Re: OT: Cosmic B-List (was: Sienkiewicz)

  • rainmandu2
    Message 1 of 436 , Mar 1, 2006
      --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Tundis" <jctundis@...> wrote:

      > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "rainmandu2" <rainmandu@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Tundis" <jctundis@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > ---------- Simon Furman is writing Ronan. Is this guy any good?
      > He
      > > > wrote Death's Head. And Transformers. Art by Jorge Lucas, though.
      > > > That's pretty cool.
      > >
      > > Rainmandu says:
      > > I've never read any of his stuff. His resume makes me think "suck,"
      > but I'll check it out.
      > > Covers are the murky soup stylings of what's-his-name, the artist
      > who "did" (as in,
      > > "fucked") the recent "Secret Wars" mini. Not that Bendis didn't
      > contribute to fucking that
      > > one, too.
      > >
      > > Rainmandu
      > >

      > -------- I like Gabriele Dell'Otto's cover art. You know me and my
      > love of stupid "poster" covers:) But I agree that his interior art
      > sucks. Can't lay out a page to save his life.
      >
      > -------- You know, Bendis never impressed me until Daredevil. I've
      > been a fairly avid follower of his mainstream Marvel stuff since, but
      > he's going down the Paul Jenkins road. Over extended.
      >
      > -Jeff

      He's nothing like Jim Shooter, and he's not going down that road. Oh, wait. Did you say
      Jenkins? Shit, man, I'm always doing that. Heh.

      Bendis has done a lot of really good stuff. But the girl at my local comic shop nailed it:
      He's writing teleplays. And, as much as I like his stuff, the man does NOT know how to
      write action scenes. Talky-talk? Cool. Smacky-smack? Not-so-cool. And, before Bendis, I
      never knew there was an art to where in the script a sound effect ("Bam!" "Pow!") should
      appear, or a grunt from someone just hit in the face ("Ungh"), or reactions from innocent
      bystanders ("Hey!" "Whoah"), but Bendis is so fucking bad at all of those things that I've
      recently realized the genius of nearly every other comic book writer in the use of such
      things.

      And check out Brubaker's first issue of "Daredevil." So fucking good.

      Rainmandu

      "He's a Whore" - Cheap Trick
      Message 436 of 436 , Mar 2, 2006
        ------ Thanks Mark, just ordered "The Sky Moves Sideways." Think I'm
        going to add "Stars Die: The Delirium Years" to that order.

        -Jeff

        > Porcupine Tree are just amazing. i think theyve started to repeat
        themselves over time , but i think both of you would love a good
        chunk of their back catalog.

        > P Tree started in the late 80s as a 'one man in the studio' band
        centered around Steven Wilson ; they werent a fully fledged touring
        band til the mid 90s (ex Japan keyboard guy Richard Barberi joined
        then, and is still with them). The very early stuff is a little hit
        and miss, slightly derivative of early Pink Floyd with some spacey
        ambient influences thrown in ; they really hit their stride with the
        albums "The Sky Moves Sideways" and "Waiting" , both of which i think
        you guys would REALLY like -
        > reminiscent of both Floyd and Crimson without being derivative,
        this is swirling psychedelic rock at its best. Amazon have some
        extensive listenable clips with their various P Tree listings, so you
        can sample before you buy....

        > http://www.porcupinetree.com/index.cfm for more info.....
        >

        > Mark B
        >
        > Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:
        > In a message dated 2/27/2006 9:00:40 PM Central Standard Time,
        > jctundis@... writes:
        > ---------- I'm looking forward to Ronan The Accuser for some
        reason.
        > I always thought he was a cool character. I'll probably give the
        > whole "Annihilation" storyline a try.
        >
        > ---------- DO you know if it's going to be serious, or "goofy"
        Giffen?

        > -Jeff
        >
        > "Moonloop" - Porcupine Tree
        > Porcupine Tree was recently supported/featured by Robet Fripp on
        > their recent tour on England and environs -- I have noticed a
        couple
        > of tunes mentioned by you here in the "now playing" section ...
        care
        > to give a short review?
        >
        > Thanks (off list is cool too if ya choose).
        >
        > Bryan
        >
        > ========== These guys are totally new to me (even though they've
        been
        > around for 15+ years). Driving rock stuff, with a lot of harmonies.
        > Some cool changes. The first thing I heard from them reminded me of
        > an "edgier" Coldplay, but there's lots of cool stuff going on (Rush
        > like in spots) - and they can crank it up. I have to look into
        their
        > earlier stuff, I think it might be more artsy/trippy.
        >
        > ========== Most of the songs I've listed lately are from listening
        > a www.Live365.com station called "Ear Candy For The Mind." The dj
        has
        > an amazing collection of jam, jazz, art and trance stuff. He's got
        > lots of stuff I've never heard.
        >
        > -Jeff
        >
        > "Jimmy Jenga" - Ray's Music Exchange
        >
        > http://www.live365.com/stations/themusicarchivist
        >

        > <A
        HREF="http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/news/112499595451490.htm">
        The House That Mark Built</A>

        > Dave sim Comic book Comic book store Mark

        Service.