Dave's Answer's to The Last Day Q's (May/Jun)

  • ctowner1@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 461 , Jun 15, 2006
      Here they are again...Deave's answers....

      L nny

      The Last Day Q's (May/Jun)

      Q1. Almost four years removed from the grand dream sequence, do you
      still feel confident in the idea that you have presented a Unified
      Field Theory given that some critics have said the science is suspect
      in places (failing to reconcile the actual processes of the strong
      nuclear force with the weak nuclear force, for example), and that the
      nature of it being divinely inspired makes empirical testing
      impossible?

      DAVE: I'm afraid that I'm really kind of snowed under with work at
      the moment (finishing up "Hypothetical Cerebus and the Necronomicon
      Monks" from a T. Casey Brennan script for a benefit comic book for
      ACTOR that's due in July among other things) so this is apt to come
      across as far more blunt than I intend it to be. Please feel free to
      mentally insert smiley faces, winky eyes, lopsided grins, ho-ho-ho's
      and IMHOs as required so as to ameliorate any emotional trauma.

      In other words do I agree with you that atheism is the only
      sensible choice? No, I don't believe so. I've made my case for my
      viewpoint and if I suddenly come to the crushing overwhelming
      awareness that the only thing that makes sense is to become like you
      again I'll be sure to let you know.

      The strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force are
      irreconcilable, in my view. That's the whole point of the debate.
      The weak nuclear force (YHWH, he/she/it, Marxist-feminists, the
      Feminist-Homosexualist Axis) wants to be the strong nuclear force
      (God, masculine men) and can't be and therefore everywhere across time
      and space is doing what he/she/it has been doing in our own society
      since 1970. Screwing things up. The science isn't suspect, I don't
      think. The he/she/its don't like it because if follows the evidence
      and concludes that he is preferable to he/she/it. Strong instead of
      weak.

      Also, nice try from the he/she/it side of the fence: slipping an
      accusation of blasphemy against me in under the fence. Obviously I
      don't think 289-290 is divinely inspired. If it was divinely inspired
      that would make me a prophet and the age of prophets ended with the
      death of Muhammad. In the context of Cerebus it is "divinely
      inspired" in that I am Cerebus' creator. But in the larger context as
      with everything that I write about religion, 289-290 serve as
      commentaries on Genesis 1, John's Gospel 1 and the sura 'Clots of
      Blood'. "Here is my best guess as to the nature of reality from the
      evidence we have on hand."

      Yes, I know you didn't mean to accuse me of blasphemy, but that's
      the nature of atheists. You're empty vessels wide open for demonic
      possession 24/7.

      Q1: Is there anything you have learned since that time, or during the
      original research period, which you would have liked the chance to add
      in but were unable to given the time constraints? (i289/290 / TLD
      pp2-40)

      DAVE: In other words, is there anything I can add to my case that
      will help persuade you that I'm right? I suspect not, but I think
      that isn't a matter of my theories being flawed as it is your own
      (that is to say, feminized Marxist-feminist he/she/it) resistance to
      what it is that I'm saying. I don't foresee that changing—either the
      nature of any of you as individuals or any potential audience for the
      book presently alive (and I might be mistaken; remember I was an
      atheist until I was forty years old)—which is why I say that Cerebus
      won't actually have any true value or cachet until fifty or a hundred
      years after I'm dead. That having been said let me express my
      on-going gratitude that, as readers, you have purchased my work and
      continue to discuss it. I don't know how many atheistic generations
      Cerebus will have to be read by before it actually reaches an audience
      that connects with it in any meaningful way, but of course that's
      completely out of my hands.

      There were a couple of interesting bits in my interview with Neal
      Adams coming up in Following Cerebus 9 that confirmed two passages in
      Genesis 1 for me and I note them in passing in the article and I do
      see various things that fall into that category in the newspaper and
      elsewhere but, again, we live in a completely he/she/it context so
      there's really no point that I can see in doing anything but making
      note of it for my own amusement. You've got 40 pages of 289-290 which
      you've managed to ignore. To what purpose would I guild my own lily?

