Re: [cerebus] any more SPACE anecdotes?

  • Tony Palermo
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2002
      Elsewhere, Tony wrote:

      > I asked Sim at SPACE who was responsible for the write-ups in
      > PREVIEWS. He does 'em...and with Tongue Firmly In Cheek.

      Tony: Why didn't you share this nugget with the denizens of this list?
      This is important stuff! Any more gems from your chat with Dave @ SPACE?
      We wanna know all...

      /hal

      T replies:
      D'oh!
      Y'know...since I got back...I mustah just assumed that I already wrote this
      up. Well DAGNUBBIT, time to rectify that, eh?

      I drove from Saint Paul, MN to Columbus, OH to attend SPACE 2002 (with the
      Intent to Nerd-Out with the Best of 'em). The original plan was that
      several friends were going to 'tagalong' for shits and giggles (as the kids
      don't say anymore) but, as Leaving Time approached all but I remained
      (dammit). Thus, twas an early Thursday Morning that I hit the road
      (gently...didn't wanna bruise anything seriously) with my First Stop being
      Chicago (and an overnight at a friend and his wife's pad).

      (Chicago Summary: Talk, Laugh, Beer, Pizza, Sleep, Coffee, Pastry, Leave)

      Flash forward to late Friday Afternoon as I pull into Columbus.
      Four Hotels later I actually manage to get a Room for two nights (ugh).
      The Hitch? There is a Tibetan Spaniel Convention going on at the Hotel. Do
      I mind dogs, asked the clerk? Well...I own a English Bulldog (which in no
      way comes close to a yippy Tibetan Spaniel) and after going to Four Hotels
      and not securing a room? I sleep in the Kennels with the damn things...Just
      gimme a room.

      Done and Done.

      (Friday Evening Summary: What? I forgot to eat Dinner? What Time is it?
      10 PM!!! Shite! Food!)

      Saturday

      The Convention is set to begin a 10 AM. I figure, since I drove all this
      way (total of 1600 miles roundtrip flat on me ass) I had better soak up
      every minute of the Con (and as much time being a Fanboy to Dave and Ger).

      Get there and check out the schedule of events, where exhibitors and
      creators are sitting...Where's Dave and Ger's table? What!?! They don't
      have a Table? Shit!!! Oh...wait...there they are on the list (whew).

      A little after Ten and Gerhard is sitting patiently alone and, obviously,
      waiting for Sim to show up (he might have been strolling about looking at
      the stuff there). I decide to do a little walkabout myself and work my way
      back to them (delayed gratification, eh?).

      Bought lots of cool stuff, including FAITH by Bill Knapp; the winner of the
      first annual Gene Day Prize.

      Okay...Dave Time.

      I am literally the Second Person to go to their table. Sim and Ger are
      rather non-descript...not to mention they had Nothing for Sale, No Banners,
      No Nothing...but themselves and some Pens for sketches and signatures...and
      Of Course, Conversation is Free.

      Amen.

      Shake Dave's hand, tell him the last time we met (last year at Chicago's
      Graham Crackers signing), and that- Duh- I am huge Fan of his Tale. He asks
      me where I am from and, upon hearing Saint Paul, where I usually go to get
      my comics. I rattle off a few names, including Dreamhaven...which he nods
      to and says, Good Store.

      This is where the PREVIEWS talk started (and whilst the chitting and
      chatting is going on...he's drawing a Cerebus for me with Ger waiting to add
      the bricks and shadows).
      I asked him who writes those blurbs up.
      He and Gerhard laugh and he fesses up that, yes, tis Dave himself.

      Har!

      Hence the tone of those write-ups in PREVIEWS...he's having a Hoot.

      I made mention how fun (and frustrating at times) it is to read and re-read
      the tale, interpreting (and misinterpreting) the trials and tribulations of
      the Grey Bastard...to which Dave replied, "How do you think I feel? I'm the
      only one that knows the complete story," with a grin on his face.

