Various Cerebus Stuff

  • Margaret
    Message 1 of 16 , May 15, 2000
      hello group --
      This is my first posting so be gentle please --

      I've just started a Cerebus website and was in the process of
      creating a Cerebus (and non-Cerebus Dave Sim material) checklist. If
      I've left anything out (and I'm sure I did, there is a lot of stuff
      out there!), please email me and let me know. If you have any jpegs
      or gifs of some of the stuff that is listed, would you be so kind as
      to email that also? When you see the site (please do, I need input),
      you'll understand. Hopefully.

      Also, I'm doing an "Ultimate Cerebus Links" site -- so if you have a
      Cerebus website that I've not added, please let me know. I got sick
      of surfing the web and bumping into so many dead links. Gahh!

      Is anyone else out there excited as me about this Cerebus 2000
      campaign I keep hearing about? Any chance Sim & Gerhard are going on
      tour again?!

      oh, the website url you say?!
      Ultimate Cerebus Links:
      http://homestead.juno.com/meowwcat/cerebus.html
      there is a link from that to the "Cerebus Fangirl Page" where the
      checklist (and other goodies) are located.

      Thanks!
      margaret
      meowwcat@...
    • eric.fennessey@gecm.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 13, 2000
        I thought that I would throw a topic for conversation in so that everyone
        could, in fine list tradition, ignore it.

        In the last couple of issues we have seen Cerebus react to two pieces of
        technology that he does not appear to have seen before, namely a gun and an
        airship. It seems odd to me that these are a novelty to him. Mary Ernestway
        says that they are taking the airship to Sand Hills Creek, which suggests that
        these devices have been plying the Estarcian sky for a while. Having spend a
        great deal of his time as a mercenary it seems odd that familiarity with guns,
        or at least knowledge of the existence of guns, isn't something Cerebus has.
        The nearest we have come to guns before is the primitive cannons of Cerebus'
        world. Perhaps the implication is that Cerebus has been out of touch for so
        long that these things have developed without him knowing about them.

        Another possibility which strikes me as I write this is that perhaps the Africa
        shaped continent on Cerebus' world is the relatively advanced one and Estarcian
        the backward version, and that these technologies come from there. Perhaps
        Mary's story will halp to clarify these issues.

        Anyone have any other comments on technology in Cerebus' world?

        Regards,
        Eric
      • J and Ellen
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 13, 2000
          His years as a mercenary were spent (mostly) with other barbarians, who are notorious for being the last ones exposed to new toys. After spending what was apparently many years in outer space, Cerebus holed up in a tavern in the middle of nowhere for a few more years. It's not surprising that SOME things have changed, although I am surprised at just how quickly technology has evolved.

          The airship wasn't flying that high, so you probably couldn't see it from very far away.

          I'm also wondering if magic has correspondingly waned from the world as technology has developed. We haven't seen any since, I believe, Dave's personal appearance. (I'm not convinced that Rick's stick trick was nothing more than a psych-out.)

        • MEOWWCAT@HOTMAIL.COM
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 17, 2000
            --- In cerebus@egroups.com, eric.fennessey@g... wrote:
            > In the last couple of issues we have seen Cerebus react to two
            >pieces of technology that he does not appear to have seen before,
            >namely a gun and an airship. It seems odd to me that these are a
            >novelty to him. Mary Ernestway says that they are taking the
            >airship to Sand Hills Creek, which suggests that these devices have
            >been plying the Estarcian sky for a while. Having spend a great
            >deal of his time as a mercenary it seems odd that familiarity with
            >guns, or at least knowledge of the existence of guns, isn't
            >something Cerebus has.

            >The nearest we have come to guns before is the primitive cannons of
            >Cerebus' world. Perhaps the implication is that Cerebus has been
            >out of touch for so long that these things have developed without
            >him knowing about them.

            I would think this is what happened. Cerebus has been out of the loop
            for a while "traveling" (indeedy). What surprises me is that the guys
            at the bar didn't talk about this new hot item (guns). Knowing
            Cirinists, they prolly put lots of restrictions on gun ownership /
            use. So this might limit how far this new technology has gotten.

