What Would Moses Say?

  • Lisa CfDevotionals
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2012
      What Would Moses Say?
      Exodus 14:10-31

      And when the Israelites saw the mighty hand�of the�Lord�displayed against the Egyptians, the people feared�the�Lord,�and put their trust in him and in Moses his servant.�(Exodus 14:31 NIV)

      The Egyptians were gaining on us, when God told me to hold up my staff and stretch my arm toward the Red Sea. The water would part, so we could travel safely on dry ground. Sounded peculiar to me, but I did not question the Lord of all - and I obeyed. It happened just
      as the Lord said.�

      The sea's water covered the Egyptians, their chariots, and cavalry. The men tried to run away, but failed to escape and drowned. None survived. Normally the Red Sea is so high a person can't stand up in it, but God made the sea low enough for us to walk through. There was a wall of water on each side, allowing us to walk on dry land, where a moment ago it was under water.�Something this amazing was beyond words, beyond the people's scope of belief.

      With this outward sign of God's power, the Israelite people began
      believing in God - and me as His servant.�The experience showed the magnitude of God, and the lengths He would go to bring us to safety. God used me to achieve this mighty miracle. The Lord never ceases to amaze me.

      Lord, May I be obedient and useful, so I can be a part of Your miracles. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

      Is there anything you doubt God can do?

      lisacfdev@...
      http://www.writingbylisa.com
      http://www.postapraise.com
    • Lisa CfDevotionals
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2013
        What Would Moses Say?

        Exodus 3:9-12, 4:1-8

        But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?"� (Exodus 3:11 NIV)

        God wanted me to go to Pharaoh, to bring the people out of Egypt. But who was I to do a large, momentous task? What credentials did I possess, to meet with Pharaoh? God said He would be with me. Guess that has to be enough.

        Why not pick someone with a clean background? Was this a test or a punishment? God never mentioned these incidents. His focus was on the now, and how I could help Him.

        I was glad God was going to save His people from oppression, but did He really want or need me? I knew plenty of men who could do the job; my brother Aaron does not mind talking. He's a natural. I was terrified to speak to Pharaoh. I was not good at making speeches; in fact, I avoided them at all costs.

        I came up with enough excuses why I could not be the man to help deliver God's people, and still God didn't back down. So I need to start seeing how I can be the person, why God wants me to be that man. God's faith has taught me that He does not hold any grudges against me or my past sinful actions. For that, I am grateful. I am not the same man I was then. God wanted to use the person I've become.

        God told me to cast my rod on the ground. I did, and it became a snake. God isn't kidding. God told me to take the viper by the hand, and when I reached for the snake, it became a rod once more. The Lord again proved His ultimate power through me, by making my healthy hand turn sickly - and then turning it perfectly healthy again.

        Lord, How can I be the person You want me to be? In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

        lisacfdev@...
        http://www.writingbylisa.com
      • Lisa CfDevotionals
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 24, 2013
          What Would Moses Say?

          Numbers 20:1-12, Deuteronomy 3:28, 31:2-3, 32:48-53, 33:1, 34:1-8

          I, Moses, died on a mountain. At 120 years old, I left the Earthly life. For a man my age, I had great eyesight and was full of pep. My death wasn't due to an accident or an illness; it was because of frustration and anger.

          God told me to do something one way, and I did it my way instead. Even a prophet is vulnerable to giving into his feelings. I led the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt, guided them to their next destination, educated the people regarding God's laws, and interceded for them. Wandering in the wilderness brought out the people's complaining streak and ungrateful attitude. I had enough.

          We were in need of water. God told me to talk to a certain rock, and water would come out. You may question talking to a rock, or even water flowing from one, but we had witnessed God making the natural supernatural, with His great power, many times. Nothing is too difficult for the Lord.

          I let the people's constant whining and negativity finally get to me. Instead of following the Lord's specific instructions, I raised my hand and hit the rock twice with my staff, and water poured out. Even in my disobedience, God supplied our needs.

          Immediately, God told me that He knew what I did, and my punishment was death. In hindsight, I should have shared my frustrations with the Lord, instead of taking them out on some defenseless, inanimate object.

          The sentence may seem harsh, but when you walk with God, and others depend on you for His wisdom and guidance, it is imperative to obey, in order to hear from the Lord. I should have listened to the Lord, and given Him praise and honor for being our provider.

          I didn't realize my humanity would cause my premature death. I was disobedient, and did not treat the Lord with respect, as I should. My actions meant no entrance into the Promised Land. I was able to see it with my own eyes, though, and for that I am grateful.

          While it is disappointing to come close, and yet still far from the goal, the Lord developed talents and traits I never knew existed in me.

          Before my demise, I blessed the people. I died on Mount Nebo in Moab, and the people mourned my passing - as was customary. Joshua led the Israelites to their rich and bountiful land. My body was buried in a valley, but no one knows exactly where. That is fine, as it is just a holding place for dust and bones. My soul went up to be with the Lord.

          lisacfdev@...
          http://www.postapraise.com
        • Lisa CfDevotionals
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
            What Would Moses Say?

