2004-12-02 - An Eternal Moment

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2004
      Heb 9:27-28 And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once
      and after this comes judgment, 28 so Christ also, having been offered
      once to bear the sins of many, shall appear a second time for
      salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him. (NAS)

      My Sister-in-Law passed from this life Tuesday morning. We had all
      just spoken with her and her husband on Thanksgiving day. She was a
      friendly, gentle spirit. She had a mild disability, but played the
      piano beautifully. She was remembered to me as a wonderful mother to
      her children. And, most importantly on Tuesday morning, she knew Jesus
      Christ as her Savior from sin.

      From Adam to the thief on the cross, to this very moment in time and
      beyond, every man, woman and child that lives now or has every lived
      prior (save two) face death. Death is something most people resist.
      But death does not have to be the enemy that is loathed and feared.
      For the Christian, death can be a release from this life to be with
      their Savior. Now, please don't mistake me. I'm not suggesting that
      death is something to be sought. God has us here for a purpose and
      things to teach us here. But death is not the end any more than the
      cocoon is the end for the caterpillar.

      There are two moments to consider here. Tuesday morning when her heart
      stopped was the moment of release from this life for my sister-in-law.
      But years before she had made a decision to accept Jesus as her Lord
      and Savior. And in that moment her eternal destiny was changed from
      eternal separation from God to eternal life with Him. She was sealed
      against that day, and her debt of sin was marked - paid in full.
      Because of that fact, we do not dispair. We grieve our separation. But
      we look forward to the day we will be together again.

      What is the status of your ledger. Is it paid in full too? If it is
      not, it is time to consider the alternatives. Jesus promises us a home
      for eternity full of the light of His life and power. He promises that
      we will be healed of all our ill and wounds. And that we will life the
      way He always wanted us to live - as brothers and sisters. We will sit
      like Mary, at His feet learning from the Master. Read the last chapter
      or two of the Revelation if you want a description of this amazing city.

      The best case for the alternative is eternal separation from the love
      of God. The unending despair of that thought alone is horrific. Please
      take the time to consider this before your destiny is sealed for
      eternity. What needs to be done? Repent of your sins. This is a fancy
      way of saying turn your back on your sins. Agree with God that they
      are wrong and you want to live His way, free from sin. Ask for God's
      forgiveness for the sins you have committed. He is always ready to
      forgive you if you are serious. Ask Jesus to come into your life and
      be your Savior from sin. He promised anyone who asked sincerely that
      He would do just that.

      Does this mean that you will never stumble? No. But it does mean that
      you are forgiven and you are on the right path. If you have made this
      decision and know of a good Bible-believing local church, you should
      start attending if possible. There is a lot to learn about this new
      life you have entered. There may be a class for new Christians that
      would be very helpful. If you do not know of such a church in your
      area, please write us and we will do our best to help find you a good
      church in your area.

      We can never know when the sands of the hourglass will finish running.
      Be ready.

      John 14:3 "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come
      again, and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be
      also. (NAS)

      Lord Jesus, give people reading this the courage they need to make a
      decision for You today. Amen.

      Grace & Peace,
      Mike