            The question that comes to my mind now is -- revolution. Overthrow
            those damn Cirinist with guns! After seeing the early issues of
            Mothers & Daughters, the guys couldn't put much of a fight up against
            them with a sword. Maybe a gun would facilitate this.

            Margaret -- Cerebus Fangirl
            http://geocities.com/meowwcat/cerebus/
          • eric.fennessey@gecm.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 19, 2000
              I have said before that I could forsee a 'big bang' finale to Cerebus. This
              business with the accelerated technology could well be in keeping with this.
              Working out from the revolution idea it is entertaining (if unlikely to have
              any relation to what Dave actually does) to try and determine the who, why and
              wherefore of it all.

              The obvious antagonists are the Cirinists. The Cirinists are organised and
              well armed, so their opponents need to be similarly organised and well armed.
              At present there are no obvious contenders for this position. I would posit
              the following two as possibilities: Cerebus at the head of an army or Right
              Religious Rick at the head of a Crusade. Rick's religion could provide the
              motivating force for such a crusade. Cerebus would, at present, seem to have
              little motivation for leading an army against the Cirinists. Whilst the rules
              and regulations of the Mothers irk him, he doesn't seem motivated to sweep them
              in blood from Estarcion. So to get Cerebus in the position where he is ready
              and willing to take such a step seems to me to require the intermediate step of
              provocation. The only provocation that I can see with sufficient resonance to
              Cerebus is the proverbial 'bad thing' happening to Jaka at the instigation of
              the Cirinists.

              So are we going to see a three-way fight between the major powers in Estarcion?
              I don't know, but it is fun to speculate. Remember, Rick says that he and
              Cerebus will meet again only one more time, we still don't know where or when.

              Regards,
              Eric
            • J and Ellen
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 19, 2000
                If "Guys" is any indication, the male gender has been thoroughly cowed. Cirin's real challengers right now appear to be the Royalists, i.e. Jaka's supporters. Of course, that makes Jaka a likely target for assassination, which could awaken the sleeping giant that is Cerebus....

              • elmo499@mindspring.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 4 9:27 AM
                  Just thought I's get my two cents in:

                  ON THE TECHNOLOGY:
                  1. Since the flintlock is the first gun we're seeing, I'd say that
                  it is [ossibly the first one invented and therefore not everyone
                  would necessarily know about it.
                  2. If the Cirinists know about it, they would not be in a rush to
                  telly everybosy about it.
                  3. Because of the collapse of the economy in Upper Felds, the
                  Cirinists may also not be in any position to mass produce nor
                  purchase the flintlocks.

                  ON WARFARE:
                  1. An airborne fleet of soldiers armed with weapons would, even if
                  overwhelmingly outnumbered, be in a position to defeat Cirinist
                  forces armed primarily with edged weapons, crossbows and pikes.
                  2. Such an army might be sparked by either an ornery aardvark or
                  religious fervor sparked by or fanned by the Apostle Rick.
                  3. I'm really hoping nothing happens to Jaka, but an assassination
                  of her would definitely make Cerebus ornery. Another possibility
                  would be if the Cirinists have done something to Cerebus's family
                  and/or village.

                  ELmo
                • Page 45
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 5 3:24 AM
                    Another possibility
                    > would be if the Cirinists have done something to Cerebus's family
                    > and/or village.
                    >
                    > ELmo

                    That's where MY money lies.

                    Perhaps the dark clouds ahead on the cover of Book 1 are for Cerebus's
                    relationship with Jaka, but since the very issue they set out I've found it
                    curious that noone has thought to "phone ahead". Curious and worrying.

                    Thankfully I'm always wrong.

                    Stephen

                    PS On the other hand I'd find it very surprising indeed if there was any
                    catharsis ahead. I don't expect 'Cerebus' to end with a bang at all. I
                    mean, aren't the last 100 issues supposed to be epilogue?

                    PPS On the other hand I'm always wrong.

                    PPPS And I don't care either way. I'm just lapping the whole thing up.
                    The African scenes had my jaw on the floor. Such weight in the postures,
                    such balance, such strength... And the elephant.... sigh
                  • elmo499@mindspring.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 6 7:12 AM
                      --- In cerebus@egroups.com, "Page 45" <page45@p...> wrote:

                      > Another possibility
                      > > would be if the Cirinists have done something to Cerebus's family
                      > > and/or village.
                      > >
                      > > ELmo
                      >
                      > That's where MY money lies.
                      >
                      > Perhaps the dark clouds ahead on the cover of Book 1 are for
                      Cerebus's relationship with Jaka, but since the very issue they set
                      out I've found it curious that noone has thought to "phone ahead".
                      Curious and worrying.

