Cheryl's Devotional 04/02/2007

  • CfDevJan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2007
      If you wish to respond directly to the author of this devotional, you may
      contact her @ _botwbld@..._ (mailto:botwbld@...) .

      Originally published 10-31-2005

      Exodus 20:15 "Thou shall not steal."

      "Thou shall not steal." Simple and easy to understand, right? Yet, just this
      morning I was talking with my teenage daughter, who was shocked and amazed
      that a local school had expelled a student for giving a "burned" CD to a friend.
      Much of today's society has set their limits on the "sin level." In other
      words, if it doesn't hurt this person, why does it matter? Or if this person never
      finds out, and how can they, then they can't be hurt by it, so why does it
      matter? Or even "but everyone does it, so why does it matter?" Why have we
      forgotten or chosen to ignore the simple commandments of the Bible?
      My daughter asked me, "How can it hurt them, if they don't know?" Is it right
      to take something away from someone simply because they had more than we did?
      This artist works hard to do their job. This is their job; it's how they make
      their money, support their household. Even if they never do find out, and
      chances are they probably won't, it will hurt them, simply because it has taken
      away something that is rightfully theirs. The fact that they may remain
      ignorant of it doesn't make it right or acceptable.
      However, more importantly, it's not about them. It's really about you - and
      how it affects you. People think that things like this don't affect them. I
      admit, shamefully, that even I felt this way once about burning CDs. But God's
      convicting power came to me and explained His will to me. When everything is all
      finally said and done, it is really all about you. Why? Stealing is a sin.
      "Thou shall not steal." It doesn't have addendum to it, which allows for
      stealing if ... No, it's simple and straightforward.
      We want to add on to the Word and make exceptions to it. Because it suits us,
      then it must be ok, but our lives are not about ourselves. Truly, they are
      about God and God's will for us. His will is not for us to decide what is good
      and right and acceptable, but to simply follow what He tells us is good and
      right and acceptable. He understands far more than we do, how impossible that
      really is for us. There are many, many things that are now considered "the norm"
      in our society today. Although it is easy to follow, let us instead be
      convicted of the truth of God's Word and follow it, simply and earnestly.
      Thou shall not steal." Let us not steal from God, either. Let's be willing to
      give Him everything and trust Him implicitly, disregarding our own opinions
      and desires, and instead following Him.
      Lord, help us today, to take the Word as Your word of truth. Help us be
      convicted in all areas of our lives. Help us especially, Lord, not to take anything
      for granted or to become complacent in our relationship with You. Give us the
      strength to stand strong and alone, if necessary, to accomplish Your will for
      our lives. Let us not just run in the race, but let us run with all of our
      hearts, strength, mind, and soul toward You. Let our lives glorify You and You
      alone. And let us be a light to show others who You truly are.
      In Jesus' name, Amen.