Re: Diamond's Top 300 for Feb 02

  • jamesmoar
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2002
      --- In cerebus@y..., "meowwcat" <meowwcat@h...> wrote:
      > The only stat on phone book sales I have is:
      > "...May 2001 Top Trade Paperbacks list had CEREBUS: FORM AND VOID
      > listed at #17 with an estimated sales of 2,660."

      Which only represents the orders for the month of the TPB's release -
      after this, I'd expect a steady trickle of new orders over time. Same
      goes for the other TPBs.

      --
      James Moar

      "Okay, think of *this* as selective breeding in action..."
    • jamesmoar
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2002
        --- In cerebus@y..., "meowwcat" <meowwcat@h...> wrote:
        > --- In cerebus@y..., "Tony Palermo" <thepongo@h...> wrote:
        > > For January 2002 Cerebus was 6571 according to the link below:
        > >
        > > http://www.icv2.com/articles/indepth/987.html

        > ::smacks forhead:: ohh, that was Jan not Feb. I wonder when icv2 will
        > have the figures for Feb up. I also updated the site's numbers:
        >
        > Issue # Month Unit Rank Estimated Sales
        > 274 January 178 6,571
        >

        > For the year 2001:
        > Issue # Month Unit Rank Estimated Sales
        > 273 December 175 6,710
        > 272 November 199 6,798
        > 271 October 192 6,731
        > 270 September 178 783

        Sales figures for this one have got to be wrong...

        > 269 August 174 6,980
        > 268 July 181 7,060
        > 267 June 172 7,020
        > 266 May 159 7,020
        > 265 April 158 6,930
        > 264 March 174 6,730
        > 263 Febuary 178 7,070
        > 262 January 179 6,905

        > If I ever get a free second I'll put them into excel and do a chart
        > to see if I can get a trend.

        I'm not sure exactly how accurate these can be taken to be - certainly
        not to four significant figures, at least. If I remember correctly,
        Diamond gives its figures relative to the sales of BATMAN, so the
        estimates are made by getting sales figures for one comic, and using
        the relative sales to calculate the rest. There's a fair few ways for
        error to creep in.

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2002
          --- In cerebus@y..., Rick Sharer <rlsharer@y...> wrote:
          > meowwcat wrote:
          >
          > > blingbling. got it:
          > >
          > > QtyRank Guide Description Price Pub Qty Est
          > > 178 13.92 CEREBUS #274 $2.25 AAR 6,571
          > >
          > > from:
          > > http://www.icv2.com/articles/indepth/987.html
          > >

          > Good job. But it's #275 that's up to rank 171...that's the one I'm
          > interested in. It would be too convenient for Diamond to do this,
          > wouldn't it? :)

          I wouldn't call rank 178 to 171 a big jump, if that's what you're
          thinking. This far down the list, there's going to be a big effect
          from mini- and regular series stopping and starting, books skipping
          months or shipping twice in the month, and so on.

          Note that here:
          >267 June 172 7,020
          >266 May 159 7,020

          We've got a change of 13 places with the same estimated sales.