Re: OT: This Sunday's "Mr Boffo"

    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2006
      --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer <rlsharer@...> wrote:

      > There was an atheist walking in the woods when all of
      > a sudden Bigfoot jumped out at him. As he approached
      > the atheist menacingly, the atheist yelled to the sky,
      > "Lord, save me!"
      >
      > Seconds later the heavens thundered and a Voice
      > answered, "I thought you didn't believe in me."
      >
      > The atheist replied, "Well, a few seconds ago I didn't
      > believe in Bigfoot, either!"
      >
      > [ba doom boom]
      >
      > TTM

      And exactly whose point do you think you were making? ;)

      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2006
        --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Marcus Montgomery <selfstarter@...>
        wrote:

        > > Too often, newspaper comics
        > > writers seem to > be "phoning it in".
        >
        > i would say "almost always." i'm constantly amazed at
        > how unfunny and cringeworthy 95% of the daily funnies
        > are.

        I know. I learned to read comics from the Sunday funnies at my
        daddy's knee. Imagine my frustration when my daughter sees me
        reading the funnies and *wants* me to read some to her, and I try
        strip after strip but can't find anything for a child to enjoy.

        > it's like most commercials. i doubt i could
        > create great commercials or daily funnies. however, i
        > am sure that i could do at least as well as most of
        > the stuff that's out there. it's just so unbelievably
        > bad.

        Commercials have gone beyond bad self-parody. They don't even
        pretend *not* to believe that the viewer is Al Bundy (or Homer
        Simpson) any more.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2006
          --- Larry <larrytheillini@...> wrote:

          > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer
          > <rlsharer@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > There was an atheist walking in the woods when all
          > of
          > > a sudden Bigfoot jumped out at him. As he
          > approached
          > > the atheist menacingly, the atheist yelled to the
          > sky,
          > > "Lord, save me!"
          > >
          > > Seconds later the heavens thundered and a Voice
          > > answered, "I thought you didn't believe in me."
          > >
          > > The atheist replied, "Well, a few seconds ago I
          > didn't
          > > believe in Bigfoot, either!"
          > >
          > > [ba doom boom]
          > >
          > > TTM
          > >

          > And exactly whose point do you think you were
          > making? ;)

          Reader's Digest. And I was wondering if Korn was
          going to expose me again. Heh.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2006
            --- Larry <larrytheillini@...> wrote:

            > I know. I learned to read comics from the Sunday
            > funnies at my
            > daddy's knee. Imagine my frustration when my
            > daughter sees me
            > reading the funnies and *wants* me to read some to
            > her, and I try
            > strip after strip but can't find anything for a
            > child to enjoy.

            It's close to that way for Comic Books as well.
            There's a much smaller percentage of children's comics
            than there used to be.

            Also not helping the medium is the proliferation of
            the 21st Century Comic Book Replacement, the video
            game.

            http://mail.yahoo.com