      Right about this time a gal in a CEREBUS FOR DICTATOR shirt appeared. Could
      this be our MARGARET? Indeed. I intro meself and she Flees the
      Building...screaming at the top of her lungs that I am
      He-That-Should-Remain-Nameless...er...

      no no no.

      So...we meet each other as Margaret is going to meet Dave and Ger for the
      First Time. Cool!

      This happens while Ger is working on the background of my new sketch.

      Margaret introduces herself simply as Margaret and Dave recalls her last
      name!!! Sweet! Eventually, I took the photo of them together (as seen in
      an earlier post) and Dave does tell her to not get anymore tattoos.

      Eep.
      End of Part One (more to come...but I should get a little work done, eh?)

      "Dolphin, Porpoise, Eskimo.
      Big Jack Daniels and Tokyo Joe.
      Fishes in the Sea swimming low, swimming low.
      And I'm Running Down the Alley in the After-Glow."
      SBM: Martian

      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2002
        --- Tony Palermo <thepongo@...> wrote:

        > Eep.
        > End of Part One (more to come...but I should get a
        > little work done, eh?)

        More, more!! :)

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • meowwcat
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2002
          Tony did say:
          > Margaret introduces herself simply as Margaret and Dave recalls her
          > last name!!! Sweet!

          Yup. I was Miss Eloquent. :)

          > End of Part One (more to come...but I should get a little work
          > done, eh?)

          work smwork! come on, come on! ;)

          I enjoyed the first bit of your story. Can't wait to hear the rest.
          Yeah, I know I was there, but I might have missed something when I
          went to the bathroom. *grin*

          Margaret
          http://www.cerebusfangirl.com
        • ctowner1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2002
            In a message dated Thu, 2 May 2002  4:30:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "meowwcat" <meowwcat@...> writes:

            >> End of Part One (more to come...but I should get a little work
            >> done, eh?)
            >
            >work smwork! come on, come on! ;)
            >
            >I enjoyed the first bit of your story. Can't wait to hear the rest.
            >Yeah, I know I was there, but I might have missed something when I
            >went to the bathroom. *grin*
            >
            >Margaret
            >http://www.cerebusfangirl.com

            But TONY might have missed something too! All the more reason to give us YOUR blow by blow! What did you ask them? what did they tell you? What did you see? What did you do? Would it hurt you to write us? You KNOW how your mom and we worry about you!

            L nny
          • meowwcat
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2002
              Lenny did say:

              > But TONY might have missed something too! All the more reason to
              > give us YOUR blow by blow! What did you ask them? what did they
              > tell you? What did you see? What did you do? Would it hurt you to
              > write us? You KNOW how your mom and we worry about you!

              but. . .but... but. I already did give my account. it wasn't much as
              I didn't ask them anything, I was just a shy fangirl. It was on of
              the first posts on SPACE:

              and pictures at:

              enjoy! if ya have any questions, just ask away. well, with regards to
              the SPACE con.

              margaret
            • ctowner1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2002
                In a message dated Thu, 2 May 2002  5:25:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "meowwcat" <meowwcat@...> writes:

                >Lenny did say:
                >
                >> But TONY might have missed something too! All the more reason to
                >> give us YOUR blow by blow!  What did you ask them? what did they
                >> tell you? What did you see? What did you do? Would it hurt you to
                >> write us?  You KNOW how your mom and we worry about you!
                >
                >but. . .but... but. I already did give my account. it wasn't much as
                >I didn't ask them anything, I was just a shy fangirl. It was on of
                >the first posts on SPACE:

                >and pictures at:
                >
                >enjoy! if ya have any questions, just ask away. well, with regards to
                >the SPACE con.
                >
                >margaret

                but what happened to all the sex and violence? ;^)

                L nny
              • Tony Palermo
                Message 7 of 11 , May 2, 2002
                  >I enjoyed the first bit of your story. Can't wait to hear the rest.
                  >Yeah, I know I was there, but I might have missed something when I
                  >went to the bathroom. *grin*
                  >
                  >Margaret
                  >http://www.cerebusfangirl.com

                  But TONY might have missed something too! All the more reason to give us
                  YOUR blow by blow! What did you ask them? what did they tell you? What did
                  you see? What did you do? Would it hurt you to write us? You KNOW how your
                  mom and we worry about you!

