What Would a Disciple Say?

  • Lisa CfDevotionals
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2012
      Happy Palm Sunday!

      What Would a Disciple Say?
      Mark 11:7-10

      Those who went in front and those who followed were shouting: "Hosanna! BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD;" (Mark 11:9)

      It was great to see people finally showing appreciation for Jesus, not that Jesus craved the attention. He was too humble to have an inflated ego. All the same, I was glad people were finally realizing that Jesus was not just an ordinary man.

      For His entry into Jerusalem, Jesus traveled by a colt and sat on our cloaks for a more comfortable ride. The people waved branches and spread their clothing on the ground, shouting blessing to the Lord as He rode past. It was a triumph. Not once before has there been such fanfare. I believe I caught myself smiling.

      I wanted this praise and craze for the Lord to trickle onto others. I wanted everyone to worship Jesus. It should never stop.

      I did not realize how Jesus was setting the scene for His betrayal and death. It was not an end to the opposition Jesus faced, or we, His disciples faced. It was the continuation of Jesus' sacrifice to us.

      Lord, If I were in that crowd on Palm Sunday, I'd be waving and cheering for Jesus. I praise Your name, most gracious king.

      How will you celebrate Palm Sunday?

      lisacfdev@...
      http://www.writingbylisa.com
    • Lisa CfDevotionals
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 15, 2012
        What Would a Disciple Say?
        Luke 24:36-40

        He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds?” (Luke 24:38)

        One day, while we were talking about Jesus, He just showed up, appeared right in front of us. Why was I surprised that the creator of all mankind didn’t need to use a door like I, a mere mortal does? He calmly greeted us in peace, but I and the other disciples were terrified. I don’t know why I thought Jesus was a ghost. I’ve never seen a ghost, but that’s how I imagined one would look. Jesus asked us why were frightened - and showed us the imprints from the nails and wounds in His feet; I gasped. He then asked for something to eat. We offered Him a piece of broiled fish and some honeycomb. He ate it. It was indeed the real Jesus, and not some spirit or figment of our imaginations.

        The memory of Jesus, on the cross that dark day, still felt very real. I need to get in the habit of believing the unexpected when it comes to the Lord. He doesn’t do things the conventional way. I sometimes have a narrow view of things. It’s nice that Jesus shakes up my thinking, from time to time.

        Lord, I believe and receive the glorious and unexpected favor that You want to bring into my life. I wait for You to deliver me from the problems that are trying to overwhelm me today. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

        lisacfdev@...
        http://www.writingbylisa.com
      • Lisa CfDevotionals
        Message 3 of 7 , May 26, 2013
          What Would a Disciple Say?
          John 15:1-8

          "Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you. In the same way that a branch can't bear grapes by itself, but only by being joined to the vine, you can't bear fruit unless you are joined with me." (John 15:4 MSG)

          Clip, snip, and trim. God is my gardener. Part of a gardener's job is pruning. Pruning is good, for it gets rid of anything harmful or unnecessary. If something isn't helping me grow, Jesus can get it out.

          Even though it's the right thing, pruning does not always feel the best. Sometimes the break is too hard; at times, it is long overdue. Jesus looks beyond my temporary pain and sees the overall outcome.

          Just like a plant, people cannot function without outside resources. People need to be nurtured, and to weed out things that hold them back. People have the ability and capacity to be self-reliant, but it is good to be planted around encouraging people, so we can return the favor to others in need. The key is letting God be in our life. Once I replaced my fears with His pruning shears, long-lasting success was soon a reality.

          Lord, What's keeping me from moving on? I want to bear much fruit, so snip and prune the areas that need it. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

          What needs to be pruned in your life?

          lisacfdev@...
        • Lisa CfDevotionals
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9, 2014
            What Would a Disciple Say?

            Matthew 23:1-39

            Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. (Matthew 23:23 NIV)

            I think I counted seven woes in Jesus’ speech. Jesus did not hold back His feelings regarding the religious leaders’ behavior. He called them hypocrites, and told of what horror awaits them because of their evil deeds. They pretend to be holy in public, but as soon as people’s backs are turned, they evict widows from their homes. They appear righteous; inside, these leaders are filled with evil. They obediently tithe, but forget about justice, mercy, and faith.

            These men take special attention to the outside but never look within. They enjoy being recognized for their status and leadership roles. How will these men escape condemnation? God will send them prophets and teachers, but to no avail. The leaders will kill and beat the innocent prophets, while denying it. They believe they are great, but the greatest is to be a servant.

            Jesus wanted to protect the people from the monstrosity, but the leaders were not willing to change. Jesus warned His listeners to respect the current leaders of the law. However, we should not condone or follow their evil behavior and actions. Alas, there was some good news in Jesus’ lament. If the leaders change their mind and declare “’Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord,’” (v39) they will have the Lord’s help and presence in their lives. If only they will listen!

            Lord, Thank You for showing me who to listen to. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

            Lisacfdev@...
            http://www.postapraise.com
          • Lisa CfDevotionals
            Message 5 of 7 , May 25, 2014
              What Would a Disciple Say?

              It should not be surprising that Jesus does things instantaneously; after all, He is God’s son. He changed the appearance of a fig tree by speaking to it. (Matthew 21:18-22) Jesus healed people the moment He touched them. (Matthew 8:3, 20:34, and Luke 13:10-13) What amazing sights to behold!

              There were times I expected, no wanted, the Lord to move sooner—and He did not. When He didn’t change things, it affected my feelings toward Him. I did not understand why He did not open Judas Iscariot’s eyes to the ramifications of Judas’ actions, even though Jesus could. In an instant, He could have changed the course of history. There would have been no need for Him to suffer, if He would have just opened the cynics’ eyes. He didn’t. Instead He accepted the Father’s will.

              Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice, when He didn’t act immediately, and allowed us to become righteous like Him. But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— (1 Corinthians 1:30 NKJV) Lord, Thankfully You know the perfect way!

              Have there been times Jesus immediately acted in your behalf? If so, what was the outcome, and did it affect your relationship with Him?

              lisacfdev@...
              Devotionals by Lisa Christine