Tim's Devotional 12/02/2006

  • cfdev_jan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      To respond to this devotional please write the author,
      GODRULESTB@....

      Today's verses: Psalm 1:1 2, "Blessed is the man who does not walk in
      the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in
      the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and
      on his law, he meditates day and night."

      Today's topic: Seeking a Blessing

      We are all seeking after happiness. Sometimes something that might
      make one happy will not result in joy in another. In Bolzano, Italy a
      judge is having to consider if a designer toilet that plays the
      country's national anthem when it is flushed is a national offense.
      It was seized by police from the city's art museum recently. Lawyers
      have their arguments on both sides. But the reality is that while
      some argue the patriotic nature of the commode, others consider it a
      national disgrace.

      It is true that what will give one joy may not another. However, this
      Psalm directs us to a happiness that is for everyone. The reality of
      how we each work out this blessedness varies with the person, but the
      principle still stands. The one who walks and delights in the law of
      the Lord and does not follow after wickedness is blessed.

      No one seeks misery. We all seek happiness. Even those who live self-
      destructive lifestyles, when asked "Why?" will reply that it makes
      them happy. This Psalm starts out by giving us some good parental
      advice. The one who follows the Lord and forsakes the ways of the
      wicked is blessed. It is simple, but in its simplicity, we find a
      truth that we have all learned by both observation and experience.

      It is often the case that those who begin to walk in the counsel of
      the wicked do not plan to stay there long enough to end up sitting in
      the seat of mockers. Often sin is viewed as something that we indulge
      for a season or in a moment of weakness. But that is rationalization
      and justification to appease a conscience that is screaming at our
      foolishness. It is not the path to blessedness. We know it, but all
      too often indulge the flesh and wooing of the world anyway.

      When we read "law of the Lord" in verse two, let us simply read it as
      the Scriptures. So we could render the passage (in a very loose
      transliteration) "Happy is anyone who finds joy in the Word of God
      and has regular devotions." I did say it was a loose translation of
      the second verse. However, we know this is true. When we have regular
      times meeting with God in prayer and Bible reading/study, we feel
      closer to Him and further from sin. Sin will easily keep us from
      Bible reading and prayer, and Bible reading and prayer go a long way
      in combating sin in our lives.

      If I had started out this short devotional by asking you if you
      wanted to be blessed, I am sure you would have thought, "Sure. Who
      doesn't want a blessing? Who would turn down a blessing? Who doesn't
      feel it is about time they had a blessing?" Well, you have just been
      informed how to have a blessing, and I didn't tell you; the Lord did
      in His Holy Word. "Blessed is the man who does not walk in the
      counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the
      seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on
      his law he meditates day and night."

      Soli Deo Gloria, T-