                  L nny

                  Okay...Part Due:

                  Err...where was I?
                  Columbus, Ohio
                  SPACE Con
                  Acting like a True Sim-ian...

                  We take a few photos of Dave and Margaret.
                  Whilst Dave is producing Margaret's sketch, I engage the next fellow in-line
                  in a bit of chit-chat. He had brought along something like Eight of the
                  Phonebooks for signatures. As it turns out, those were the last of the ones
                  he needed signed in order to have a complete set with Dave's sig in each
                  (wow).

                  OH...and one Item that I had to get signed by Dave was a Cerebus
                  Figurine/Statue (about six inches tall...and damned expensive off of E-Bay).
                  Dave did so with a big grin on his face (silly fanboy!).

                  There is still a bit of time before the first Panel Discussion on the
                  History of Mini-Comics (of which Dave would be joining in, among others) so
                  I roam the Con for Non-Cerebus-Related Stuff, telling Margaret that I will
                  see her there.

                  During my Wanderings I met Alex Robinson, of BOX OFFICE POISON fame (read
                  this book if you haven't already). Super Great guy...very amiable
                  (hell...EVERYONE was amiable...which makes since cuz they wanna move
                  product, sure...but, seriously, everyone was Great). Talk for awhile about
                  his stuff and TOP SHELF'S status.

                  Another fun gentleman I met was Thomas Williams...creator of Satanic
                  Paperboy and...er...I forget the name of the other character, but he's a
                  Cowboy Cyclops (sweet stuff...very funny). I bought a bunch of his stuff as
                  well.

                  Talked to the Crew from THE LAFFING OGRE, one of Columbus' comic shops (got
                  into a discussion about McFarlane...and not a nice one) and bought a copy of
                  MAAKIES by Tony Millionaire off of 'em (holy shite is it hilarious...Drinky
                  Crow!!!). I even popped over to their store later that evening to poke
                  around and talk to the guys there.

                  Lessee...

                  The first Panel began at 1PM and, as I said, Dave was participating.
                  Shortly, after it began, one presenter (name escapes me) produces a few
                  copies of EARLY Yummy Fur. Dave immediately buys them off the guy (yes,
                  during the Panel Talk). The creator of CYNICAL MAN was there too (Feazell?
                  Matt Feazell? Is that his name?). Man, great talk...but at an hour...way
                  too short).

                  I hook up with Margaret again for the Presentation of the GENE DAY PRIZE
                  (first Annual) to Bill Knapp and his work FAITH. Short and Sweet. Dave has
                  many good things to say about the work and Bill accepts it with a quick
                  THANK YOU (aww...he's a bit shy, eh?). Afterwards I made damn well sure I
                  bought myself a copy (have yet to read it...SO MUCH TO READ!!!).

