Tam's Devotion - 2011-02-02 - Who You Are in Christ Jesus

  • cfdev-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2011
      Originally Published 08-31-2007

      When we sin, we are separated from God. We are told in Isaiah 59:2, "But your inequities (our sins) have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear." There is no greater loneliness or emptiness than to be living a separated life from our Heavenly Father.

      He wants us to grow in the grace and knowledge of His fellowship. Once we acknowledge and repent of our sins, we will begin to learn who we are in Christ Jesus. It is important to understand who you are in Christ. Our life goes through a change when we accept Christ - much like having worn, old, dingy, holey, smelly clothes - and getting brand new ones! Think to a time when you received something brand new. Do you remember the new smell, maybe the way it shined, or its crispness? It's the same when you begin to look at your new life in Christ, and begin to recognize who you are in Him. There are three characteristics you should recognize almost immediately.

      First, you are REDEEMED:

      Just as Jeremiah, we see that we, after years of sin, we are redeemed. In Lamentations 3:58 Jeremiah said, "O, Lord, You have pleaded the case for my soul; you have redeemed my life."

      We are redeemed, as Luke in all of his sophistication stated in Luke 1:68, "Blessed is the Lord God of Israel, for He has visited and redeemed His People." Surely, one of our banners should and can boldly be presented as in Revelation 5:9, ". . . and you have redeemed us to God by Your Blood."

      Not only are we redeemed in Christ; you are ADOPTED:

      Romans 8:15, "For you did not receive the Spirit of Bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of Adoption, by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father." Because of our identity in Christ, because of who we are in Christ, we too are as sons (daughters), becoming Joint-Heirs with Christ. We are now children of God. He petitions us time-after-time to fellowship in His sufferings, but not his sufferings alone, but also in the strength and knowledge wherewith we are redeemed.

      As Paul said to Timothy in his second letter while in prison, "For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that day." Our adoption was signed by His death on Calvary, and made ready to stand against the enemy's attack - which is to try to cause us to doubt that adoption.

      Thirdly, you are, SEALED:

      In 2 Corinthians 1:21,22, "Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee." Sealed; no longer can Satan have authority over you, because of Christ Jesus and the shedding of His precious blood. You may now stand confident in His love for you. He has sealed you for all time. Ephesians 1:13 guarantees that "you were sealed with the Hold Spirit of promise."

      These are only three evidences of who you are in Christ. Each identification declaring that you are redeemed, adopted and sealed. Walk in the joy of your salvation. Continue to seek Him with your whole heart. Allow Him to show you himself, as He works in you and through you. Love and accept His instruction. Learn of His precepts; then apply and teach them to others. His Word will not return void. Abide in His redemption, adoption and sealing. Always keep pressing in to Him.

      Tam