Geoff's Study on Daniel, Installment 6

  • cf_jan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2006
      Note from Jan: In sending out Installment 5, I accidentally forgot to
      include the footnote sources. I apologize for this oversight. Mike
      will correct it at the website, and here are the sources Geoff also
      used for last week's installment of Daniel:

      7 Larson, Gary N., revised, The New Unger's Bible Handbook, Moody
      Press, Chicago, IL, 1966, p. 293.

      8 McGee, J. Vernon, Thru the Bible with J. Vernon McGee, Vol.
      3, "Daniel," Thomas Nelson Inc., Nashville,TN 1982, p. 525.
      ------------
      Geoff's Study Continued:

      3. Prophecy: Obviously prophecy was a major part of the life of
      Daniel as a leader in Babylon. The prophetic aspects of the book are
      introduced in chapter Two, but fully explored in chapter Seven, on to
      the end of the book.

      The key verse to the Book of Daniel is Daniel 2:44.
      "In the time of those kings, the God of heaven will set up a kingdom
      that will never be destroyed, nor will it be left to another people.
      It will crush all those kingdoms and bring them to an end, but it
      will itself endure forever." 9

      Let me finish up this introduction by quoting Dr. McGee's conclusion
      to his introduction to the study.

      "Dr. G. Campbell Morgan gave this theme from the Book of
      Daniel: "Persistent Government of God in the Government of the
      World." This is the book of the universal sovereignty of God.
      Prophecy is here interwoven with history to show that God is
      overruling the idolatry, blasphemy, self-will, and intolerance of the
      Gentiles.

      "More specially, Daniel 12:4 brings together "… the times of the
      Gentiles …" (Luke 21:24) and "the time of the end" (see also Dan.
      8:17; 11:35, 40) for the nation Israel in the Great Tribulation
      Period.

      "This coming crisis eventuates in Christ's setting up the millennial
      kingdom. "But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book,
      even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge
      shall be increased." (Dan. 12:4).

      "The Book of Daniel deals with political issues apart from
      ecclesiastical matters, giving the final outcome of events and issues
      which are at work in the world today. He answers the question—Who
      will rule the world?—not, How will the world be converted?" 9

      9 McGee, J. Vernon, Thru the Bible with J. Vernon McGee, Vol.
      3, "Daniel," Thomas Nelson Inc., Nashville,TN 1982, pp. 525-526

      Comments or questions?
      Write GKragen@...