            Matthew 17:1-9, Mark 9:2-8, Luke 9:28-36

            Two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. (Luke 9:30)

            Fast forward about 1,400 years from my death, and I found myself standing on a high mountain again. This time, it was for a different reason.�The servant of the Lord, Elijah and I met Jesus and three of His disciples, to pray. I imagine it wasn't a typical prayer session, as Peter, James, and his brother John were expecting. For one thing, they were shocked to see Elijah and myself, men who had been dead a long time.

            Right on the spot, Jesus' appearance was altered. He was transformed from being just Jesus of Nazareth to Jesus of Heaven. His clothing changed color and became glistening white. His face was as bright as sunlight.

            Elijah and I talked with Jesus about His upcoming death in Jerusalem. What a privilege to talk one-on-one with the Lord. May I never lose my awe of His glory.

            When I was alive, I was not under Jesus' covering, as He hadn't come to die for Earth's inhabitants yet. Those that are alive now will receive the wonderful gift of righteousness. Once Jesus' crucifixion takes place, God will declare them clean and blameless. All their sins - past, present, and future - will be null and void!

            The Lord's booming voice told the disciples to listen to Jesus, and that the Lord was well-pleased with His son. The men hid their faces until Jesus gently told them not to fear.

            When the men looked up, Elijah and I were gone from the mountain, back to Heaven. My visit back on solid, Earthly ground was brief, but long enough. I am thankful for the opportunity. I hope our words�encourage the men to believe in Jesus, to have no doubt that He is the Son of man, and to remember how glorious the Lord truly is.

            lisacfdev@...
            http://www.postapraise.com
          • Lisa CfDevotionals
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2013
              What Would Moses Say?
              Exodus 16:2-35

              Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from Heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions." (Exodus 16:4)

              Things were bad in Egypt, but the Israelites felt it was worse in the wilderness. In Egypt, they had food, but in the wilderness, they were starving. God sent down some meat and bread.

              With the food came rules and regulations. The Israelites could only gather what they needed, and were not to horde it for another day. Some didn't pay attention to God's commands. They were in for a shock, when they found maggots on the bread. Gross.

              The flaky bread called manna was a kind never seen before. Even though they received food and did not have to grow or hunt their meals, the people were ungrateful and not satisfied. They were tired of the menu, for it was the same thing every day, bread in the morning and meat at night.

              They were impatient, waiting for God to act, and when He did, it wasn't in the way they would have chosen.

              Lord, I want the fact that You love me to sink in. I want it to be more than a promise found in the Bible. Show me, concretely, how You love me. Allow me to receive this wonderful news, despite what I have believed about myself in the past, and despite what others may have said. Thank You, Lord. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

              Would you have been grateful, or would you complain like the Israelites did, if all you had was no variety of food, night and day?

              lisacfdev@...
            • Lisa CfDevotionals
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 2013
                What Would Moses Say?

                Psalm 90

                For a thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night. (Psalm 90:4 NIV)

                There never has been a time when God did not exist. Before the Earth was formed, before mountains were created, and any human being, God existed. Everything derives from Him. Just one word from the Lord and man returns to dust. Imagine that power, that reverence we owe to Him. He knows everything about anything and everybody. There are no surprises for God.

                He alone can turn people back into dust. Time does not hold the same value to God as it does to us. A thousand years to us represents an instant in His perception of time.

                There has been enough bad around here, I pray the Lord will allow good times to fall on us. I want to appreciate the time we have been given. We live 70 years, maybe 80 and what do we get? Trouble. I may change my perspective tomorrow, but right now things are pretty gloomy. May God give us some good news and affirm the work we have to do for Him. May He teach us to live well and to be wise.

                Lord, Use Moses’ sentiments to teach me how to spend my time on Earth. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

                lisacfdev@...
                http://www.writingbylisa.com Home of my classic television devotionals!
              • Lisa CfDevotionals
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2014
                  What Would Moses Say?

                  Now therefore, go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall say.” (Exodus 4:12 NKJV)

                  Exodus 3:7-4:17

                  How can you ask me to do this, Lord? I will need boldness and a tough skin. It isn't in my makeup to confront, let alone lead others and yet You want, rather, expect me to do this insurmountable feat. I don't get it. How am I going to do any good in this situation? Certainly there is a better, an easier way, Lord.

                  I wish to get past this crippling fear. It overtakes my life, my thoughts. It is something I am not proud of, but I don't know how to live any other way. I realize You will be with me. You told me so and that isn't enough to convince me that I can help free the oppressed. I don't feel as confident as You, God that I can truly do this. My oppression is not as extreme as the Israelites, yet I know what it is like to be controlled and haunted by an unwanted master. It's asking too much to believe I can be a different person. I just want to run and hide in a dark, deep cave. Deep down I know that wouldn't help, as I can't escape Your presence. That is something I can rejoice in, when all else fails.

                  Lord, May I be willing to ask You for the impossible. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

                  Why didn't Moses just ask God to help him be less timid?