Pastor Geoff's 10th Commandment Study Conclusion, Continued

  • cfdevcfpray
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2011
      Reverence for the Lord

      So the people are panic-stricken. In fact, they tell Moses that they don't even want to hear God directly. They prefer that Moses continues to act as intermediary for them, as direct confrontation with God will lead to their death, or at least so they believe. Now it is clear that God intends Moses to fill this role, and as we already saw, there was the promise of death for those who in disobedience set foot on the mount. We too need a mediator before we can approach the Lord. (see Hebrews 12:18-29) Christ is our mediator, so we can come before God, so that we have access to an enduring kingdom, one not shaken by earthquakes and thunderings.

      Moses then points out that God has appeared to test them. He desires them to fear Him, for as we already noted with fear comes obedience. We too must obey the Lord, and though we do so primarily out of love and a desire to please Him, we must recognize that even for us fear, awe is appropriate. Webster defines awe -

      a mixed feeling of reverence, fear, and wonder, caused by something sublime, etc.

      If the people recognize God for who He is one would hope this would lead to their obedience, not sinning. John also spoke for God to us, as believers towards the same end;

      My little children, I am writing these things to you that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have and Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ, the righteous.¦ (1 John 2:1).

      We will see that the Law was given to show men that they could not live up to God's standards, and that the sacrificial system was given to provide a ritual fulfillment of Christ's role as The Advocate for sin. The point is made clear here, as with the rest of Scripture, that God's standard really is that men do not sin.
      The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 6:23).

      We must recognize this as believers, and the unbeliever must come to realize it also if he is to be saved.

      To be continued.

      If you wish to respond to the author of this study, you may write him directly at GKragen@.... For additional Bible studies by Geoff, visit http://www.cfdevotionals.org/links/authgeof.htm. For more info about the author, visit www.GKRAGEN.com.