social issues are unpopular with some circles we are called old-fashioned or narrow-minded. I have been told to keep my religion out of politics.

      But isn't that the point?

      The lack of thankfulness to God for what we have been given, and we have been given so much, makes me uncomfortable. My faith is part of who I am and is part of my decision-making process. The practice of my faith is protected by the same document that protects freedom of speech for everyone. This is something else we must watch. Christian, do not let your faith be relegated to the corner of life and the public square. If not for today for the future, and the children. We are the salt - the preservative that the Lord sent out to the nations.

      Truth is not relative. God will not conform to the culture. I have been very careful not to push a political position or side of any issue here. Hold those issues up against the Word of God and see where they fall. Search for biblical answers to your questions.

      Luke 12:7 Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.

      God values each one of us greatly. He gave us minds and free wills, and responsibility. Pray - for today, for the future, and for the children who will inherit what we leave to them.

      Lord - help me be mindful of what we have been given that must be defended, the time that is passing and Your great love for each of us. May I be an useful tool in the hand of the Master. Amen.

      Grace & Peace,

      All verses are from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise noted.