      Q2. The New Booke of Cerebus is hidden away where it won't be
      discovered until 2000 years later when the Sanctuary is torn down to
      build a shopping mall. Since we know Cerebus' ascension took place in
      4000BC (because of the Judge's revelation that the moon landing takes
      place roughly 6000 later (C&S p1202)), this would set the time of
      discovery at around 2000BC. What is the significance of this date? Are
      you suggesting that Moses found The NBOC, and correctly interpreted it
      as the True Word of God? Is there some correlation to the Bell-Beaker
      culture (2800-1900BC) that overlapped the same area of the real Europe
      that the fictional Estarcion mimics, and the unspecified cataclysm
      that sank The God's Fence, split Boreala off the mainland to become
      England, and raised the land mass of Italy? (i291/TLD p53)

      DAVE: My assumption is that everywhere in the universe planets
      roughly the size of YHWH all enact their various tantrums and plodding
      resistance to the truth and infantile he/she/itisms in roughly the
      same way (and for all I know bigger planets are no different in the
      same way that all he/she/its are the same), so Cerebus' story could
      probably have been enacted on any of a trillion times a trillion
      little blue balls that think they're God just as there are probably a
      trillion times a trillion of each of you everywhere in the universe
      all behaving exactly as you do, each of whom has chosen to turn
      his/her back on God. Or maybe out of the trillion times a trillions
      versions of you there might be one or two that are actually
      God-fearing, but that would surprise me if it was true.

      Q3. Can you expand on the nature of The Great Schism (circa 132)? We
      know it had to do with Cerebus' reaction to being lured into a
      pro-choice rally and music concert organized by Sheshep (and,
      presumably, New Joanne) and the subsequent beatings that took place,
      but was there a greater political (and perhaps military) battle that
      took place? Or is The Great Schism strictly in reference to Cerebus'
      divorce from New Joanne, and alienation of his son? (i293/TLD p99)

      DAVE: The Great Schism refers to the tactical use of grief/fear by
      he/she/its to try and seize control and as far as I can see is a
      universal societal condition as soon as you give he/she/its even
      incremental access to power. In the context of Cerebus, it had
      nothing to do with the beatings per se (you betray your he/she/it
      loyalties in seeing it that way), it had to do with the use that could
      be made of the beatings politically by New Joanne and all the
      he/she/its like her. Drama Queens uber alles. In the same way that
      Guantanamo Bay doesn't actually bother Democrats but they do see it as
      the way back into the White House (mistakenly, in my view). It's the
      reason that anger has become the only cardinal sin in our society. As
      long as he/she/its pretend to be fearful of anger and grief stricken
      by all violence and assert their political view that the only way to
      move society forward is if no one is allowed to express anger or
      commit any act of violence then that means the he/she/its have a free
      ride in whatever direction they choose to go. Of course this only
      works if there is no actual threat against which it is only sensible
      to direct anger and violence—in the case of our own world, Islamist
      extremism. In order to sustain itself as a political movement,
      he/she/itism in our society needs to convince people that the proper
      reaction to killing Islamist Muslims who are plotting violence against
      civilians is grief at their death and/or fear of the people killing
      them. The proper reaction isn't grief and/or fear. The proper
      reaction is relief coupled with determination to kill as many more as
      it takes until Freedom is the universal condition of man.

      Q4. Why has Sheshep suddenly appeared after all these years? Has he
      inherited Cerebus' alleged "alarm clock when dad is dying" sense? Or
      has he simply come to gloat over Cerebus' impending demise? (i295)

      DAVE: Cerebus, having forgotten everything that had happened, begged
      God to bring Sheshep back. Since Cerebus had transcribed the Booke
      which was revealed to him and hidden it he was, at that point,
      completely useless and bringing Sheshep back was a good a way as any
      of killing someone who was and had been that useless for that many
      years and who had let God down that badly.

