Tim's Devotional, 12/02/2008

  • Jan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2008
      If you would like to respond to the author of this devotional, you may write him at GODRULESTB@....
      Today's verse: Colossians 1:16, "For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on Earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities - all things have been created by Him and for Him."

      Today's topic: All Things: 2

      Christ brought all things out of nothing. This was done by Him and for Him. He made all things for Himself. This is a hard concept probably for us to grasp, because we live in a world of pictures of Jesus, and images of Him hanging on the cross - all of them images, transgressing the second commandment (Exodus 20:4). It is a central reason why we don't have a proper understanding of the glory of Christ. We be-little Him by trying to represent His image, the image of God Incarnate, and this can't be done. Jesus Christ, who lowered Himself, "emptied Himself," by being made in the likeness of men, Philippians 2:7 cannot be subordinated and made insignificant, by fashioning Him into a picture. He is Lord of the Universe. He reigns in Heaven. "He was in the beginning with God," John 1:2. His glory is better seen, when we understand that all things were created by Him and for Him. He is not the subject of canvas spreads of smeared colors, daubed and applied according to the impression of an artist. "He was lifted up while they were looking on, and a cloud received Him out of their sight," Acts 1:9.

      The Universe was created by and for Christ. The Angels were created for and by Christ. Man was created for and by Christ. The animals were created for and by Christ. The Earth and Heavens were created for and by Christ. Hell was created for and by Christ. The last one might surprise us. We might just assume that hell is just this place that is "out there," that as followers of Jesus we really don't have to think about. On the contrary, hell is created by Christ as part of His moral government of the Universe. Even in hell, Christ reigns. He is sovereign even there. Christ has the keys to Kingdom of Heaven (Matthew 16:19), but He also says, "I have the keys of death and of Hades," Revelation 1:18. Christ is Ruler, even over the darkness of hell's eternal fire. And in hell, fallen angels and unrepentant sinners will "confess that Jesus is Lord, to the glory of God the Father," Philippians 2:10, 11.

      What does this mean for us today? It means we ought to live for Christ, to Christ, and in Christ. He made us. He made us for Himself. The surest way to fulfill the reason why we have been created, is to live for Him. This is why you exist. You exist to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ. He created you, and He redeemed you with His precious blood. There is a double reason to serve Him. He has twice made you for Himself. Have you ever considered that? You were created by and for Christ, but because of sin (Adam's sin, your sin), Jesus had to re-create you, by saving you through His Atonement for sin. Have you ever thought of it? Not only are you generated by Christ, but also you must be re-generated by Him.

      He created you. He created all things. Let us not be foolish enough to consider that He does not, and will not, continue to rule over all things. Simple wisdom begs us, implores us, to submit to Him in all things because "by Him, all things were created."

      Soli Deo Gloria, T-