Rest Stops

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2013
      Rest Stops

      By Janice Moser

      Originally published 3-17-2000

      During a recent vacation to the beach, my dog Pierre taught me yet another valuable lesson. Most of us, myself included, focus on our destination, our final goal, and the culmination of our project -- the end of the process. I was eagerly anticipating a quiet week of reading, taking walks, and enjoying nature. But to Pierre, each step of the journey was an adventure in itself, even the rest stops. There were new sights, smells and sounds to explore. Sometimes we get so caught up in getting to the last step, that we fail to appreciate the blessings and lessons along the way.

      It's true that we should press forward toward our goals, whether they be spiritual, work- or school-related or personal.

      Phil. 3:13 Brethren, I do not reckon myself to have laid hold; and one thing-the things behind indeed forgetting, and to the things before stretching forth- 14 to the mark I pursue for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. (Young's Literal Translation)

      But along the route, we should keep our ears, eyes and hearts open to God's working in our lives, being constantly thankful - and enjoying the journey itself. Do you look at how much weight you have yet to lose, or are you appreciative of each pound you lose? Do you feel frustrated until a committee project is complete, or do you ask God to teach you in the process, and thank Him for each step of progress? Do we fail to soak up all we can learn, in each class we take, because we are consumed with "getting our degree?" Do we realize that each moment of life is a precious gift from God, to be appreciated, and that each day brings lessons and blessings?

      We need to learn to appreciate each stage of our journey.

      1 Thes 5:16 Always rejoice ye; 17 continually pray ye; 18 in every thing give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus in regard to you. (Young's Literal Translation)

      If you would like to contact the author of this devotional, you may write Jan at cfdevpray@....