Daniel Chapter 8, Continued

  • CfDevJan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007
      If you wish to directly contact the author of this Daniel study, you may
      write him at _GKragen@..._ (mailto:GKragen@...) . For more studies, please
      see http://www.gkragen and christian fellowship devotionals - geoff's bible
      studies - 1999-2006.com

      Daniel, Chapter 8

      We find a number of double fulfillments in Scripture. There are the two
      comings of
      Messiah, the first as the suffering servant, the second as the ruling king.
      We see the coming
      of Elijah as the herald of the king, first in type, as John the Baptizer, and
      the second which is
      yet to occur. And so here, too, we have the type of Antichrist, and in the
      future
      Antichrist - himself.

      And some 2,300 days and evenings later, or approximately three years,
      assuming that the
      number 2,300 encompasses both the day and the evening, Judas Maccabaeus on
      December
      14, 164 B.C., reconstructed the temple. 5 This reconstruction seems to have
      taken place about
      three years after Antiochus began the repression of Jewish worship. Keep in
      mind that these
      periods are not clear, but this seems to be the best understanding we can
      find. And just as
      Daniel foretold, Antiochus died of "natural" or possibly divine causes. And
      so as Antiochus
      falls to no human hand so Antichrist will fall to the hand of God. 6

      Daniel's final comment was to let the reader know that he was physically ill
      as a result of the
      vision. He was overwhelmed by the knowledge of the suffering that was yet to
      come for the
      Jewish people, and had an extremely difficult time dealing with the painful
      future. Why did
      his people need to go through such tribulation? And in the days to come, he
      will see that
      there was even more suffering that this vision foretold, and therefore he
      went to the Lord in
      prayer. And it is that concern we will examine next week.

      Remember, this world we live in isn't the one God created. It is the remains,
      after fallen man has messed around with it for an extended period of time.
      Things are going
      to get worse. Nothing is as we desire it to be. And there are times when,
      just like Daniel, we're
      sickened by what we find. But just as is the case with those who see glasses
      half-full versus
      half-empty, we can also see this day as one of great opportunity for
      believers. This doesn't
      occur by simply wearing rose-colored glasses and ignoring reality. It also
      doesn't mean that
      as some do, we must try to find in Scripture some way we are exempt from the
      real world.

      5 Archer, jr., Gleason L., the expositor's Bible commentary, "Daniel,"
      Zondervan, 1985
      6 Boice, p. 100.