2006-03-02 - Homesick

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      Originally Published 1996-10-10 - Updated

      John 14:1 - Let not your heart be troubled; believe in God,
      believe also in Me. 2 In My Father's are many dwelling places; if it
      were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for
      you. 3 And if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again, and
      receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And
      you know the way where I am going. 5 Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do
      not know where you are going, how do we know the way?" 6 Jesus said to
      him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the
      Father, but through Me.

      It has been a long hard day, week, month, year... well, when you get
      right down to it, as Twila Paris says, "Life is hard, but God is
      good." Life is hard. Job says that man is born to trouble as the
      sparks fly upward. We are born in trauma, we live day to day finding
      the best way through and the lessons from our trials. The world rails
      on us; friends let us down. The enemy schemes against us, and our own
      flesh betrays us. Our final trial takes us into the arms of Jesus. He
      has promised to receive us to Himself (John 14:3). Think of that. Each
      one that knows Him as their Savior, He will greet and lead to Heaven.
      In difficult times, it is very easy to get down, or to think of our
      home as far away. Jesus told Pilot that His Kingdom is not of this
      world, and neither are we. We are in the world, but not of it. It no
      longer has any claim to us or to our hearts.

      God is good. Look at the first words from this section. "Let not your
      heart be troubled." Jesus is always concerned for us, mentally,
      emotionally, physically and spiritually. How many times did He tell
      the apostles to be at peace, or rest in Him? The first words Jesus
      says to the disciples after His resurrection were, "Why are you
      troubled, ..." (John 24:38). His first words to Mary Magdalene in the
      garden that first Resurrection Day morning were, "Woman, why are you
      weeping?" (John 20:15). He knows our hearts just as He knows the
      hearts of Mary, Matthew, Mark, Peter and every other blood-bought
      child of His, including you and me.

      In that time that seems so dark, turn to Jesus and let Him bring to
      your mind the wondrous things He is preparing for us. He has walked
      the path and marked the way so we can follow. At the end of that path
      is a city of such staggering beauty that human words fail to properly
      describe it. The dwellings, by some fairly conservative estimates,
      could be as much as 80 cubic acres of the New Jerusalem. I will be
      happy with whatever He has made for me. Knowing how much love Jesus
      has already displayed, that is not a huge step of faith. Streets paved
      with pure gold, and foundation stones of dimension and unspeakable
      beauty. All of this will be centered around and lit by the glory of
      God the Father and of the Lamb, Jesus Christ.

      So, now you may still be homesick, but at least it is the happy kind
      of homesick. The best part of any trip is getting home. We have yet to
      imagine what home will be like for us. Except that it comes from the
      limitless imagination of the One who created us and loves us most.

      Homesick anyone?

      Lord Jesus, we thank you for the glimpses that You have given us into
      tomorrow. A time when we will see You face to face and wipe away all
      the tears and pain of this life. Guard our frail hearts against fear
      and depression. And teach us to look to You and the wonders You are
      preparing for us, when they do settle in and lay siege to our hearts.
      Teach us to fear not, and to be at peace. Amen.

      Grace & Peace,
      Mike

      mhoskins@...