OK to discuss new issue?

  • walkingman
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi,
      Got the new issue yesterday with guest star and old aardvark (older aardvark).
      Lots o'reading.
      Ready to discuss at last. And others?
      Lot's o'reading! And a great, sly, last line....!
      best regards,
      Matt
    • grimesbyroylott
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
        --- In cerebus@y..., "walkingman" <walkingman@m...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        > Got the new issue yesterday with guest star and old aardvark
        (older aardvark).
        > Lots o'reading.
        > Ready to discuss at last. And others?
        > Lot's o'reading! And a great, sly, last line....!
        > best regards,
        > Matt

        I read the new issue yesterday. Liked it quite a bit. I'm getting a
        little tired of Dave's panels-that-only-contain-word-balloons. I
        found it interesting during some of the Stooges stuff, but thought it
        was overused there as well. I wonder how much of this is dictated by
        artistic intention, and how much is dictated by Dave's newly
        confessed "slowing down".

        (The spoiler part) Although I found it interesting for this issue, I
        dread how many issues we're going to have to listen to "Cerebus gives
        us Dave's interpretation of the Torah".

        Also, following up on the 'Is Cerebus just becoming a mouthpiece for
        Dave?" thread. Did anyone find some of Cerebus' insights into the
        creation story a bit too, umm... I dunno... INSIGHTFUL. Or at least
        philosophical. Cerebus has never come across as someone who thinks
        about the world in this way. I understand that he is older, perhaps
        more mature, has more time to think, etc. The beginning, where
        Cerebus' "interpretation" is simply repeating what is said, was quite
        funny, and very much the way I think Cerebus would interpret things.
        That he started to become much more of a philosophical and abstract
        thinker, I found very jarring.

        -Greg
      • Tony Palermo
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
          Hi,
          Got the new issue yesterday with guest star and old aardvark (older
          aardvark).
          Lots o'reading.
          Ready to discuss at last. And others?
          Lot's o'reading! And a great, sly, last line....!
          best regards,
          Matt

          T replies:
          Ready!!!

          GO!!!

          What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?
          --W.C. Fields

        • Danny Lindquist
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
            grimesbyroylott wrote:
            I read the new issue yesterday.  Liked it quite a bit.  I'm getting a
            little tired of Dave's panels-that-only-contain-word-balloons.  I
            found it interesting during some of the Stooges stuff, but thought it
            was overused there as well.  I wonder how much of this is dictated by
            artistic intention, and how much is dictated by Dave's newly
            confessed "slowing down".
            (Spoilers) I thought this issue made pretty good use of it, as it made for a well-done spoof of Woody's opening credits (the many repititions of "Konigsberg the Not-So-Good Samaritan" and the drum roll/cymbal I found especially fun). The sections where Kongisberg was writing allowed for a nice way for Konigsberg (who, presumably, was doing little at the time except for reading, writing, and "bird-watching") to tell a longish section of his time at the Sacntvary. The Cerebus interpretation of the Torah seemed a bit odd, but I think the few pictures very nicely hinted at Konigsberg's thoughts as Cerebus spoke (notice the changes in how Konigsberg holds the "fourthe daye" section of book 1, chapter 1, as well as what words are legible as Cerebus speaks).
            (The spoiler part) Although I found it interesting for this issue, I
            dread how many issues we're going to have to listen to "Cerebus gives
            us Dave's interpretation of the Torah".
            I find it hard to believe that this would be Dave's interpretation so much as it is Cerebus's interpretation that Dave has had to work on (simulating the effect of Cerebus spending most of a year studying the books). Specifically, the "void waters" being senseless, day four being removed, and the "whales are closest to God" bits sound distinctly Cerebus (not to mention "their means 'he, she, and it's").
            Also, following up on the 'Is Cerebus just becoming a mouthpiece for
            Dave?" thread.  Did anyone find some of Cerebus' insights into the
            creation story a bit too, umm... I dunno... INSIGHTFUL.  Or at least
            philosophical.  Cerebus has never come across as someone who thinks
            about the world in this way.  I understand that he is older, perhaps
            more mature, has more time to think, etc.  The beginning, where
            Cerebus' "interpretation" is simply repeating what is said, was quite
            funny, and very much the way I think Cerebus would interpret things.
            That he started to become much more of a philosophical and abstract
            thinker, I found very jarring.
            He's actually going with a literal interpretation, except he's not formed the common association of "God said" and "it was so" as being linked, and he's tried to figure out why "God or God's Spirit would... 'mooue'... on the face of the waters", with a very "avoyd fornication/bird-watching"-centric/Freudian explanation for what happened (with, I thought, quite amusing additions to "not thinking about moouing", especially when you notice the "cattle as walking fruit" bit). Cerebus has spent a year with the Torah, while he spent a few hours with Po, a few hours with Cirin/Astoria/Po, a few weeks as Prime Minister, etc.... I don't think Cerebus is really that dumb (as compared to the endearingly cute Elf and the lousy running joke Sophia), he's just rather slow.
            -Greg
            Daniel
          • grimesbyroylott
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
              --- In cerebus@y..., Danny Lindquist <plindqui@a...> wrote:

              Cerebus has spent a year with the Torah, while he spent a few
              > hours with Po, a few hours with Cirin/Astoria/Po, a few weeks as
              Prime
              > Minister, etc.... I don't think Cerebus is really that dumb (as
              compared
              > to the endearingly cute Elf and the lousy running joke Sophia), he's
              > just rather slow.

              > Daniel

              Thanks,

              Interesting reply. That is what I missed. I didn't pay attention to
              the dates in Konigsberg's diary entries so I didn't realize that
              Cerebus spent a whole year studying the Torah. That makes it a lot
              easier to swallow.

              I still dread how much time Dave might spend on this particular
              activity.

              -Greg