Re: A conversation with Dave: The re-read, the blogosphere, and more.

  • jtraci
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
      Sounds great. Except for the yahoo-as-base thing. Wouldn't it be wiser
      to set it up as a real blog at one of these…blog places?
      Or Margaret's site?

      If someone not familiar with the yahoo groups were to search
      ("google", if you prefer) on "Dave Sim" or"Cerebus" does the
      yahoo-thing come up as a result?
    • Margaret
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
        On 9/1/06, jtraci <jtraci@...> wrote:
        Sounds great. Except for the yahoo-as-base thing. Wouldn't it be wiser
        to set it up as a real blog at one of these…blog places?
        Or Margaret's site?

        To have it on the front page, with a link to the "starting message" as Jeff has done for the Night Flight press release, would not only intitate some discussion on it, but when potenial members stop by to take a look see, and see Dave's "blog" - they'll be more apt to stop and check out the group.

        The only downside to having it here, is being able to find those posts later on. I'll also post them on my CFG forum, if that is okay - and then link to the original post, that way they'll be easier to find.

        Or prehaps an mixing of the two: have a blog, but also have the most recent blog entry on the front page of the group? At the blog, a link can be made to the group, and for each particlular new blog entry, a link can be made to that post at the group?

        If someone not familiar with the yahoo groups were to search
        ("google", if you prefer) on "Dave Sim" or"Cerebus" does the
        yahoo-thing come up as a result?

        The yahoo!group comes in at # 9 on google for Cerebus and not in the top 20 of google for "Dave Sim" (I couldn't be bothered to look further).

        --
        Take care,
        Margaret
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
          On 9/1/06, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

          Coming Wednesday, Sept 13th!!

          ____________Dave Sim's____________

          blogandmail

          Daily hectoring from the Pariah King of comics!

          sweet!

          The title is an homage to Canada's globeandmail. (And all Dave's, Mr. Seiler)

          Also, I must say, Dave sounded great. Positive. Like he had a "fire in his belly." We talked about Siu Ta, Silverfish, The Scripture Readings, the internet, Gerhard, work, etc.  Shared a few laughs. He lifted my spirits this time:)

          Excellent news. Thanks for the lowdown.

          Take care,
          Margaret

          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
            --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "jtraci" <jtraci@...> wrote:

            > Sounds great. Except for the yahoo-as-base thing. Wouldn't it be
            wiser
            > to set it up as a real blog at one of these…blog places?
            > Or Margaret's site?

            ---------- I mentioned that. But, since this is where people gather,
            and is the place pointed to in the current trade printings, etc, he
            wanted to do it here. Keep everything centralized.

            > If someone not familiar with the yahoo groups were to search
            > ("google", if you prefer) on "Dave Sim" or"Cerebus" does the
            > yahoo-thing come up as a result?

            ----------- If you type in Cerebus Newsgroup in google, a bunch of
            listing come up referencing it, as well as links to it on my sites,
            Margaret's, Wikipedia, etc.

            -Jeff
          • Steve Bolhafner
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
              --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "jtraci" <jtraci@...> wrote:

              > Sounds great. Except for the yahoo-as-base thing. Wouldn't it be wiser
              > to set it up as a real blog at one of these…blog places?
              > Or Margaret's site?
              >
              > If someone not familiar with the yahoo groups were to search
              > ("google", if you prefer) on "Dave Sim" or"Cerebus" does the
              > yahoo-thing come up as a result?

              We're in the "top ten" results that you get on the first page of a
              Google Search. #1 is a Wikipedia article (which links to the group
              along with a bunch of other places at the bottom), and the top ten
              also includes Margaret's page.

              I would be surprised if Margaret wasn't already planning on archiving
              Dave's posts here on her site.

              Steve Bolhafner
            • Steve Bolhafner
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006

                #92. Barely in the top 100. Nobody will ever find it that way.

                Steve Bolhafner
              • Jeff Seiler
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006

                  -----Sorry for your loss, Jeff.

