Lenten Characters, Part 4

  • rijan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2004
      The Crowd
      Devotional 04-02-2004

      Sometimes following the crowd is a terrible idea. The crowd has been known to
      influence people to join gangs, take or sell illegal drugs, mock someone who
      is different. But there is one crowd that had it right:

      Matthew 21:6-11 (NASB)
      The disciples went and did just as Jesus had instructed them,
      and brought the donkey and the colt, and laid their coats on them; and He
      sat on the coats. Most of the crowd spread their coats in the road, and others
      were cutting branches from the trees and spreading them in the road. The
      crowds going ahead of Him, and those who followed, were shouting,
      "Hosanna to the Son of David;
      BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD;
      Hosanna in the highest!"
      When He had entered Jerusalem, all the city was stirred, saying, "Who is
      this?"
      And the crowds were saying, "This is the prophet Jesus, from Nazareth in
      Galilee."

      This crowd realized that Jesus was no ordinary man, not just "a good teacher"
      or "nice guy;" rather, He was of God, and He came "in the name of the Lord."

      This crowd realized he was worthy of praise. According to Webster's 1913
      Dictionary, "hosanna" translates as "a Hebrew exclamation of praise to the Lord."

      We can get caught up in many worthwhile activities, from helping those in
      distress to taking care of our families. These are God-given opportunities for
      service. But the very most important thing we ever do, is our worship of God.
      Someone has said that the Christian's work is worship. And it's something we all
      can do.

      Even if we can't perform what our society considers "productive" work, we can
      perform the most important work of all. If we are poverty-stricken, we can
      still worship. If we are in prison, we can still worship. If we are trapped in a
      body from which we cannot speak, we can praise God in our spirits. In fact,
      the late Christian author, Henri Nouwen, discovered that the mentally
      challenged people whom he cared for are often more adept at this important work than
      those of us who are able-minded and able-bodied.

      I challenge you (and myself) today to follow the crowd, and worship God more
      often - not just in our local church, though that is His will for the large
      majority of us. We should worship God daily, even moment-by moment. Our entire
      lives are to be an act of worship.

      Romans 12:1 (NASB)
      Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies
      a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual
      service of worship.

      Comments or questions?
      Write Rijan@...