                      > Thankfully I'm always wrong.
                      >
                      > Stephen
                      >
                      > PS On the other hand I'd find it very surprising indeed if there
                      was any catharsis ahead. I don't expect 'Cerebus' to end with a bang
                      at all. I mean, aren't the last 100 issues supposed to be epilogue?

                      > PPS On the other hand I'm always wrong.
                      >
                      > PPPS And I don't care either way. I'm just lapping the whole
                      >thing up. The African scenes had my jaw on the floor. Such weight
                      >in the postures, such balance, such strength... And the
                      >elephant.... sigh.

                      You bring up some interesting points:

                      1a. Although there is a tendency to want to see a big blowout to
                      conclude the series, one does have to leave onself open to the
                      possibility that there may not be a catharsis of that sort. I do
                      recollect reading in a response to a letter that for all intents and
                      purposes, issue 200 was the end of the greater story.

                      1b. That would suck, however. And in my opinion, were that to
                      happen, it would lead the series to not be fondly remembered at all.

                      1c. However, we are only on part two of a three part book, that
                      leaves very little time for development of a huge battle.

                      2. In your comment that there seems to be a dearth of speculation as
                      to where things are going, there seems to be the implication that
                      either A: we are all trusting Sim and Gerhard to lead us well to a
                      great ending to a great series, or B: Cerebus fandom is pretty
                      anemic these days. I think it's the latter. Meowwcat (hi, M!)
                      mentions in her great website that she came across the speculation
                      that Cerebus's numbers had dropped to a readership of about 10,000.
                      I've run across the number 7,500. That's pretty disturbing. I think
                      it does have to do with the pc crowd dropping out, but what do I
                      know? There has been a huge decline in comicbook readership
                      altogether, so you never know where the fault lies exactly.

                      3. I don't think there is much of a possibility that Dave and Ger
                      will drop Cerebus before the finishing line at this point (unless the
                      numbers referenced above drop even more precipitously), but I do hope
                      people are taking Meowwcat's lead (check out her website) and
                      printing up their own flyers or other things to get people interested
                      in the book.

                      Lastly:
                      FOUR MORE YEARS!

                      Elmo (leaving quietly, officer)
                    • J and Ellen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 7 2:16 AM
                        Speaking of the Cirinists' economic collapse: whatever happened to the hoard
                        that Most Holy gathered?

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 7 3:41 AM
                          I wouldn't say that I was particularly 'disturbed' by the 'appearance of the
                          "real world" in Cerebus'. The Africa in Cerebus is subtly different in shape
                          to 'our' Africa, giving it a kind of fairy-tale reality. It is these types of
                          sleights-of-hand that allow me to gloss over the problems of 'reality'.
                          Similarly, the presence of numerous recognisable people in Estarcion doesn't
                          phase me.

                          Regards,
                          Eric
                        • elmo499@mindspring.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 7 10:26 AM
                            --- In cerebus@egroups.com, "J and Ellen" <massage@e...> wrote:
                            > Speaking of the Cirinists' economic collapse: whatever happened to
                            the hoard that Most Holy gathered?

                            That is a question, isn't it? I suppose it's possible that some or
                            most of it got caught under the mountain's collapse, but at least
                            some of it wound up in Cirnist hands (according to Seuntus Po)(sp?)

                            If they DO have the gold, then it becomes an interesting
                            counterbalance to a well-armed aerial force, should Cerebus lead
                            one. The Cirinists would therefore be able to hire a substantial
                            mercenary army and could overtake Cerebus's force by sheer force of
                            numbers.

                            Jeez, I hope not.