                  > Anyway.
                  >
                  > Dave called me yesterday and we had a little chat. He had an idea
                  on how
                  > to contribute to the group and get more "Cerebus content" in here.
                  > told him I understood that newbies could be discouraged, but
                  there's not
                  > much new to talk about - y'know? But when someone starts a new
                  topic,
                  > people generally jump in. But it's the same crew that's read and
                  re-read
                  > the book a dozen times...
                  >
                  > So he' going to start a blog... sort of. Now, I had to take this
                  > opportunity to "clear the air" a bit.
                  >
                  > I told him that this was going to cause some confusion, as he was
                  > sending some pretty mixed signals. I explained how I and others,
                  > including Gerhard, felt that the responses to his last questions
                  were a
                  > blow off. That he was done.
                  >
                  > He mentioned that "insert your own smileys" line, to which I
                  responded:
                  > no, that was fine. Blunt is fine. It was the content. For example,
                  the
                  > "did you wish to add anything to 289/290" question - it was a
                  deliberate
                  > setup for you to expound on your "men grow from sperm, women grow
                  from
                  > eggs" line. You blew it off. The question about the weak and strong
                  > nuclear force being unreconcilable -- well, that kind of destroys
                  the
                  > whole idea of a Unified Field Theory. Another blow off. And more
                  than
                  > once you expressed frustration that no one gets it, you're wasting
                  your
                  > time. If that's how you feel, that's fine. 2 years of Q&A was a
                  blessing
                  > and I don't think anyone has a right to expect anymore - but if
                  we're
                  > going to do this, I have to know your thoughts on this 'cause I'm
                  not
                  > the only one who's going to be confused.
                  >
                  > So, he all-but-apologized for the situation, the result of being
                  > hen-pecked and attacked for 12 years. And maybe, I suggested, he
                  should
                  > have held off until his schedule was a little lighter.
                  >
                  > You can't escape Cerebus. Cerebus still pays the bills, and Dave
                  sees
                  > his presence here as part of the job, so....
                  >
                  > The re-read is back on, full throttle. I already told him we were
                  > beginning miscellany discussion soon, and about the mountain of
                  leftover
                  > questions from the last round.
                  >
                  > Does anyone else need the miscellany reread stories? So far, only
                  Rick
                  > and Ed Howard took me up on the offer.

                  -----I must have overlooked the offer, but I could definitely use
                  them. I probably have a few, but only a few. Based on what you've
                  written here, I'm assuming that the Q&A would continue in its prior
                  form and would not be a part of the blog; is that correct?

                  > OK, now the next part. The "blog." What's going to happen, starting
                  > September 13th (we hope) is Dave is going to forward posts to me
                  to add
                  > to the group. A "teaser" will appear on the home page, with a link
                  > the full post. Any thread discussion will of course follow, with
                  Dave's
                  > PO Box address posted for those who want to respond directly. The
                  > content? Only Dave knows, but he says he wants to keep people
                  informed
                  > on the still ongoing world of Cerebus.
                  >
                  > Personally, I think it's a fantastic idea. A way to get new input
                  from
                  > Dave in a way that in no way detracts from the wild format we know
                  and
                  > love! And provides a direct-to-relative-content link for newbies.
                  >
                  > So, we spoke a couple more times today as we hammered out the
                  display
                  > and function on the home page (which Mr. Seiler already spotted)

                  -----Dude, we're bunkies. My dad is *Mr.* Seiler; you can call me
                  Jeff. Or, as usual, shithead.

                  > and he
                  > checked it out at the library to confirm (which should reveal
                  another
                  > truth behind an ongoing rumor - does Dave read the newsgroup? Yes,
                  > sometimes he does indeed).

                  -----Yeah, he's dropped a few lines in his letters that seemed to
                  intimate that he dropped by here from time to time. Probably when
                  he's bored with drawing and needs inspiration. I imagine that he
                  would get bored with most of the talk here, so it would quickly
                  inspire him to get back to drawing. :)

                  -----Seriously, man; make it shithead.

                  -----Isn't he great when he's in a good mood?

                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
                    > > The re-read is back on, full throttle. I already told him we were
                    > > beginning miscellany discussion soon, and about the mountain of
                    > leftover
                    > > questions from the last round.
                    > >
                    > > Does anyone else need the miscellany reread stories? So far,
                    only
                    > Rick
                    > > and Ed Howard took me up on the offer.
                    >
                    > -----I must have overlooked the offer, but I could definitely use
                    > them. I probably have a few, but only a few. Based on what
                    you've
                    > written here, I'm assuming that the Q&A would continue in its
                    prior
                    > form and would not be a part of the blog; is that correct?

                    ========= Correct.
                    ========= OK, here's a partial re-post of the original offer. Let me
                    know what you need (that goes for anyone else, too.

                    Email me directly through Yahoo, or at my email address
                    jctundis@..., with a list of the stories you need. I will verify
                    your membership to this group, and email you a zip file for each
                    story. If you don't have winzip, you can download the free trial from
                    www.winzip.com.

                    I have stuck to the canonical stories only, so that we can
                    concentrate on relevance to the story proper and timeline. The
                    stories are:

                    1390 The Girl Next Door
                    1391 His First Fifth
                    1393 Selling Insurance
                    1394.1 Squinteye The Sailor
                    1394.2 Add One Mummified Bat
                    1402 The Defense Of Fort Columbia
                    1403.1 A Friendly Reminder (+ Michelle)
                    1403.2 Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
                    1404.1 His First Sword
                    1404.2 A Well-Equipped Bar
                    1404.3 The Applicant
                    1404.4 The First Invention Of Armour
                    1406 TMNT 8
                    1407 The Frost Giants' Wedgie
                    1410 The Challenge
                    1411.1 Passage
                    1411.2 Demonhorn
                    1411.3 Cerebus vs The Spirit
                    1411.4 Cerebus Dreams
                    1411.5 A Night on the Town
                    1412.1 The Name of the Game is Diamondback
                    1412.3 The Morning After!
                    1412.4 Magiking
                    1412.5 Silverspoon
                    1413 What Happened Between Issues 20 & 21
                    1414.1 Exodus
                    1414.2 Cerebus Dreams II
                    1414.3 An Untold Tale of the Secret Sacred Wars
                    1415.1 Square One
                    1415.2 Like-A-Looks

                    =========== You got it.

