Re: [cerebus] Women (was: Jumping the shark)

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2003
      --- Greg <g.squared@...> wrote:

      > I would love to wring a little more appreciation out
      > of this book, by whatever means
      > necessary. Would you mind shedding a little light
      > on why it's one of your favorites?

      I'll tell you some of my favorite parts, so much so
      that I made sure Dave signed this one. :)

      --

      No hard feelings, eh?

      The penis is an organ without scruple, without
      humanity, without common sense. -- Astoria

      PunisherRoach in love.

      Cerebus meets the real Cirin.

      Swoon.

      Elrod-Death.

      Po's errant chess move.

      Cerebus as Pope (again, in hindsight), Cerebus as
      Barbarian (ditto) in beautiful two-page splashpage
      spread.

      The fake regency elf.

      Swoon enters (is shoved into) and invades (or is
      forced into) Astoria's Vagina...repeat of Astoria's
      ambiguous Rape?

      Astoria slugs Cirin.

      Cameos of Lord Julius.

      Cirin's broken Right Arm, Astoria's broken Left Arm.

      Jaka cameo.

      A *skinny* OLD Cerebus telling him he'll have no
      children.

      DeathMate and Leifeld Noun Roach, among many others.

      Another flawed sphere Ascension.

      And wonderful dialogue and plot and story coming
      together, readying the arc for Reads and Minds.

      --

      Mmmmmmm...great stuff.

    • Chris W
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2003
        > But since it was followed by "Reads" and "Minds" (in
        > my view, the high points of the
        > series), I can't agree that "Women" was the "jump
        > the shark" moment. I think that
        > dubious honor must be bestowed on "Rick's Story",
        > the "core moment" of which I'm
        > still searching for, lo, these many years later.
        >
        > -g

        The core moments of Rick's Story starts on pg. 87, the
        beginning of the 4th issue, and lasts for @ 4 more
        issues. Cerebus is of the sanctuary, but Rick is only
        at the Seat of Truth, two (count 'em) repeats of
        Something Fell...

        I re-read Rick's Story a few days ago, and I got a lot
        more out of it than I had before. I was tempted to
        take notes for posting.

      • ctowner1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2003
          In a message dated 11/1/2003 4:15:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, Chris W <show_me68508@...> writes:

          >> But since it was followed by "Reads" and "Minds" (in
          >> my view, the high points of the
          >> series), I can't agree that "Women" was the "jump
          >> the shark" moment.  I think that
          >> dubious honor must be bestowed on "Rick's Story",
          >> the "core moment" of which I'm
          >> still searching for, lo, these many years later.
          >>
          >> -g
          >>

          >The core moments of Rick's Story starts on pg. 87, the
          >beginning of the 4th issue, and lasts for @ 4 more
          >issues.  Cerebus is of the sanctuary, but Rick is only
          >at the Seat of Truth, two (count 'em) repeats of
          >Something Fell...>>

          L nny
          I think Dave pointed to a SINGLE moment in each story as a "core" moment.

          >I re-read Rick's Story a few days ago, and I got a lot
          >more out of it than I had before.  I was tempted to
          >take notes for posting.>>

          Suuure...just tease us with that whydontcha? :^)

          L nny
        • Chris W
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2003
            --- ctowner1@... wrote:
            > Standard Time, Chris W <show_me68508@...>
            > writes:
            >

            > >> But since it was followed by "Reads" and "Minds"
            > (in
            > >> my view, the high points of the
            > >> series), I can't agree that "Women" was the "jump
            > >> the shark" moment. �I think that
            > >> dubious honor must be bestowed on "Rick's Story",
            > >> the "core moment" of which I'm
            > >> still searching for, lo, these many years later.
            > >>
            > >> -g
            > >>

            > >The core moments of Rick's Story starts on pg. 87,
            > the
            > >beginning of the 4th issue, and lasts for @ 4 more
            > >issues. �Cerebus is of the sanctuary, but Rick is
            > only
            > >at the Seat of Truth, two (count 'em) repeats of
            > >Something Fell...>>

            > L nny
            > I think Dave pointed to a SINGLE moment in each
            > story as a "core" moment.

            He has (I think), but he's also said (Brownstein
            interview) elaborating that there's building up to the
            point, that there's a range of sub-points that have to
            go into the point, etc. He said Rick's Story had 12
            points for 12 issues.

            > >I re-read Rick's Story a few days ago, and I got a
            > lot
            > >more out of it than I had before. �I was tempted to
            > >take notes for posting.>>
            >
            > Suuure...just tease us with that whydontcha? :^)

            > L nny

            Don't mind if I do, thanks. :D

          • ctowner1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 1, 2003
              In a message dated 11/1/2003 4:42:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, Chris W <show_me68508@...> writes:

              >--- ctowner1@... wrote:
              >> In a message dated 11/1/2003 4:15:42 PM Eastern
              >> Standard Time, Chris W <show_me68508@...>

              >> (in

              >> >The core moments of Rick's Story starts on pg. 87,
              >> the
              >> >beginning of the 4th issue, and lasts for @ 4 more
              >> >issues.  Cerebus is of the sanctuary, but Rick is
              >> only
              >> >at the Seat of Truth, two (count 'em) repeats of
              >> >Something Fell...>>

              >> L nny
              >> I think Dave pointed to a SINGLE moment in each
              >> story as a "core" moment.
              >>

              >He has (I think), but he's also said (Brownstein
              >interview) elaborating that there's building up to the
              >point, that there's a range of sub-points that have to
              >go into the point, etc.  He said Rick's Story had 12
              >points for 12 issues.>>

              oh! Dave talks about CEREBUS in the Brownstein interview?? Somehow I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that it just involved Brownstein's work. Now I gotta read the durn thang! :^)

              >> >I re-read Rick's Story a few days ago, and I got a
              >> lot
              >> >more out of it than I had before.  I was tempted to
              >> >take notes for posting.>>
              >>
              >> Suuure...just tease us with that whydontcha? :^)

              >> L nny
              >>
              >Don't mind if I do, thanks. :D>>

              :^)

              L nny