Re: [cerebus] OT: The Other (was: return of Spider-Ham (Spoilers) )

  • ctowner1@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 436 , Jan 1, 2006
      On 12/31/05, rainmandu2 <rainmandu@...> wrote:
      --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Tundis" <jctundis@c...> wrote:

      > (spoilers)

      > ------- The Other is the other side of Spider-Man. There's the "man
      > who dreams of being a Spider" and the "Spider who dreams of being a
      > man." Guess which one is in control now?
      >
      > -Jeff

      I know. I remember it from back when it was Swamp Thing and Alec Holland. Man or plant.
      I'm sure JMS remembers it, too.

      Man, that latest issue sucked. >>

      I'm defintiely in the minority here..but I've kinda liked the whole sequence..it's kept me interested from issue to issue.

      Mostly, it was the art. I can't believe they're letting Deodato
      take over on "New Avengers" in a couple of issues.>>

      Never been a big fan of his work..but there are DEFNITELY worse artists drawing marvel/dc comix.

      It's their most popular book, and
      they're giving it to one of their worst artists? Maybe that's the point. Much like DC does
      with Vertigo, as long as people are buying it for the writer, why waste a good artist?>>

      I think it's more a case of them thinking he's a good artist.  I certainly don't think he's their worst.

      If I were running things over at Marvel, I would have fired Deodato for turning in that page
      with Iron Man flying down the street in the latest issue of "The Other." Actually, I wouldn't
      have fired him right away. I would have marked the page "incomplete" and told him to go
      back and, this time, FINISH THE FUCKING BACKGROUND! Are those supposed to be
      buildings? You lazy fuck-rag! We're paying you by the page. That means you're supposed
      to draw stuff on it. Of course, I would also ditch the colorist. That is some ugly fucking
      coloring on that book.

      Oh, and Greg Land's art is totally sinking "Ultimate Fantastic Four."

      Rainmandu >>

      Yeah...Greg Land's overly airbrushed work is sucking.

      On a good point, I'm thinking Bagley/Hanna's work on Ult Spidey has really been good lately.  Bagley's so much more confident in his layout than he was int he begining of the run - and Hanna's inks add a real depth - particulalry his shadows.  Is Bendis shooting to eclipse Lee/Kirby, and then quit? Or are there no foreseeable plans to leave the book?

      and another plug for the new Vertgio book, Testament.  Great comic.  Cool story.  Solid art.

      L nny
      Message 436 of 436 , Mar 2, 2006
        ------ Thanks Mark, just ordered "The Sky Moves Sideways." Think I'm
        going to add "Stars Die: The Delirium Years" to that order.

        -Jeff

        > Porcupine Tree are just amazing. i think theyve started to repeat
        themselves over time , but i think both of you would love a good
        chunk of their back catalog.

        > P Tree started in the late 80s as a 'one man in the studio' band
        centered around Steven Wilson ; they werent a fully fledged touring
        band til the mid 90s (ex Japan keyboard guy Richard Barberi joined
        then, and is still with them). The very early stuff is a little hit
        and miss, slightly derivative of early Pink Floyd with some spacey
        ambient influences thrown in ; they really hit their stride with the
        albums "The Sky Moves Sideways" and "Waiting" , both of which i think
        you guys would REALLY like -
        > reminiscent of both Floyd and Crimson without being derivative,
        this is swirling psychedelic rock at its best. Amazon have some
        extensive listenable clips with their various P Tree listings, so you
        can sample before you buy....

        > http://www.porcupinetree.com/index.cfm for more info.....
        >

        > Mark B
        >
        > Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:
        > In a message dated 2/27/2006 9:00:40 PM Central Standard Time,
        > jctundis@... writes:
        > ---------- I'm looking forward to Ronan The Accuser for some
        reason.
        > I always thought he was a cool character. I'll probably give the
        > whole "Annihilation" storyline a try.
        >
        > ---------- DO you know if it's going to be serious, or "goofy"
        Giffen?

        > -Jeff
        >
        > "Moonloop" - Porcupine Tree
        > Porcupine Tree was recently supported/featured by Robet Fripp on
        > their recent tour on England and environs -- I have noticed a
        couple
        > of tunes mentioned by you here in the "now playing" section ...
        care
        > to give a short review?
        >
        > Thanks (off list is cool too if ya choose).
        >
        > Bryan
        >
        > ========== These guys are totally new to me (even though they've
        been
        > around for 15+ years). Driving rock stuff, with a lot of harmonies.
        > Some cool changes. The first thing I heard from them reminded me of
        > an "edgier" Coldplay, but there's lots of cool stuff going on (Rush
        > like in spots) - and they can crank it up. I have to look into
        their
        > earlier stuff, I think it might be more artsy/trippy.
        >
        > ========== Most of the songs I've listed lately are from listening
        > a www.Live365.com station called "Ear Candy For The Mind." The dj
        has
        > an amazing collection of jam, jazz, art and trance stuff. He's got
        > lots of stuff I've never heard.
        >
        > -Jeff
        >
        > "Jimmy Jenga" - Ray's Music Exchange
        >
        > http://www.live365.com/stations/themusicarchivist
        >

        > <A
        HREF="http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/news/112499595451490.htm">
        The House That Mark Built</A>

        > Dave sim Comic book Comic book store Mark

        Service.