      Q5. Upon realizing that Rick is not among those Cerebus believes to be
      waiting for him in Heaven, Ham, Jaka and Bear's hands transform into
      strange two to three fingered appendages. What is the significance of
      this? (i300/TLD pp236-237)

      DAVE: Ham, Jaka and Bear were atheists. What I'm suggesting is that
      atheists are basically host beings which are wide open to being made
      use of by malignant spirits whose only job is to lure the God-fearing
      to destruction. It's a cautionary note struck for the half dozen
      (that may be optimistic) or so readers I have who believe in God—and
      for the first generation of Cerebus fans (as opposed to readers) fifty
      or a hundred years after I'm dead for whom the Next World will be
      something more than a concept for a Twilight Zone episode. When you
      die and you go towards the light, look who is there and remember what
      they were like when they were alive. I don't think anyone will heed
      my advice but that doesn't stop me from giving it. As I told someone
      in Columbus, my own reaction to seeing dead relatives and "friends"
      will be to go down on my knees and close my eyes and begin reciting my
      prayer. I plan to continue reciting my prayer from that point until
      Judgement Day. The Koran assures us that when we awake on Judgement
      Day we'll believe that we have been dead "for a day or part of a day."
      Muhammad in his later years used to spend the better part of the
      night reciting Suras instead of sleeping so I'm going to try to bear
      that in mind and deal with the Afterlife as one long night that needs
      to be prayed through until Judgement Day dawns.

      WILDCARD: Was the loss of Cerebus' magic helmet and short sword a
      deliberate attempt by you to remove some of the more "fantastic"
      elements from the story, and move it into a more realistic and
      sophisticated direction focusing more on politics and religion?

      DAVE: No, not really. I don't think you can remove the "fantastic"
      from a story (or from life) without making it the story (or life) two
      dimensional and irrelevant. "My job sucks and I can't get laid"
      comics as an example seem to me to just be reiterations of failure,
      people who have chosen to Fail and have so immersed their own soul in
      the depths of failure that that's all they know how to express and all
      that they're aware of. No, the loss of Cerebus' helmet and sword was
      more a reminder to myself that anyone can Blow It Big Time. It's easy
      to lose sight of because most people don't even have a sense of
      purpose in being here, let alone that they might be Blowing It Big
      Time. However, even when I was an atheist that was always my core
      awareness. I tried to come up with the best example of Blowing It
      Big Time in Cerebus' context that I could and tried to apply it to
      Cerebus since I think there are more examples of Blowing It Big Time
      in this world than there are of fulfillment of an intended destiny and
      people needed to be made aware of that. The fact that even showing
      that to people had absolutely no effect is probably one of the most
      terrifying things I saw in the course of doing the story. I mean,
      there's ostensible success—money, chicks, material possessions, happy
      marriage, beautiful children—but I don't think that's actual success.
      It can be, but it isn't inherent success if you had greater potential
      which I think most people do. I think F. Scott Fitzgerald, Elvis,
      John Lennon and JFK all Blew It Big Time, just to cite four examples
      even though most people would consider them wildly successful in their
      chosen fields.

      I think unconsciously I was documenting the loss of my soul which
      was pretty much a given until I started reading the Bible. It's one of
      the reasons that concepts like "fun" really don't resonate with me at
      all anymore. My only interest at this point is Not Blowing It Big
      Time and making it to the grave and Judgement Day without any serious
      slip-ups. Like allowing people to accuse me of blasphemy without
      refuting the charge. I am on high alert 24/7 for exactly those sorts
      of things.
    • T. Casey
      Message 461 of 461 , Jul 20, 2006
        --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, ctowner1@... wrote:
        >DAVE: I'm afraid that I'm really kind of snowed under with work at
        > the moment (finishing up "Hypothetical Cerebus and the Necronomicon
        > Monks" from a T. Casey Brennan script for a benefit comic book for
        > ACTOR that's due in July among other things)

        Here's a new page & podcast interview with me, dealing with my
        homelessness, the subject that ACTOR is addressing...

        http://www.annarboralive.com/A3Radio/Hydro/scripts.html

        Best,

        T. Casey Brennan