                    > -----Seriously, man; make it shithead.

                    =========== Yeah, yeah, I got it. Man, what a shithead.

                    He lifted
                    > my
                    > > spirits this time:)
                    > >
                    > > Kismet.
                    >
                    > -----Isn't he great when he's in a good mood?
                    >

                    > > -Jeff

                    ============ Oh, yeah.

                    -Jeff ;)
                  • Matt Dow
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
                      On 9/1/06, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

                      OK, finally caught up. Would have been faster had I gotten online last weekend, but I was in a bit of a funk after my cousin's body was found hanging in his garage Saturday morning. I'll spare you the grisly details...

                      Ya know my Willem DaFoe story?  The one about my aunt and uncle?  Yeah, that aunt just died.  As you were saying.

                      Anyway.

                      Dave called me yesterday and we had a little chat. He had an idea on how to contribute to the group and get more "Cerebus content" in here.

                      YAY!

                      I told him I understood that newbies could be discouraged, but there's not much new to talk about - y'know? But when someone starts a new topic, people generally jump in. But it's the same crew that's read and re-read the book a dozen times...

                      You're talking about me right?

                      So he' going to start a blog... sort of. Now, I had to take this opportunity to "clear the air" a bit.

                      A'ight.

[...]

                      See, THIS is why I thought somebody should ask DAVE if DAVE wanted to keep answering questions.

                      So, he all-but-apologized for the situation, the result of being hen-pecked and attacked for 12 years. And maybe, I suggested, he should have held off until his schedule was a little lighter.

                      You can't escape Cerebus. Cerebus still pays the bills, and Dave sees his presence here as part of the job, so....

                      The re-read is back on, full throttle. I already told him we were beginning miscellany discussion soon, and about the mountain of leftover questions from the last round.

                      Does anyone else need the miscellany reread stories? So far, only Rick and Ed Howard took me up on the offer.

                      I dunno, I'll check.  I have damn near everything.

                      OK, now the next part. The "blog." What's going to happen, starting September 13th (we hope) is Dave is going to forward posts to me to add to the group. A "teaser" will appear on the home page, with a link to the full post. Any thread discussion will of course follow, with Dave's PO Box address posted for those who want to respond directly. The content? Only Dave knows, but he says he wants to keep people informed on the still ongoing world of Cerebus.

                      So, is Dave gonna get the thread forwarded to him?

                      Personally, I think it's a fantastic idea. A way to get new input from Dave in a way that in no way detracts from the wild format we know and love! And provides a direct-to-relative-content link for newbies.

                      So, we spoke a couple more times today as we hammered out the display and function on the home page (which Mr. Seiler already spotted) and he checked it out at the library to confirm (which should reveal another truth behind an ongoing rumor - does Dave read the newsgroup? Yes, sometimes he does indeed).

                      Really?

                      So if we ask questions and he sees them, he'll answer them? OK!
                      1. Why an aardvark?

                      2. What was the deal with Sir Gerrick?

                      3. Given the story logic of Cerebus at issue 200, the explanation of Mrs. Thatcher's survival of the fall of Iest as either:
                      A. She was saved by the Big Round Glowing White Strange Thing (BRGWST), or some other miraculous means or,
                      B. She's a double, and not the same Thatcher,
                      don't make sense.

                      As one of the themes of Mothers and Daughters, is the ending of the magical element of Cerebus' world (as specifically seen in Flight), Thatcher being saved by the BRGWST would sorta go against this trend.

                      And since Rick's reaction to Thatcher suggests it's either the same women, or her identical twin sister, that rules out a Double.

                      Let's look at the story.

                      Thatcher exits stage left on page 56 of Women.  And is last mentioned on page 57.  She then enters stage right in Guys, miles away from Iest.  How could she go from one to the other?  Well, what do we know about Thatcher?  She's Upper Party (as it were,) as evidenced by her being the one chosen to deal with Lord Julius' niece (in Jaka's Story), and that she has direct audiences with Cirin (in Flight).  She is even allowed to be hands on with the planning/building of the "Ascension Forge" (patent pending).

                      So it's not unreasonable to assume she falls somewhere near the top of the line of succession in the Cirinists. (I assume that even though Cirin (Serna) is a dangerous paranoid, she still has plans in case she dies. Much like the President, er, the succession part, not the paranoid part.)

                      So, Thatcher is last seen when the forge has extraordinarily constructed itself without a ladle.  It is entirely possible that she was then sent away by Cirin as a precaution in case something went wrong during the ascension.  Or, she may have been sent away after the tower fell (not the upper city, but the small protrusion that crushes the Regency.)  Or, she may have just left after the tower fell.

