Re: OT: the last issue of Promethea

  • Stanley Lieber
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- John L wrote:

      > Anybody else make the poster out of the last issue of Promethea? I'm
      > about to give it a go. I just got this comic on Friday, and have been
      > waffling about whether to destroy it for the sake of art or not.
      > Well, here goes...

      I have it, but I didn't take mine apart. Someone have posted a LARGE
      scan of one side of the completed poster to the net:

      [ http://www.cyber1a.net/prom/A32.jpg ]

      > John L (I think I'm going to miss this comic almost as much as the
      > little gray guy's book)

      It is a little deflating to internalize that there will be no more new
      issues of this great series. Anyone hear anything else about Neil
      Gaiman possibly doing a few issues, set prior to #32?

      - R.
    • Chris W
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- John L <cerebus87@...> wrote:

        > Anybody else make the poster out of the last issue
        > of Promethea? I'm
        > about to give it a go. I just got this comic on
        > Friday, and have been
        > waffling about whether to destroy it for the sake of
        > art or not.
        > Well, here goes...
        >
        > John L (I think I'm going to miss this comic almost
        > as much as the
        > little gray guy's book)

        I've been debating whether or not to make the poster
        as well. I don't want to destroy a comic book, and I
        don't want to buy an extra copy of any comic book that
        doesn't have the title character dying in it.

        I will say the last few issues haven't done much for
        me, they were all basically saying the same thing over
        and over. *I'm talking about Promethea, that is* The
        appearance by America's Best wasn't all that good
        either. It was like a Shooter-era Marvel book.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • dgrace2@uwo.ca
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
          Quoting Chris W <show_me68508@...>:

          > --- John L <cerebus87@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Anybody else make the poster out of the last issue
          > > of Promethea? I'm
          > > about to give it a go. I just got this comic on
          > > Friday, and have been
          > > waffling about whether to destroy it for the sake of
          > > art or not.
          > > Well, here goes...
          > >
          > > John L (I think I'm going to miss this comic almost
          > > as much as the
          > > little gray guy's book)
          > >
          > I've been debating whether or not to make the poster
          > as well. I don't want to destroy a comic book, and I
          > don't want to buy an extra copy of any comic book that
          > doesn't have the title character dying in it.

          Well, there's MY first big laugh for today!

          Dom
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
            --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, John L <cerebus87@g...> wrote:
            > Anybody else make the poster out of the last issue of Promethea?
            I'm
            > about to give it a go. I just got this comic on Friday, and have
            been
            > waffling about whether to destroy it for the sake of art or not.
            > Well, here goes...
            >
            > John L (I think I'm going to miss this comic almost as much as the
            > little gray guy's book)

            -------- Still waiting for my poster set in the mail. Yes, I dropped
            the $50 on it. I find Promethea worthy.

            -Jeff
          • John L
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
              On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:03:14 -0000, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

              > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, John L <cerebus87@g...> wrote:
              > > Anybody else make the poster out of the last issue of Promethea?
              > I'm
              > > about to give it a go. I just got this comic on Friday, and have
              > been
              > > waffling about whether to destroy it for the sake of art or not.
              > > Well, here goes...
              > >
              > > John L (I think I'm going to miss this comic almost as much as the
              > > little gray guy's book)
              >
              > -------- Still waiting for my poster set in the mail. Yes, I dropped
              > the $50 on it. I find Promethea worthy.
              >
              > -Jeff

              Who's selling the poster?

              John L
            • matt_fabb@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, John L <cerebus87@g...> wrote:
                > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:03:14 -0000, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@c...> wrote:
                > >

                > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, John L <cerebus87@g...> wrote:
                > > > Anybody else make the poster out of the last issue of Promethea?
                > > I'm
                > > > about to give it a go. I just got this comic on Friday, and have
                > > been
                > > > waffling about whether to destroy it for the sake of art or not.
                > > > Well, here goes...
                > > >
                > > > John L (I think I'm going to miss this comic almost as much as the
                > > > little gray guy's book)
                > >
                > > -------- Still waiting for my poster set in the mail. Yes, I dropped
                > > the $50 on it. I find Promethea worthy.
                > >
                > > -Jeff
                >
                > Who's selling the poster?
                >
                > John L

                It's from DC/Wildstorm just like the comic:
                http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=2646

                It's a shame DC/Wildstorm couldn't just sell the poster by itself for
                $10 or how much the poster by itself would cost, instead of packaging
                it with a hardcover book, having it signed and number by Moore and
                William and on top of that making it limited edition and only printing
                1,000 copies for $50. Seems that someone from DC/Wildstorm marketing
                couldn't help themselves in making this over-the-top expensive
                edition. While I'm sure the hardcore Promethea fans like all the
                extras, but it's too bad they couldn't have made a cheaper version
                with just the poster for the more casual fan.

