Notice: cet-india.org website to be shut down

  • Sujit T Zachariah
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2002

      Friends:

         The original cet-india.org website was developed in 1996 by a handful of dedicated alumni to promote the interests of the college and its alumni. It was conceived primarily as a stop-gap arrangement to meet the needs of a web presence until an official portal was to be developed by the College.

         Built using static HTML and basic scripts, the site has clearly outlived its intended life span. Six years later, using its basic infrastructure, it has enabled over twelve hundred alumni from all over the world to keep in touch with each other and the evolution of numerous class and group mailing lists.

         Over the years, there have been at least five or six endeavors from individuals and small groups to develop a better site, but none have born fruition. There are still calls to create a better portal but frankly very little volunteer action.

         In the meanwhile, while we still await an official website from our college (frankly, a shame for a leading technical institution in a country that is considered a software powerhouse), a couple of official websites related to the college have crept up.

      1. Alumni Association (http://www.cetaa.com)

      2. Architecture Department (http://www.archicet.com)

      We applaud the initiative taken by the respective organizations and we greatly encourage our fellow alumni to visit the official alumni association and enroll as members of CETAA, the official alumni association.

         As mentioned, we, at cet-india.org, believe that the website has outlived its expected life and has met its intended goals. Unable to draw any volunteer maintenance, it has lived in a dormant state for a few months. The site will continue in the frozen state (no update requests will be processed) for the next few months and will be completely shut down on November 1, 2002 (when the current commercial server hosting period ends). The mailing list (cet-india@yahoogroups.com) will continue to be available as the primary means of communication between the alumni members.

         We have enjoyed serving our fellow alumni community for the past six years and apologize for any inconvenience caused.

      Thanks,

      Sujit Zachariah (for cet-india.org)