                      Either way, the ascension seems to effectively remove magic from the world.  (I assume that "Dave" has to use it all up to ascend Cerebus and Cirin.)  And I believe that the "doubles" are products of magic.

                      The most famous double, Oscar, can be explained away by magic.  When he was living with them, Cerebus kept hearing about Oscar, Rick's friend.  But, he never meets Oscar.  So, it's conceivable, that Cerebus' magnifier used his desire to meet Oscar to produce the Melmoth Oscar.  But, because Cerebus was emotionally dead, this caused the Oscar his magnifier brought forth to be terminally ill.

                      99% of the other doubles show up in Mothers and Daughters, and seem to be ways of removing fantastic and magical elements from the story.  The Judge, the Elf, etc...

                      So, most likely scenario: Thatcher survived the fall of Iest... by not being in Iest.

                      My question for Dave is then, "What do you think of this theory?" (Knowing that whenever I come up with an outlandish theory like this, and I ask Dave, he says I'm wrong.)

                      So.......

                      Coming Wednesday, Sept 13th!!

                      ____________Dave Sim's____________

                      blogandmail

                      Daily hectoring from the Pariah King of comics!

                      The title is an homage to Canada's globeandmail. (And all Dave's, Mr. Seiler)

                      Also, I must say, Dave sounded great. Positive. Like he had a "fire in his belly." We talked about Siu Ta, Silverfish, The Scripture Readings, the internet, Gerhard, work, etc.  Shared a few laughs. He lifted my spirits this time:)

                      That's not Dave!  "Why..won't...this...wig...come...off?"

                      Kismet.

                      -Jeff

                      Matt
                      (See, this is why they keep me around.)

                    • Jeff Seiler
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006

                        -----I'll get right on it.

                        -----Thanks.

                        > > -----Seriously, man; make it shithead.
                        > >

                        > =========== Yeah, yeah, I got it. Man, what a shithead.

                        -----Hey! See if I ever drink your free wine or accept a free Dave
                        Sim print from you again! Hmmph!

                        > He lifted
                        > > my
                        > > > spirits this time:)
                        > > >
                        > > > Kismet.
                        > >
                        > > -----Isn't he great when he's in a good mood?
                        > >

                        > > > -Jeff
                        > > >

                        > ============ Oh, yeah.
                        >
                        > -Jeff ;)

                      • Margaret
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
                          On 9/1/06, Steve Bolhafner <sbolhafner@...> wrote:
                          --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "jtraci" <jtraci@...> wrote:

                          > Sounds great. Except for the yahoo-as-base thing. Wouldn't it be wiser
                          > to set it up as a real blog at one of these…blog places?
                          > Or Margaret's site?
                          >
                          > If someone not familiar with the yahoo groups were to search
                          > ("google", if you prefer) on "Dave Sim" or"Cerebus" does the
                          > yahoo-thing come up as a result?

                          We're in the "top ten" results that you get on the first page of a
                          Google Search. #1 is a Wikipedia article (which links to the group
                          along with a bunch of other places at the bottom), and the top ten
                          also includes Margaret's page.

                          I would be surprised if Margaret wasn't already planning on archiving
                          Dave's posts here on her site.

                          Steve Bolhafner

                          Ahh, Steve. You know me too well. :D

                          I have been taking "posts" from Dave, i.e when someone writes a transcript of a telephone call or a letter from Dave, and reposting them on the CFG forum, as it is easier to sort and find them there - in a folder called "Dave Speaks". If the posts are relevant to Cerebus - I'll copy and paste into the Wiki as need be.

                          --
                          Take care,
                          Margaret
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006

                            ======== Yup.

                            ========= Timing, my friend. Timing.

                            =========== If he asks. At the end of every post he'll list his PO Box address in Kitchener for correspondence by "escargot mail." If someone says something that he realllllllllly needs to respond too, we'll cross that bridge then.

                            So if we ask questions and he sees them, he'll answer them? OK!

                            1. Why an aardvark?
                            ------ read Following Cerebus #6.

                            2. What was the deal with Sir Gerrick?
                            ------ <groan>
                            ;)

                            ======== Maybe. But so is Rick's containment spell.

                            ======== No it doesn't. Rick's unstable. He would have been freaked out either way.

                            ========== I sure like it. Especially the Thatcher part. "She was nowhere near Iest at the time" make a hell of a lot more sense.

