Fence-Sitting

  • rijan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2004
      Devotional  01-02-2004
      Encore from 01-30-1998

      Jesus isn't fond of fence-sitting. He isn't interested in half-hearted disciples.

      (Mat 12:30 NKJV) He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.

      Note Jesus didn't say we that only those who are notorious sinners are against Him. He said if we are not with Him, we are against Him - strong words. Being lukewarm is unacceptable (Rev 3:16). He wants our total commitment; He wants our whole heart, our entire lives. He doesn't want to rule over everything except our time, or everything except our money, or everything except our relationships. There is to be no holding back. He is to rule ALL of our lives.

      (John 17:14-16 NAS) I have given them Thy word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15 "I do not ask Thee to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one. 16 "They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

      We are to be in the world but not of it. When people look at us, do they see a difference in our lives, a difference that points to Christ? A difference in the way we treat people? A difference in our habits? A difference in our reactions to situations? If someone looked in our checkbook registers, would it show we are with HIM?

      There needs to be something discernibly unique about us, which sets us apart from the world. In fact, the word "holy," which we as God's children are to be, literally means "set apart." We need to set apart our lives as living sacrifices (Rom. 12:1, NKJV). We need to be taking part in HIS mission, participating in HIS plan. We need to "get with HIS program." Are we using our abilities, our gifts, our energy, our time, to further His Kingdom?

      Dear Father, please use us and all You have given us, for Your purposes, to spread Your gospel, to fulfill Your plans. In Jesus' name amen.