Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

RE: [cerebus] Digest Number 412

Expand Messages
  • Page 45
    ... Uh. 300 ? Work of the man s CAREER! Stephen
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      > I mean, the frist one was my favorite comic for a long time (until
      > but Frank Miller really hasn't put out
      > anything decent since the original Sin City.

      Uh. '300'? Work of the man's CAREER!

      Stephen
    • Andrew Ducker
      ... P4 Uh. 300 ? Work of the man s CAREER! I liked the art, but the story wasn t great, hampered by the fact that it had the kind of politics I really
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
      • 0 Attachment
        Page said:


        >> I mean, the frist one was my favorite comic for a long time (until
        >> but Frank Miller really hasn't put out
        >> anything decent since the original Sin City.

        P4> Uh. '300'? Work of the man's CAREER!

        I liked the art, but the story wasn't great, hampered by the fact that
        it had the kind of politics I really didn't like.

        Andy D
        --
        When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you sometimes find that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
      • jonesenstein@hotmail.com
        Does anyone else see a certain cohesiveness in Cerebus between High Society and Mothers & Daughters, and after that—nothing? It seems just about everything
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
        • 0 Attachment
          Does anyone else see a certain cohesiveness in Cerebus between High
          Society and Mothers & Daughters, and after that—nothing? It seems
          just about everything on every page in every story has a purpose up
          until Guys. After that it just seems like a regular (albeit very
          good) comic.
          Anyone else see this or am I WRONG?
        • John L
          ... To me there still seems to be a sense of things going somewhere, but where that is I only have a rough idea. I thought guys had a lot of comic relief, but
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
          • 0 Attachment
            >Does anyone else see a certain cohesiveness in Cerebus between High
            >Society and Mothers & Daughters, and after
            that—nothing?  It seems
            >just about everything on every page in
            every story has a purpose up
            >until Guys.  After that it just seems
            like a regular (albeit very
            >good) comic.
            >Anyone else see this or
            am I WRONG?

            To me there still seems to be a sense of things going somewhere, but where that is I only have a rough idea.  I thought guys had a lot of comic relief, but there was much of substance too.  I like the flow of things since 200, but there definitely is a 'different' flow the gray guy came back from Juno.
            John L
          • rainmandu@earthlink.net
            ... between High ... seems ... purpose up ... You are so wrong. But you re sort of right too. Cerebus isn t the Rise and Fall of Cerebus, it s the Rise and
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In cerebus@y..., jonesenstein@h... wrote:
              > Does anyone else see a certain cohesiveness in Cerebus
              between High
              > Society and Mothers & Daughters, and after that—nothing? It
              seems
              > just about everything on every page in every story has a
              purpose up
              > until Guys. After that it just seems like a regular (albeit very
              > good) comic.
              > Anyone else see this or am I WRONG?

              You are so wrong. But you're sort of right too. Cerebus isn't the
              Rise and Fall of Cerebus, it's the Rise and Fall and What
              Happens Later of Cerebus. The structure of the story (according
              to Dave) is a two hundred issue story with a one hundred issue
              epilogue. We're in the epilogue part now. So you're right in that
              there is a certain structure, a certain cohesiveness to the first two
              hundred issues, but you're wrong to imply that every page of
              every story after 'Mothers and Daughters' doesn't have a
              purpose. I believe it was Dave who used the example of Richard
              Nixon. If you only follow the story up to his 'exile,' all you've got
              is
              a pretty good story. What you don't have is a complete story. What
              we're seeing now is Cerebus and his world, as he is and as it is,
              in the aftermath of both his actions (and his inactions).