                  At Four PM, Margaret and I went and grabbed some eats at Don Pablo's and
                  chatted up a storm; about CEREBUS and Dave (duh), other comics, my friend,
                  Jon Lewis, and his new writing gig for DC's ROBIN, and soo much more (I
                  talked so much I musta melted off one of the poor darling's ears). When we
                  were done we returned to the Con for the last hour...I had realized that I
                  had a few Phonebooks with me that I should get signed (DUH). I had gotten
                  so distracted by He That is Sim that I totally forgot about these books in
                  my car (WOMEN, READS, MINDS...I would have brought more but I didn't think
                  he would sign them all...of course, I was wrong...but I didn't want to carry
                  all of 'em...well, I had GUYS signed last year in Chicago). When we got
                  back to the Sim/Gerhard table, Dave was doing a sketch for Alex Robinson
                  (who had a great quote right then and there: "It's my turn to be a Fan
                  Boy"). I asked Dave if it was Okay for a few more signatures which he
                  gladly did when he completed Alex's sketch (which turned out to be Mug Shots
                  of Cerebus...front and profile...fat...with a cig in his mouth...FANTASTIC).
                  While all of this was going on, a gentleman from SAVANT Magazine came by
                  and asked Dave if he'd do an interview (I e-mailed the guy...the mag is an
                  on-line mag...Dave didn't do the interview per se...dernnit). Since I was
                  all done and it was almost Six...well...that's that. Margaret and I walked
                  back to my car, she took my picture, we said CIAO (and I apologized if I
                  scared the shite out of her) and we were on our seperate ways.

                  I was all 'shagged out after a long squawk' if you know what I mean...so I
                  needed a nap. Took my haul back to the Hotel. Rest. Went to the LAFFING
                  OGRE later on (bought the first BEANWORLD trade and one issue I was missing
                  from the current CAPTAIN MARVEL run...issue 11). Went back to the
                  hotel...read...ESPN (the NFL draft was the next day)...CNN (Robert
                  Blake...BUSTED).

                  Rest of the Trip Summary: Pizza, SNL (Alec Baldwin as Tony
                  Bennett...priceless), READ READ READ, snore, Leave Town, Rain, Indianapolis,
                  Oingo Boingo CDs, Zappa CDs, Chicago by 3PM, dinner, stay at friend's house,
                  blahblahblah...home by 3 in the afternoon Monday.
                  Roger the bulldog goes crazy...me? Damn satisfied.

                  "Maybe he's doing a study of really big pants."
                  Dennis Leary: THE JOB

                • Tony Palermo
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 2, 2002
                    but what happened to all the sex and violence? ;^)

                    L nny

                    T replies:
                    'Sax and Violins' is a great tune by the Talking Heads...but I left that one
                    at home.

                    The only Sex and Violence I came close to was on the Pay-per-View at the
                    Hotel but I wasn't about to spend 11 bucks for it.
                    ;-)

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 3, 2002
                      --- Tony Palermo <thepongo@...> wrote:

                      > Okay...Part Due:

                      Excellent report, Tony! It was like I was
                      there...well, almost. :)

                      Dave has been to my part of Texas only three times
                      that I know of, and I've made it to all three...but
                      it's been a VERY long time since the last time, and
                      I've got phonebooks that need signing as well!! Heh!

                      http://health.yahoo.com
                    • Tony Palermo
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 3, 2002
                        --- Tony Palermo <thepongo@...> wrote:

                        > Okay...Part Due:

                        Excellent report, Tony! It was like I was
                        there...well, almost. :)

                        Dave has been to my part of Texas only three times
                        that I know of, and I've made it to all three...but
                        it's been a VERY long time since the last time, and
                        I've got phonebooks that need signing as well!! Heh!

                        TTM

                        T replies:
                        Hey, thanks.
                        I could have done a LOT better if I hadn't been writing it on-the-fly here
                        at work (must get 'puter for home...but not one like Deathlok has in his
                        head...that'd get silly in a hurry...not to mention my name isn't
                        Luther...).

                        What is a dern shame are the Times I have missed him when he's visited the
                        Twin Cities. Minneapolis (Dreamhaven) was a stop on the CEREBUS WORLD TOUR
                        and there were a few more times that he (and Gerhard) have swung through in
                        the 80s and 90s that I missed. Talk about the convenience of seeing the
                        fellow in your OWN HOME TOWN instead of trekking about the Country.

                        Don't take this the Wrong way...both Trips were well-worth the Travel Time!

                        I'll do it again the next time it happens...

                        http://health.yahoo.com