                -Matthew Fabb
              • John L
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                  On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:05:50 -0000, matt_fabb@...
                  <matt_fabb@...> wrote:

                  > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, John L <cerebus87@g...> wrote:

                  > > > I'm
                  > > > been

                  > > > -------- Still waiting for my poster set in the mail. Yes, I dropped
                  > > > the $50 on it. I find Promethea worthy.
                  > > >
                  > > > -Jeff
                  > >
                  > > Who's selling the poster?
                  > >
                  > > John L
                  >
                  > It's from DC/Wildstorm just like the comic:
                  > http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=2646
                  >
                  > It's a shame DC/Wildstorm couldn't just sell the poster by itself for
                  > $10 or how much the poster by itself would cost, instead of packaging
                  > it with a hardcover book, having it signed and number by Moore and
                  > William and on top of that making it limited edition and only printing
                  > 1,000 copies for $50. Seems that someone from DC/Wildstorm marketing
                  > couldn't help themselves in making this over-the-top expensive
                  > edition. While I'm sure the hardcore Promethea fans like all the
                  > extras, but it's too bad they couldn't have made a cheaper version
                  > with just the poster for the more casual fan.
                  >
                  > -Matthew Fabb

                  You can always go the "ultimate" cheapskate version and tape the pages
                  together like I did!

                  John L
                • matt_fabb@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                    --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, John L <cerebus87@g...> wrote:
                    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:05:50 -0000, matt_fabb@y...
                    > <matt_fabb@y...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, John L <cerebus87@g...> wrote:

                    > > > Who's selling the poster?
                    > > >
                    > > > John L
                    > >
                    > > It's from DC/Wildstorm just like the comic:
                    > > http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=2646
                    > >
                    > > It's a shame DC/Wildstorm couldn't just sell the poster by itself for
                    > > $10 or how much the poster by itself would cost, instead of packaging
                    > > it with a hardcover book, having it signed and number by Moore and
                    > > William and on top of that making it limited edition and only printing
                    > > 1,000 copies for $50. Seems that someone from DC/Wildstorm marketing
                    > > couldn't help themselves in making this over-the-top expensive
                    > > edition. While I'm sure the hardcore Promethea fans like all the
                    > > extras, but it's too bad they couldn't have made a cheaper version
                    > > with just the poster for the more casual fan.
                    > >
                    > > -Matthew Fabb
                    >
                    > You can always go the "ultimate" cheapskate version and tape the pages
                    > together like I did!
                    >
                    > John L

                    Yeah, but it would be nice to have a poster of it instead a badly
                    taped together version. Currently I have neither as I have yet had a
                    chance to drop by the comic book store and pick up a copy, or two
                    copies if I want to destroy one and keep the other.

                    Then again, I would also love for DC to release some posters of Dave
                    McKean's Sandman covers, or hell any Dave McKean poster, but with the
                    exception of promotional posters that doesn't seem to happen.

                    -Matthew Fabb
                  • Greg
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                      > > > It's a shame DC/Wildstorm couldn't just sell the poster by
                      itself for
                      > > > $10 or how much the poster by itself would cost, instead of
                      packaging
                      > > > it with a hardcover book, having it signed and number by Moore
                      and
                      > > > William and on top of that making it limited edition and only
                      printing
                      > > > 1,000 copies for $50. Seems that someone from DC/Wildstorm
                      marketing
                      > > > couldn't help themselves in making this over-the-top expensive
                      > > > edition. While I'm sure the hardcore Promethea fans like all
                      the
                      > > > extras, but it's too bad they couldn't have made a cheaper
                      version
                      > > > with just the poster for the more casual fan.
                      > > >
                      > > > -Matthew Fabb
                      > >
                      > > You can always go the "ultimate" cheapskate version and tape the
                      pages
                      > > together like I did!
                      > >
                      > > John L
                      >
                      > Yeah, but it would be nice to have a poster of it instead a badly
                      > taped together version. Currently I have neither as I have yet had
                      > chance to drop by the comic book store and pick up a copy, or two
                      > copies if I want to destroy one and keep the other.
                      >
                      > Then again, I would also love for DC to release some posters of
                      Dave
                      > McKean's Sandman covers, or hell any Dave McKean poster, but with
                      the
                      > exception of promotional posters that doesn't seem to happen.
                      >
                      > -Matthew Fabb

                      Wildstorm has said there will be an "inexpensive" version of
                      the "posters" a few months after the delux version comes out. If my
                      memory is correct they are not releasing a double-sided poster (like
                      you get if you pull the comic apart and tape it together) but two
                      single sided posters.

                      -Greg
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                        --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg.sullivan@d...> wrote:

                        > itself for
                        > packaging
                        Moore
                        > and
                        > printing
                        > marketing
                        > the
                        > version

                        > > > You can always go the "ultimate" cheapskate version and tape
                        the
                        > pages
                        > > > together like I did!
                        > > >
                        > > > John L
                        > >
                        > > Yeah, but it would be nice to have a poster of it instead a badly
                        > > taped together version. Currently I have neither as I have yet
                        had
                        > > chance to drop by the comic book store and pick up a copy, or two
                        > > copies if I want to destroy one and keep the other.
                        > >
                        > > Then again, I would also love for DC to release some posters of
                        > Dave
                        > > McKean's Sandman covers, or hell any Dave McKean poster, but
                        with
                        > the
                        > > exception of promotional posters that doesn't seem to happen.
                        > >
                        > > -Matthew Fabb
                        >
                        > Wildstorm has said there will be an "inexpensive" version of
                        > the "posters" a few months after the delux version comes out. If
                        my
                        > memory is correct they are not releasing a double-sided poster
                        (like
                        > you get if you pull the comic apart and tape it together) but two
                        > single sided posters.
                        >
                        > -Greg