                            ========== So send Dave a letter. And he'll tell you you're wrong in writing;^)

                            ========== That, and those adorable cheeks;)

                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
                              --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Seiler" <seilerjeff@...> wrote:

                              > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Tundis" <jctundis@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I have stuck to the canonical stories only, so that we can
                              > > concentrate on relevance to the story proper and timeline. The
                              > > stories are:
                              > >
                              > > 1390 The Girl Next Door
                              > > 1391 His First Fifth
                              > > 1393 Selling Insurance
                              > > 1394.1 Squinteye The Sailor
                              > > 1394.2 Add One Mummified Bat
                              > > 1402 The Defense Of Fort Columbia
                              > > 1403.1 A Friendly Reminder (+ Michelle)
                              > > 1403.2 Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
                              > > 1404.1 His First Sword
                              > > 1404.2 A Well-Equipped Bar
                              > > 1404.3 The Applicant
                              > > 1404.4 The First Invention Of Armour
                              > > 1406 TMNT 8
                              > > 1407 The Frost Giants' Wedgie
                              > > 1410 The Challenge
                              > > 1411.1 Passage
                              > > 1411.2 Demonhorn
                              > > 1411.3 Cerebus vs The Spirit
                              > > 1411.4 Cerebus Dreams
                              > > 1411.5 A Night on the Town
                              > > 1412.1 The Name of the Game is Diamondback
                              > > 1412.3 The Morning After!
                              > > 1412.4 Magiking
                              > > 1412.5 Silverspoon
                              > > 1413 What Happened Between Issues 20 & 21
                              > > 1414.1 Exodus
                              > > 1414.2 Cerebus Dreams II
                              > > 1414.3 An Untold Tale of the Secret Sacred Wars
                              > > 1415.1 Square One
                              > > 1415.2 Like-A-Looks
                              >
                              > -----I'll get right on it.
                              >

                              > > > -----Dude, we're bunkies. My dad is *Mr.* Seiler; you can
                              call
                              > me
                              > > > Jeff. Or, as usual, shithead.
                              > >
                              > > =========== You got it.
                              >
                              > -----Thanks.
                              >

                              > > > -----Seriously, man; make it shithead.
                              > > >

                              > > =========== Yeah, yeah, I got it. Man, what a shithead.
                              >
                              > -----Hey! See if I ever drink your free wine or accept a free
                              Dave
                              > Sim print from you again! Hmmph!

                              =========== All just part of my master plan to keep you indebted to
                              me forever!! Bwa-HA-HA!

                              -Jeff
                            • Matt Dow
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
                                On 9/1/06, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

                                I told him I understood that newbies could be discouraged, but there's not much new to talk about - y'know? But when someone starts a new topic, people generally jump in. But it's the same crew that's read and re-read the book a dozen times...

                                You're talking about me right?

                                ======== Yup.

                                Knew it.

[...]

                                "You mean you could have pulled your hand out of those handcuffs at any time?"
                                "No, only when it would have been funny."

                                OK, now the next part. The "blog." What's going to happen, starting September 13th (we hope) is Dave is going to forward posts to me to add to the group. A "teaser" will appear on the home page, with a link to the full post. Any thread discussion will of course follow, with Dave's PO Box address posted for those who want to respond directly. The content? Only Dave knows, but he says he wants to keep people informed on the still ongoing world of Cerebus.

                                So, is Dave gonna get the thread forwarded to him?

                                =========== If he asks.

                                I assume he'll want it, but only if it's relevant.

                                At the end of every post he'll list his PO Box address in Kitchener for correspondence by "escargot mail."

                                It actually took me a minute to get that joke.

                                If someone says something that he realllllllllly needs to respond too, we'll cross that bridge then.

                                A'ight (see, I DO speak ghetto.)

                                So if we ask questions and he sees them, he'll answer them? OK!

                                1. Why an aardvark?
                                ------ read Following Cerebus #6.

                                I did, it was a joke.

                                2. What was the deal with Sir Gerrick?
                                ------ <groan>
                                ;)

                                Joking!

                                3. Given the story logic of Cerebus at issue 200, the explanation of Mrs. Thatcher's survival of the fall of Iest as either:

                                A. She was saved by the Big Round Glowing White Strange Thing (BRGWST), or some other miraculous means or,

                                B. She's a double, and not the same Thatcher,
                                don't make sense.

                                As one of the themes of Mothers and Daughters, is the ending of the magical element of Cerebus' world (as specifically seen in Flight), Thatcher being saved by the BRGWST would sorta go against this trend.

                                ======== Maybe. But so is Rick's containment spell.

                                Rick's containment spell was explained as the LAST of Cerebus' magnifier leaving Cerebus and going with Rick.  And, other than not being able to touch the twigs, Cerebus not being able to leave was mostly in his head.

                                And since Rick's reaction to Thatcher suggests it's either the same women, or her identical twin sister, that rules out a Double.

                                ======== No it doesn't. Rick's unstable. He would have been freaked out either way.

                                ASSUMPTION: Dave had the bit with "the Queen of All Demons" from Rick's Story already mapped out in his head when he was writing Guys.  (Dave has said that the majority of Rick's Story writing before he ever started.)  So, that would mean that it's 99% likely that it's the same Thatcher (no matter what today's Dave says.) (Especially considering that Dave himself admits that details of Cerebus go away if he hasn't looked at the relative story lately.)

[...]

                                This is what I'm saying.

