Assumptions

  • lisa@cfdevotionals.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006
      Assumptions

      One weekend when I was in elementary school, I was riding bikes with my
      younger cousin around my grandparents' neighborhood. When we returned to their
      home, I fell off the bike and slightly scratched my grandmother's vehicle. I
      felt so bad about the car. It wasn't that much damage and I offered to pay for
      any repairs out of my allowance.

      My grandma epitomized Ephesians 4:32 that day. "And be kind to one another,
      tender-hearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you."
      (NKJV) Grandma tried to console me. She didn't feel it was necessary for me to
      pay for the scratch, for it was an accident. Grandma never mentions that
      incident now, and it hasn't altered our close and loving relationship. She
      probably doesn't think about that car, now long gone.

      Even though I apologized, I felt I couldn't make up for my mistake. I assumed
      I would forever be a klutz in my family's mind. I didn't want them to think of
      me as careless and accident-prone.

      It's the similar feeling I have when I need to approach Jesus and ask for His
      forgiveness for something I did or failed to do. I would rather avoid talking
      to my Lord than for Him seeing me in a less than favorable light. Thank
      goodness God doesn't agree with my assessment. "But when the kindness and love
      of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had
      done, but because of his mercy..." Titus 3:4-5 (NIV)

      God wants us come to Him beaten down, guilty, or disgraced to receive His
      gracious forgiveness and not wallow in our mistake. He yearns for us to
      experience His acceptance. How could anyone not want a heavenly and caring
      father?

      God,
      Thank You for not keeping a scorecard on how many times I come to You defeated
      and mistaken. Thank You for always accepting my repentant heart. In Jesus'
      name I pray, Amen.