                            El Mo
                          • elmo499@mindspring.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 7 10:29 AM
                              --- In cerebus@egroups.com, eric.fennessey@a... wrote:
                              > I wouldn't say that I was particularly 'disturbed' by the
                              'appearance of the
                              > "real world" in Cerebus'. The Africa in Cerebus is subtly
                              different in shape
                              > to 'our' Africa, giving it a kind of fairy-tale reality. It is
                              these types of
                              > sleights-of-hand that allow me to gloss over the problems of
                              'reality'.
                              > Similarly, the presence of numerous recognisable people in
                              Estarcion doesn't
                              > phase me.
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > Eric

                              I can understand the latter more than the former. "Oscar", "F Stop",
                              "Mrs. Thatcher", etc., are all fictionalized versions of "real"
                              people. Africa, however, is Africa.

                              You say the shape of the continent is different. I find THAT
                              interesting. How?

                              Perhaps Dave is meaning to suggest that the africa of Cerebus's epoch
                              is one prior to recorded history, maybe the antediluviian period?
                              That would work.

                              Thanks for pointing that out, Eric.

                              Elmo
                            • eric.fennessey@amsjv.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 8 2:34 AM
                                The 'Africa' south of Estarcion has a differently placed 'Madegascar' and the
                                'Sinai Peninsula' does not join the continents in the same way as on our earth.
                                All of which give the mind just enough leeway to suspend disbelief.

                                At another level, a lot of the 'bigger picture' in Cerebus has been about
                                echoes and how one person takes a role at one time and then the opposite role
                                at another time. Perhaps the Geography also fulfils this role.

                                TTFN
                                Eric
                              • Page 45
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 8 3:53 AM

                                  > > Perhaps the dark clouds ahead on the cover of Book 1 are for
                                  > Cerebus's relationship with Jaka, but since the very issue they set
                                  > out I've found it curious that noone has thought to "phone ahead".
                                  > Curious and worrying.
                                  > >
                                  > > Stephen
                                  > >
                                  > 2. In your comment that there seems to be a dearth of speculation as
                                  > to where things are going, there seems to be the implication that
                                  > either A: we are all trusting Sim and Gerhard to lead us well to a
                                  > great ending to a great series, or B: Cerebus fandom is pretty
                                  > anemic these days.
                                  >
                                  > Elmo (leaving quietly, officer)

                                  Umm, I may be misunderstanding you but I think you misunderstood me.

                                  What I meant here wasn't that there was a dearth of speculation on behalf of
                                  the readers, but that I found it worrying that Cerebus himself hasn't sent
                                  ahead for news of home.

                                  In an attempt to allay your fears on the title's health I can report that
                                  there remains a steady stream of new blood entering the Cerebus readership -
                                  here at least. It's just that the series is so near the conclusion, they
                                  prefer to stick to the tpbs. Since that's where Dave and Ger make most of
                                  their money - and there are now more of them from which to make that money -
                                  it's my sincerest hope that they're still rolling in it.

                                  Stephen
                                • Margaret
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 8 9:19 AM
                                    --- In cerebus@egroups.com, eric.fennessey@a... wrote:
                                    > The 'Africa' south of Estarcion has a differently
                                    > placed 'Madegascar' and the 'Sinai Peninsula' does not join the
                                    > continents in the same way as on our earth. All of which give the
                                    > mind just enough leeway to suspend disbelief.

                                    This brings up an interesting question -- since Cerebus' world isn't
                                    ours in the past, but a different world, does that make the judge
                                    wrong when he talks about the future in C&S? There was a debate going
                                    on in rec.art.comics.vertigo (?) about this -- if the judge truely
                                    could see the future or not.

                                    > At another level, a lot of the 'bigger picture' in Cerebus has been
                                    > about echoes and how one person takes a role at one time and then
                                    > the opposite role at another time. Perhaps the Geography also
                                    > fulfils this role.

                                    opposites, eh? very interesting --
                                    mick = prince in Cerebus world = in our world a rock 'n roll star
                                    missus thatcher = underling for Cirin = prime minister in ours.
                                    weishaupt -- president in Cerebus' world -- leader of underground
                                    society in ours.

                                    Yup, I'd say thats opposites / echoes.

                                    Prehaps that is the same with the technology on the various countries
                                    in Cerebus' world also. Europe in the middle ages was thought to be
                                    more advanced than Africa -- we see in Cerebus' world that Estarcion
                                    is farther behind the Africa analog.

                                    Margaret
                                    www.cerebusfangirl.com