Richard's Devotional 01/26/13

  • cfdevcfpray
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2013
      Devotional--The One Who Can Calm the Storm
      By Richard Moser

      In Mark 4:35-41, we find the account of Jesus and His disciples encountering a storm, while crossing the Sea of Galilee in a small boat. This incident occurred early in Jesus' ministry. His disciples were still getting to know Him, and they were amazed by His miracles. Jesus had just spent the day teaching the crowds - and wanted to go to the other side of the Sea of Galilee. He was exhausted and soon fell asleep in the rear of the boat. A sudden storm came upon the little boat, and threatened to swamp them. The disciples were scared, and they awakened Jesus. They asked, "Don't you care if we drown?" (Mark 4:38, NIV) Jesus then calmed the storm and answered His disciples' question.

      Jesus' answer to His disciples applies to us today, too. Jesus said, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" (Mark 4:40) Jesus was present with His disciples during the storm. He was there to protect and comfort them. Today we encounter many storms in our lives, such as, illness, unemployment, the loss of a loved one, and crime. Jesus has told us that He will be with us during these storms. He promised us the Holy Spirit to comfort us. When we face storms in life, in faith, we can turn to the One who can calm the storms and bring us through them safely.