Cerebus in monochrome

  • j_pacer
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hello, everyone, I'm new around here. I collected Cerebus for years
      even when I had quit all other comics years before but stopped
      around '99 due to having no money in college. Anyways, I missed the
      300 mark and have just now been catching up to the end with the TPBs.
      I only recently discovered this group. Anyway, the point to my post is
      as I was looking through the archives of Dave Sim's responses, he
      mentions how Cerebus will never work in color. I agree completely and
      for all the reasons he cites, among others (It would kill Gerhard's
      gorgeous linework and tonal schemes). Cerebus in full color is a BAD
      idea. However, I was curious as to Dave's thoughts on a monochromatic
      touch to Cerebus. What made me think of this was in looking at the
      cover of the Last Day TPB with the 360 view of the room all in sepia
      tones. In my mind's eye I can see the whole series done in that soft
      sepia tone and it looks stunning. With Photoshop it wouldn't even be
      that difficult (just time consuming). Anyone else agree or is it 3
      ayem and I should shush?
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
        --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "j_pacer" <jpacer@v...> wrote:

        > Hello, everyone, I'm new around here. I collected Cerebus for
        years
        > even when I had quit all other comics years before but stopped
        > around '99 due to having no money in college. Anyways, I missed
        the
        > 300 mark and have just now been catching up to the end with the
        TPBs.
        > I only recently discovered this group. Anyway, the point to my
        post is
        > as I was looking through the archives of Dave Sim's responses, he
        > mentions how Cerebus will never work in color. I agree completely
        and
        > for all the reasons he cites, among others (It would kill
        Gerhard's
        > gorgeous linework and tonal schemes). Cerebus in full color is a
        BAD
        > idea. However, I was curious as to Dave's thoughts on a
        monochromatic
        > touch to Cerebus. What made me think of this was in looking at
        the
        > cover of the Last Day TPB with the 360 view of the room all in
        sepia
        > tones. In my mind's eye I can see the whole series done in that
        soft
        > sepia tone and it looks stunning. With Photoshop it wouldn't even
        be
        > that difficult (just time consuming). Anyone else agree or is it
        3
        > ayem and I should shush?

        --------- Welcome! (or welcome back)
        --------- Interesting idea. I don't know what monochrome would add
        to the work, but I've always been a fan of sepia tone. It gives
        everything a warm classical feel, and it's very easy on the eyes. It
        may weaken some of the black/white contrast though. The scenes with
        snow, or bright blotchy energy spheres. But even in the original
        printed issues, the pages have a tannish tint due to the paper stock
        so... who knows?

        -Jeff
      • L nny _
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
          On Apr 1, 2005 11:45 AM, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

          > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "j_pacer" <jpacer@v...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello, everyone, I'm new around here. I collected Cerebus for
          > years
          > > even when I had quit all other comics years before but stopped
          > > around '99 due to having no money in college. Anyways, I missed
          > the
          > > 300 mark and have just now been catching up to the end with the
          > TPBs.
          > > I only recently discovered this group. Anyway, the point to my
          > post is
          > > as I was looking through the archives of Dave Sim's responses, he
          > > mentions how Cerebus will never work in color. I agree completely
          > and
          > > for all the reasons he cites, among others (It would kill
          > Gerhard's
          > > gorgeous linework and tonal schemes). Cerebus in full color is a
          > BAD
          > > idea. However, I was curious as to Dave's thoughts on a
          > monochromatic
          > > touch to Cerebus. What made me think of this was in looking at
          > the
          > > cover of the Last Day TPB with the 360 view of the room all in
          > sepia
          > > tones. In my mind's eye I can see the whole series done in that
          > soft
          > > sepia tone and it looks stunning. With Photoshop it wouldn't even
          > be
          > > that difficult (just time consuming). Anyone else agree or is it
          > 3
          > > ayem and I should shush?
          >
          > --------- Welcome! (or welcome back)
          > --------- Interesting idea. I don't know what monochrome would add
          > to the work, but I've always been a fan of sepia tone. It gives
          > everything a warm classical feel, and it's very easy on the eyes. It
          > may weaken some of the black/white contrast though. The scenes with
          > snow, or bright blotchy energy spheres. But even in the original
          > printed issues, the pages have a tannish tint due to the paper stock
          > so... who knows?
          >
          > -Jeff>>

          Well..first of all, Cerebus as is IS monochrome - right??

          But aside from that, I agree with you - and I don't think a
          classic/old times feel IS appropriate for Cerebus. And 300 issues of
          that does NOT sound like a pleasant prospect to me.

          L nny