2007-08-02- Under a Bushel

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2007
      Matt 5:15-16 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a
      bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in
      the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see
      your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven (KJV)

      If you walk into a dark room, what is the first thing you typically
      do? I start hunting for the light switch so I can turn it on and light
      up the room. To most of us this is immediately obvious. Thanks to Mr.
      Edison we have the gift of electric light, and the darkness in our
      homes, cars, offices and streets is no longer a problem. Unless there
      is someone sleeping in the room you don't want to awaken, the idea of
      not using the light switch is silly. The ability to see obstacles can
      prevent a fall or at least a few stubbed toes.

      I was talking with an associate. We were discussing the things we felt
      were important to succeed in life. My friend's assertion was that
      knowledge was one of the main keys. I agreed with him adding the
      proviso that required the ability or willingness to use that
      knowledge. He agreed, and I think the point is fairly clear. If you
      are reading this message, I must assume that you, or someone close to
      you, has the ability to read and probably to write as well. These are
      common tools in our civilization. In America, we are sent to school to
      learn these things at an early age, if we were not already taught by
      our parents before we started school.

      What if, for whatever reason, you decided not to exercise these tools
      or reading and writing? I'm sure the idea is ridiculous to you.
      However, consider having the ability to do something as fundamental as
      reading, and for fear of making a mistake, a person would refuse to
      read. Of course we make mistakes when we are learning, but that does
      not stop us. We keep trying and soon the task of decrypting the words
      and characters from a page happens almost without thought.

      So, why do we treat our Christianity differently?

      Many of us do. We allow the frustrations, or the weeds of everyday
      life to cover over the life that lives within us. Now, this is not to
      say that there are not days that will get us down, or simple
      exhaustion wear us down, or sad news will not grieve us. But, the day
      to day grind should not take us and turn us into powder. We know the
      joy of God's salvation and His Son, Who came willingly to save us from
      being eternally lost. We hold a treasure in our hearts that the world
      around us is starving to know. Instead of showing that power and
      light, we allow the little trials to wear at us and to become a bushel
      basket that covers our the light.

      You have the potential to be a light in a very dark room, in a dark
      world for that matter. Be willing to tap into the power that is
      offered to us. You might be surprised at how many people will ask what
      is different about you, or be impressed with your presence or
      character. These are keys that open doors to share the source of the
      light they see, that is your faith. If they scoff, you can remind them
      that they asked what was different, so there must be something to it
      all. The message will not always be received. But the receiving part
      is not your job. You are supposed to shine as a light. You have done
      your part. Pray that the Holy Spirit would open their hearts and minds
      to receive, and keep on being a light.

      Grace & Peace,
      Mike

      mike.hoskins@...