                                ========== So send Dave a letter. And he'll tell you you're wrong in writing;^)

                                Actually, this is the kind of thing Gerhard wants me to send Following Cerebus.  If I do, it'll be the bit about Jaka and the fuzzy black shirt, and I'd title it "Misreading Cerebus".  Thoughts?

                                Matt
                                (See, this is why they keep me around.)

                                ========== That, and those adorable cheeks;)

                                -Jeff

                                Wait a second, I have a beard...Ewww...
                                Matt

                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
                                  --- Matt Dow <mouseskull@...> wrote:

                                  > On 9/1/06, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

                                  > See, THIS is why I thought somebody should ask DAVE
                                  > if DAVE wanted to keep
                                  > answering questions.

                                  Um, no shit. People were acting like their feelings
                                  were hurt and no one wanted to actually think that he
                                  might just be funning a bit or having a bad day.

                                  Dave's never been shy about answering a direct
                                  question...unless no one asks it!

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
                                    ========= Timing, my friend. Timing.

                                    "You mean you could have pulled your hand out of those handcuffs at
                                    any time?"
                                    "No, only when it would have been funny."

                                    ++++++++ Precisely. (Imagine me saying that in my Sean Connery voice)

                                    So, is Dave gonna get the thread forwarded to him?

                                    =========== If he asks.

                                    I assume he'll want it, but only if it's relevant.

                                    +++++++++ I hope so. I certainly don't want to spend that kind of
                                    time every day pasting up quotes into a letter to send him. I'm too
                                    busy for that.

                                    At the end of every post he'll list his PO Box address in Kitchener
                                    for correspondence by "escargot mail."

                                    It actually took me a minute to get that joke.

                                    +++++++++ Someone used it in a letter, and Dave got a kick out of it.

                                    ++++++++++ Me too:)

[...]

                                    ++++++++ And She-Shep's powers. Maybe he was trying to bring magic
                                    back in?

                                    ========== So send Dave a letter. And he'll tell you you're wrong in
                                    writing;^)

                                    Actually, this is the kind of thing Gerhard wants me to send
                                    Following Cerebus. If I do, it'll be the bit about Jaka and the
                                    fuzzy black shirt, and I'd title it "Misreading Cerebus". Thoughts?

                                    ++++++++++ Do it. FC could always use entertaining content when/if
                                    they get back on schedule.

                                    Matt
                                    (See, this is why they keep me around.)

                                    ========== That, and those adorable cheeks;)

                                    -Jeff

                                    Wait a second, I have a beard

                                    ++++++++ And a hairy ass.

                                    ...Ewww...
                                    Matt

                                    ++++++++ Ditto.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
                                      --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer <rlsharer@...> wrote:

                                      > --- Matt Dow <mouseskull@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > On 9/1/06, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > See, THIS is why I thought somebody should ask DAVE
                                      > > if DAVE wanted to keep
                                      > > answering questions.
                                      >
                                      > Um, no shit. People were acting like their feelings
                                      > were hurt and no one wanted to actually think that he
                                      > might just be funning a bit or having a bad day.
                                      >
                                      > Dave's never been shy about answering a direct
                                      > question...unless no one asks it!
                                      >
                                      > TTM

                                      ---------- I actually mentioned there were some who wanted to just
                                      ignore his response and send the next batch of Qs anyway - and that
                                      I found the concept disrespectful. "He gave us 2 years, what more do
                                      you want??"

                                      ---------- To which he responded "10! 20! You know the answer to
                                      *that* one."

                                      ---------- It's called respect.

                                      ---------- And timimg. Timing and respect.. or ... respect the..
                                      timing. Something like that.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
                                        --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer <rlsharer@...> wrote:

                                        > > See, THIS is why I thought somebody should ask DAVE
                                        > > if DAVE wanted to keep
                                        > > answering questions.
                                        >
                                        > Um, no shit. People were acting like their feelings
                                        > were hurt and no one wanted to actually think that he
                                        > might just be funning a bit or having a bad day.
                                        >

                                        > > See, THIS is why I thought somebody should ask DAVE
                                        > > if DAVE wanted to keep
                                        > > answering questions.
                                        >
                                        > Um, no shit. People were acting like their feelings
                                        > were hurt and no one wanted to actually think that he
                                        > might just be funning a bit or having a bad day.

                                        I wasn't acting as if my feelings were hurt. I was acting as if
                                        Dave considered our questions to be attacks on his soul by our
                                        demons and that answering them would mean falling into their trap.
                                        So what was going to be the point of subjecting Dave to a monthly
                                        assault on his soul?

                                        > Dave's never been shy about answering a direct
                                        > question...unless no one asks it!

                                        I'm sorry, but "Nice try, but you're not going to trick me into
                                        blaspheming" doesn't constitute answering a direct question.

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
                                          --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Tundis" <jctundis@...> wrote:

                                          > ---------- It's called respect.
                                          >
                                          > ---------- And timimg. Timing and respect.. or ... respect the..
                                          > timing. Something like that.