              Rainmandu
            • gregrsullivan@earthlink.net
              ... two ... got ... I don t know. I know Dave has said that everything since 200 is epilogue, but I think it is very hard to do a work of art where fully one
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In cerebus@y..., rainmandu@e... wrote:
                > --- In cerebus@y..., jonesenstein@h... wrote:
                > > Does anyone else see a certain cohesiveness in Cerebus
                > between High
                > > Society and Mothers & Daughters, and after that—nothing? It
                > seems
                > > just about everything on every page in every story has a
                > purpose up
                > > until Guys. After that it just seems like a regular (albeit very
                > > good) comic.
                > > Anyone else see this or am I WRONG?
                >
                > You are so wrong. But you're sort of right too. Cerebus isn't the
                > Rise and Fall of Cerebus, it's the Rise and Fall and What
                > Happens Later of Cerebus. The structure of the story (according
                > to Dave) is a two hundred issue story with a one hundred issue
                > epilogue. We're in the epilogue part now. So you're right in that
                > there is a certain structure, a certain cohesiveness to the first
                two
                > hundred issues, but you're wrong to imply that every page of
                > every story after 'Mothers and Daughters' doesn't have a
                > purpose. I believe it was Dave who used the example of Richard
                > Nixon. If you only follow the story up to his 'exile,' all you've
                got
                > is
                > a pretty good story. What you don't have is a complete story. What
                > we're seeing now is Cerebus and his world, as he is and as it is,
                > in the aftermath of both his actions (and his inactions).
                >
                > Rainmandu

                I don't know. I know Dave has said that everything since 200 is
                epilogue, but I think it is very hard to do a work of art where fully
                one third of the bulk is epilogue. I'm reserving judgement until
                he's done and I am enjoying "Latter Days" more than any Cerebus
                storyline in a long time. I just don't see how an epilogue that
                massive will seem right when looking at the work as a whole.

                I am looking forward to waiting and seeing, though.

                -Greg
              • jonesenstein@hotmail.com
                I m not saying anything is wrong with the way it is going. I mean, if Dave is trying to imitate life, then yes, pretty much the last 1/3 of someone s life is
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
                • 0 Attachment
                  I'm not saying anything is wrong with the way it is going. I mean,
                  if Dave is trying to imitate life, then yes, pretty much the last 1/3
                  of someone's life is epilogue (or at least it will probably be in
                  Dave's case), but there just seems to be such a purpose in mind, such
                  a goal. It's like all he wanted to do was talk to Cerebus in a
                  comic. That was accomplished; time for epilogue.

                  Speaking of Dave, has anyone heard anything (or have any ideas on)
                  what he will do after March 2004? I'm curious to see if he'll keep
                  with comics or go to writing traditional novels or just retire
                  (although from what I've seen of the circulation, there wouldn't be
                  much to retire on).
                • rainmandu@earthlink.net
                  ... mean, ... 1/3 ... mind, such ... ideas on) ... keep ... be ... He should be able to make a decent living by keeping the phone books in print. Dave said in
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In cerebus@y..., jonesenstein@h... wrote:
                    > I'm not saying anything is wrong with the way it is going. I
                    mean,
                    > if Dave is trying to imitate life, then yes, pretty much the last
                    1/3
                    > of someone's life is epilogue (or at least it will probably be in
                    > Dave's case), but there just seems to be such a purpose in
                    mind, such
                    > a goal. It's like all he wanted to do was talk to Cerebus in a
                    > comic. That was accomplished; time for epilogue.
                    >
                    > Speaking of Dave, has anyone heard anything (or have any
                    ideas on)
                    > what he will do after March 2004? I'm curious to see if he'll
                    keep
                    > with comics or go to writing traditional novels or just retire
                    > (although from what I've seen of the circulation, there wouldn't
                    be
                    > much to retire on).

                    He should be able to make a decent living by keeping the phone
                    books in print. Dave said in an interview somewhere that he
                    wants to do the phone books on better paper stock, possibly
                    even in hardcover, with both volumes of 'Church and State' in one
                    massive volume, but that he won't even think about anything like
                    that until after issue 300.
                    Somehow I don't think we'll be seeing a Dave Sim run on
                    Wonder Woman. "So this is Paradise Island, huh? You know, if
                    you had some men around here it would be a much better place.
                    And, hey, Diana, make me a sandwich. Oh, and grab me a beer
                    while you're at it. That's a good girl."

                    Rainmandu
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.