Not Meant To Be

  • lisa@cfdevotionals.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 2:19 PM
      Not Meant To Be

      I applied for a writer position at a reputable ministry. The new job would be
      a big adjustment, moving further away from family and friends to a large
      metropolitan city. The draw of working in a Christian environment was more
      enticing than the reality of moving and starting over from scratch.

      I mailed in my application, and a few weeks later, I received a message from a
      ministry representative to set up a phone interview. On the application, there
      was a section that asked if there were any issues the ministry needed to know
      about.

      I left that part blank, but the ministry's human resources employee asked the
      question during the phone interview. So I decided to be upfront and tell her
      about my weight problem. She asked how much weight I had to lose. I felt
      transported back to gym class, with the fit instructor sizing you up. I told
      the interviewee the number, and immediately there was silence on the line, as
      she wrote the amount down. Somehow I didn't feel right, telling this stranger
      about my personal life.

      The woman told me about the ministry's dress code and other regulations that I
      would need to be disciplined to. Toward the end of the interview, I was asked
      what my salary requirements would be. I didn't think my response was too
      extravagant. After the interview, I felt this distaste in my mouth, like the
      ministry wanted a super-Christian. Soon I remembered that "all have sinned
      and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace
      through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." (Romans 3:23-24 NIV)

      I never heard back about the job, and I will never know if the reason was due
      to finances or my appearance or both. It took awhile, but soon I felt peace
      about not getting the job. It just wasn't God's will for me. "Be joyful always;
      pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for
      you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV)

      Lord, I ask that You show me what step I am to take next. In Jesus' name I
      pray, Amen.

      Lisa
      www.writingbylisa.com