                                          Timing, respect, and a fanatical devotion to the Pope.

                                          I'll come in again...

                                          - Larry Hart
                                        • Chris W
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Sep 2, 2006
                                            Awesome!

                                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Sep 2, 2006
                                              --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <larrytheillini@...> wrote:

                                              > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Tundis" <jctundis@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > ---------- It's called respect.
                                              > >
                                              > > ---------- And timimg. Timing and respect.. or ... respect the..
                                              > > timing. Something like that.
                                              > >

                                              > Timing, respect, and a fanatical devotion to the Pope.
                                              >
                                              > I'll come in again...
                                              >
                                              > - Larry Hart

                                              --------- Nobody expects the Cirinist Inquisition!

                                              -Jeff
                                            • TIP
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 2, 2006
                                                Whoa...that IS awesome. What's the homepage going to
                                                be? Here? Somewhere else?

                                                Sorry, I've been WAY out of the loop.

                                                HREF="http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/news/112499595451490.htm">The

                                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Sep 2, 2006
                                                  --- Larry <larrytheillini@...> wrote:

                                                  > > > See, THIS is why I thought somebody should ask
                                                  > DAVE
                                                  > > > if DAVE wanted to keep
                                                  > > > answering questions.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Um, no shit. People were acting like their
                                                  > feelings
                                                  > > were hurt and no one wanted to actually think that
                                                  > he
                                                  > > might just be funning a bit or having a bad day.
                                                  > >

                                                  > I wasn't acting as if my feelings were hurt. I was
                                                  > acting as if
                                                  > Dave considered our questions to be attacks on his
                                                  > soul by our
                                                  > demons and that answering them would mean falling
                                                  > into their trap.
                                                  > So what was going to be the point of subjecting Dave
                                                  > to a monthly
                                                  > assault on his soul?

                                                  You (and others) were reading WAY too much in his

                                                  > > Dave's never been shy about answering a direct
                                                  > > question...unless no one asks it!
                                                  > >
                                                  > I'm sorry, but "Nice try, but you're not going to
                                                  > trick me into
                                                  > blaspheming" doesn't constitute answering a direct
                                                  > question.

                                                  I think he answered it, and you read into it majorly
                                                  incorrectly.

                                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Sep 2, 2006
                                                    It'll be here. A sort of blog-within-a-group.

                                                    You can see the logo and planned format on the home page of this
                                                    yahoo group.

                                                    -Jeff

                                                    --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, TIP <tippongo@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                    > > > already spotted) and he
                                                    > > > checked it out at the library to confirm (which
                                                    > > > should reveal another
                                                    > > > truth behind an ongoing rumor - does Dave read the
                                                    > > > newsgroup? Yes,
                                                    > > > sometimes he does indeed).
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > So.......
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Coming Wednesday, Sept 13th!!
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > ____________Dave Sim's____________
                                                    > > > [blogandmail]
                                                    > > > Daily hectoring from the Pariah King of comics!
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > The title is an homage to Canada's globeandmail.
                                                    > > > (And all Dave's, Mr.
                                                    > > > Seiler)
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Also, I must say, Dave sounded great. Positive.
                                                    > > Like
                                                    > > > he had a "fire in
                                                    > > > his belly." We talked about Siu Ta, Silverfish,
                                                    > > The
                                                    > > > Scripture Readings,
                                                    > > > the internet, Gerhard, work, etc. Shared a few

                                                  • TIP
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Sep 2, 2006
                                                      Cool beans.

                                                      Thanks for the head's up!

                                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Sep 2, 2006
                                                        --- Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

                                                        > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer
                                                        > <rlsharer@...> wrote:
                                                        > >

                                                        > > --- Matt Dow <mouseskull@...> wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > > On 9/1/06, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > > See, THIS is why I thought somebody should ask
                                                        > DAVE
                                                        > > > if DAVE wanted to keep
                                                        > > > answering questions.
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Um, no shit. People were acting like their
                                                        > feelings
                                                        > > were hurt and no one wanted to actually think that
                                                        > he
                                                        > > might just be funning a bit or having a bad day.
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Dave's never been shy about answering a direct
                                                        > > question...unless no one asks it!
                                                        > >
                                                        > > TTM
                                                        > >

                                                        > ---------- I actually mentioned there were some who
                                                        > wanted to just
                                                        > ignore his response and send the next batch of Qs
                                                        > anyway - and that
                                                        > I found the concept disrespectful. "He gave us 2
                                                        > years, what more do
                                                        > you want??"
                                                        >
                                                        > ---------- To which he responded "10! 20! You know
                                                        > the answer to
                                                        > *that* one."
                                                        >
                                                        > ---------- It's called respect.
                                                        >
                                                        > ---------- And timimg. Timing and respect.. or ...
                                                        > respect the..
                                                        > timing. Something like that.

                                                        If *Dave* had said it was bad timing, or if Dave had
                                                        said he wasn't getting respect, then OK.

