Tim's Devotional 08/02/2006

  • cf_jan
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 5:08 PM
      Please note: Due to technical difficulties this week, we are unable
      to send the final installment of Cheryl's series on Divine Love. We
      hope to be able to do so next week. Meanwhile, we are delighted to be
      able to share another interesting and insightful devotional in Tim's
      Summer Question Series.
      ------
      Today's verse: Psalm 107:20, "He sent His word and healed them, and
      delivered them from their destructions."

      Today's topic: Summer Question #11

      Today's question: "Well here goes on a question that I have been
      having a problem with for a while. I have a very dear friend that
      goes to a healer. She claims he heals. One of my other friends went
      to him to see what it was all about and he had said that she had
      something wrong with her and the next day she had a colon problem
      (which she get every now and then) She will not go back to him. But
      the other one believes in his healings. Does God send these people
      down to do this work or is this something I need to stay clean of. He
      is Gnostic. He does do prayer and he does say that he has to get out
      of the way to let God come through. But I don't know if I can believe
      that stuff. Thanks for doing this kind of thing."

      Before we start today, I would like to comment on the devotional that
      was sent out on Monday, 7-31-06. It dealt with thoughts, including
      vile thoughts intruding in our worship and prayer times. The general
      question was asking if this is normal, and I stated that I did not
      think this was normal. I do feel that it is more common that we have
      wandering thoughts in worship and prayer, but vile, evil thoughts - I
      still don't think are normal. However, based on the responses I
      received to what I wrote, I have to admit that evil thoughts
      intruding in our lives, and specifically in our prayer times and
      worship times, are probably a lot more common than I realized. I do
      hope that if you struggle with this affliction, that what was written
      on Monday is helpful to you, and that you will be able to turn to
      Christ during these frustrating times.

      Respecting today's question, I think with a little common sense, you
      know the answer here. But I will use a little basic logic to get us
      started. It makes little sense to say you are a Gnostic, claim to
      be a healer, pray to a god you don't believe in, and claim that in
      order for your healing powers to work, you have to "get out of the
      way." It simply is a complete contradiction. I have serious doubts
      that someone who claims that they doubt God exists, and yet prays to
      him admitting that their powers don't work unless this God, who they
      doubts exists, works - is worth going to see, even if he was paying
      you to see him.

      Respecting the office of healing in general, I do believe that God
      does heal, and we pray to that end. However, I don't believe that
      there is a specific office of a healer in the church today. You may
      object, and say that there were many healings in the New Testament.
      I agree that there are many healings in the New Testament, but I
      would call these Apostolic gifts, and the office of Apostle ended
      when the last of the twelve died around 1900 years ago. The claim of
      some to have healing powers has recently crept into the church.
      However, this view that there are those gifted to heal is relatively
      new in the church. The church has historically held that the office
      of a healer was an Apostolic gift. I would put the recent occurrence
      in the churches of the healer office as something that 2 Timothy 4:3
      warns us about, "they will accumulate for themselves teachers in
      accordance to their own desires."

      I want to maintain that The Lord is a healing God (Genesis 20:17,
      18), and even go as far as to say that He can use people to heal.
      However, I don't believe that this is His normal mode of operation in
      our lives. The Lord is not bound by norms or rules as we are, but is
      above them. He may use someone to heal another, but it is the Lord
      who does the healing, and His activity in that would be a special act
      of mercy. We would also want to maintain that if the Lord is pleased
      to heal someone, He does not need the means of a healer, but rather
      could heal that person without the intervention of anyone. The fact
      that He might choose to use someone to heal another is just as
      understandable as if He choose to not use someone, and worked through
      other means.

      I do want to thank you for your question. I would not recommend that
      you go see this confused healer, but rather rest in the Lord. I
      would encourage your friend to do so also. May it be said of us as
      the Psalmist says in Psalm 24:6, "This is the generation of those who
      seek Him, who seek Thy face."

      Soli Deo Gloria, T-

      Comments or questions?
      Write GODRULESTB@...