                        --------- Actually, there is no "hardcover" autographed book as far
                        as I know. Although it's advertised as some kind of deluxe "saddle
                        stitched" book, it's actually a saddle stapled comic re-printing all
                        the covers, autographed. And I *think* what's supposed to be re-
                        released is the cover gallery book, without the signatures, at "some
                        future date". I don't think the posters will be re-released.

                        --------- As far as who's selling them? I found 1 place in Arizona,
                        but the set they received was damaged. Found another place in
                        Boston, and they have 1 set on hold for me until next week, in case
                        the other set can't be replaced by Diamond. Other than that, I've
                        seen 2 sets on eBay. One went for $260, the other is up to $117.50.

                        --------- If I end up with a 2nd set, I'll let you know John.

                        -Jeff
                      • John L
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                          On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 00:42:52 -0000, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

                          > > itself for
                          > > packaging
                          > Moore
                          > > and
                          > only
                          > > printing
                          > > marketing
                          > expensive
                          > > the
                          > > version

                          > the
                          > > pages

                          > > > Yeah, but it would be nice to have a poster of it instead a badly
                          > > > taped together version. Currently I have neither as I have yet
                          > had
                          > > > chance to drop by the comic book store and pick up a copy, or two
                          > > > copies if I want to destroy one and keep the other.
                          > > >
                          > > > Then again, I would also love for DC to release some posters of
                          > > Dave
                          > > > McKean's Sandman covers, or hell any Dave McKean poster, but
                          > with
                          > > the
                          > > > exception of promotional posters that doesn't seem to happen.
                          > > >
                          > > > -Matthew Fabb
                          > >
                          > > Wildstorm has said there will be an "inexpensive" version of
                          > > the "posters" a few months after the delux version comes out. If
                          > my
                          > > memory is correct they are not releasing a double-sided poster
                          > (like
                          > > you get if you pull the comic apart and tape it together) but two
                          > > single sided posters.
                          > >
                          > > -Greg
                          >
                          > --------- Actually, there is no "hardcover" autographed book as far
                          > as I know. Although it's advertised as some kind of deluxe "saddle
                          > stitched" book, it's actually a saddle stapled comic re-printing all
                          > the covers, autographed. And I *think* what's supposed to be re-
                          > released is the cover gallery book, without the signatures, at "some
                          > future date". I don't think the posters will be re-released.
                          >
                          > --------- As far as who's selling them? I found 1 place in Arizona,
                          > but the set they received was damaged. Found another place in
                          > Boston, and they have 1 set on hold for me until next week, in case
                          > the other set can't be replaced by Diamond. Other than that, I've
                          > seen 2 sets on eBay. One went for $260, the other is up to $117.50.
                          >
                          > --------- If I end up with a 2nd set, I'll let you know John.
                          >
                          > -Jeff

                          Oh, don't worry about me. 50 bucks sounds a bit steep for what's in
                          the set to me.

                          John L
                        • matt_fabb@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005

                            > itself for
                            > packaging
                            > and
                            > printing
                            > marketing
                            > the
                            > version

                            > > > You can always go the "ultimate" cheapskate version and tape the
                            > pages
                            > > > together like I did!
                            > > >
                            > > > John L
                            > >
                            > > Yeah, but it would be nice to have a poster of it instead a badly
                            > > taped together version. Currently I have neither as I have yet had
                            > > chance to drop by the comic book store and pick up a copy, or two
                            > > copies if I want to destroy one and keep the other.
                            > >
                            > > Then again, I would also love for DC to release some posters of
                            > Dave
                            > > McKean's Sandman covers, or hell any Dave McKean poster, but with
                            > the
                            > > exception of promotional posters that doesn't seem to happen.
                            > >
                            > > -Matthew Fabb
                            >
                            > Wildstorm has said there will be an "inexpensive" version of
                            > the "posters" a few months after the delux version comes out. If my
                            > memory is correct they are not releasing a double-sided poster (like
                            > you get if you pull the comic apart and tape it together) but two
                            > single sided posters.
                            >
                            > -Greg

                            Thanks for letting me know about that Greg! I'll definitely be on the
                            lookout for those two posters.

                            -Matthew Fabb
                          • Governor
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 4, 2005
                              My local comic book store (Bedrock City - Houston) received the final
                              issue AND a package with two posters and a comic.

                              The two posters are the final issue (each one sided) and the extra
                              comic is a signed edition of all the covers of Promethea.

                              So... you can buy the comic book version of #32 or you can buy the
                              poster version. I stuck with the regular comic book version and
                              instead - invested my funds in picking up the new Samurai series.

                              - Paul

                              --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Stanley Lieber <stanley.lieber@g...>