                                                        I read his answers, and not once did I infer from them
                                                        that he wanted (us) to stop.

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Sep 2, 2006
                                                          --- Margaret <cerebusfangirl@...> wrote:

                                                          > On 9/1/06, Steve Bolhafner <sbolhafner@...>
                                                          > wrote:
                                                          > >
                                                          > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "jtraci"
                                                          > <jtraci@...> wrote:
                                                          > > >
                                                          > > > Sounds great. Except for the yahoo-as-base
                                                          > thing. Wouldn't it be wiser
                                                          > > > to set it up as a real blog at one of these…blog
                                                          > places?
                                                          > > > Or Margaret's site?
                                                          > > >
                                                          > > > If someone not familiar with the yahoo groups
                                                          > were to search
                                                          > > > ("google", if you prefer) on "Dave Sim"
                                                          > or"Cerebus" does the
                                                          > > > yahoo-thing come up as a result?
                                                          > >
                                                          > > We're in the "top ten" results that you get on the
                                                          > first page of a
                                                          > > Google Search. #1 is a Wikipedia article (which
                                                          > links to the group
                                                          > > along with a bunch of other places at the bottom),
                                                          > and the top ten
                                                          > > also includes Margaret's page.
                                                          > >
                                                          > > I would be surprised if Margaret wasn't already
                                                          > planning on archiving
                                                          > > Dave's posts here on her site.
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Steve Bolhafner
                                                          > >

                                                          > Ahh, Steve. You know me too well. :D
                                                          >
                                                          > I have been taking "posts" from Dave, i.e when
                                                          > someone writes a transcript
                                                          > of a telephone call or a letter from Dave, and
                                                          > reposting them on the CFG
                                                          > forum, as it is easier to sort and find them there -
                                                          > in a folder called
                                                          > "Dave Speaks". If the posts are relevant to Cerebus
                                                          > - I'll copy and paste
                                                          > into the Wiki as need be.
                                                          >

                                                          > --
                                                          > Take care,
                                                          > Margaret
                                                          > http://www.cereb.us/wiki

                                                          You mean I can finally delete all those emails?

                                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Sep 3, 2006
                                                            --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer <rlsharer@...> wrote:

                                                            > --- Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:
                                                            >
                                                            > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer
                                                            > > <rlsharer@> wrote:

                                                            > > DAVE
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > Um, no shit. People were acting like their
                                                            > > feelings
                                                            > > > were hurt and no one wanted to actually think that
                                                            > > he
                                                            > > > might just be funning a bit or having a bad day.
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > Dave's never been shy about answering a direct
                                                            > > > question...unless no one asks it!
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > TTM
                                                            > > >

                                                            > > ---------- I actually mentioned there were some who
                                                            > > wanted to just
                                                            > > ignore his response and send the next batch of Qs
                                                            > > anyway - and that
                                                            > > I found the concept disrespectful. "He gave us 2
                                                            > > years, what more do
                                                            > > you want??"
                                                            > >
                                                            > > ---------- To which he responded "10! 20! You know
                                                            > > the answer to
                                                            > > *that* one."
                                                            > >
                                                            > > ---------- It's called respect.
                                                            > >
                                                            > > ---------- And timimg. Timing and respect.. or ...
                                                            > > respect the..
                                                            > > timing. Something like that.
                                                            >
                                                            > If *Dave* had said it was bad timing, or if Dave had
                                                            > said he wasn't getting respect, then OK.
                                                            >
                                                            > I read his answers, and not once did I infer from them
                                                            > that he wanted (us) to stop.
                                                            >
                                                            > TTM

                                                            ------ Well, even Gerhard thought something was wrong, so there was
                                                            *something* there.

                                                            ------ In any event, let's not argue about this. The good news is
                                                            that Dave's "back" and the level of understanding is better. Good
                                                            news all around. Let's just be happy:)

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Sep 3, 2006
                                                              --- Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

                                                              > > > ---------- It's called respect.
                                                              > > >
                                                              > > > ---------- And timimg. Timing and respect.. or
                                                              > > > respect the..
                                                              > > > timing. Something like that.
                                                              > >
                                                              > > If *Dave* had said it was bad timing, or if Dave
                                                              > had
                                                              > > said he wasn't getting respect, then OK.
                                                              > >
                                                              > > I read his answers, and not once did I infer from
                                                              > them
                                                              > > that he wanted (us) to stop.
                                                              > >
                                                              > > TTM
                                                              > >

                                                              > ------ Well, even Gerhard thought something was
                                                              > wrong, so there was
                                                              > *something* there.

                                                              That's puzzling, true.

                                                              > ------ In any event, let's not argue about this.

                                                              Excellent idea! You know me, I absolutely *hate* to
                                                              argue.

                                                              > The
                                                              > good news is
                                                              > that Dave's "back" and the level of understanding is
                                                              > better. Good
                                                              > news all around. Let's just be happy:)

                                                              Sounds like a plan. :)

                                                              http://mail.yahoo.com