Re: Hello and a question.

  • Doyle Tavener
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
      My thanks to Hal, Rick and Margaret for the welcome.

      Rick, I tell most people that ask me what my religion is that "I
      don't know". This usually freaks them out so much that they stop
      asking, though I do get the occasional poor soul trying to convert me
      to whatever it is they happen to believe at the moment.

      Hal, I tried Google, and found mention of the article, but not the
      text. Like I said earlier, I think the response in the article could
      be described as, "Ignore him." but I want to read the article again
      to be sure.

      Margaret, thanks very much for your web site. I find it invaluable
      and well put together, for what it is worth. Your suggestion about
      contacting Ms. Moore is both obvious and excellent, and proves either
      that I am a hopelessly fallen mama's boy, whose God-given intellect
      has been clouded by base emotion, or that you are more logical than
      me. :)

      Thanks again,

      Doyle
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
        --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer <rlsharer@y...> wrote:

        > > I heard about this list from a certain ChrisW on the
        > > The Comics
        > > Journal boards. He wanted to know why I was not on
        > > this list, and it
        > > seemed like an excellent question to me.
        >
        > ChrisW asks some good questions, and most of us have a
        > hundred different answers.

        He also writes some good song parodies, so I forgive him for liking
        Secret Wars. ;)

        - Larry Hart
      • V.
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
          --- Doyle wrote:

          > Hal, I tried Google, and found mention of the article, but not the
          > text. Like I said earlier, I think the response in the article could
          > be described as, "Ignore him." but I want to read the article again
          > to be sure.

          Have you tried the WayBackMachine or the Google *cache* ?

          [ http://www.archive.org ]

          - V.
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2003
            --- Doyle Tavener <doyletavener@...> wrote:

            > My thanks to Hal, Rick and Margaret for the welcome.

            Good to have you. :)

            > Rick, I tell most people that ask me what my
            > religion is that "I
            > don't know". This usually freaks them out so much
            > that they stop
            > asking, though I do get the occasional poor soul
            > trying to convert me
            > to whatever it is they happen to believe at the
            > moment.

            Heh. Well, some will tell you that I am the David
            Koresh of the list, but so far no government agency
            has torched my compound. Heh.

            When we get into religious discussions here (which can
            be many times!), people can say they worship anything
            from Freddy Krueger to Dave Sim, but I'm the guy that
            gets called a fanatic because I'm SO DAMN CONFIDENT OF
            MY BELIEF SYSTEM!...like that doesn't apply to
            everyone here. Heh.

            Anyway, I promise I won't bite or try to save your
            soul...but I do tend to splash a little holy water
            here and there, so mind your clothes.

            > Margaret, thanks very much for your web site. I find
            > it invaluable
            > and well put together, for what it is worth.

            Isn't it just the best? I told you, a wealth of
            resources...and you haven't read anything until you
            read a Tangents-like post from Steve, even if he's
            just saying hello.

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 4, 2003
              --- Larry <larrytheillini@...> wrote:
              > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer
              > <rlsharer@y...> wrote:
              > >

              > > > I heard about this list from a certain ChrisW on
              > the
              > > > The Comics
              > > > Journal boards. He wanted to know why I was not
              > on
              > > > this list, and it
              > > > seemed like an excellent question to me.
              > >
              > > ChrisW asks some good questions, and most of us
              > have a
              > > hundred different answers.
              > >

              > He also writes some good song parodies, so I forgive
              > him for liking
              > Secret Wars. ;)
              >
              > - Larry Hart

              Secret Wars Huh! Good God, y'all
              What is it good for?
              Absolutely nothin'

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 4, 2003
                --- Rick Sharer <rlsharer@...> wrote:

                > --- Doyle Tavener <doyletavener@...>
                > wrote:
                > > I heard about this list from a certain ChrisW on
                > the
                > > The Comics
                > > Journal boards. He wanted to know why I was not on
                > > this list, and it
                > > seemed like an excellent question to me.
                >
                > ChrisW asks some good questions, and most of us have
                > hundred different answers.

                You vill giff us ze answers now. Ve haff vays of
                making you talk

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 4, 2003
                  > Isn't it just the best? I told you, a wealth of
                  > resources...and you haven't read anything until you
                  > read a Tangents-like post from Steve, even if he's
                  > just saying hello.
                  >
                  > TTM

                  Those are my favorites :-D

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 5, 2003
                    --- Chris W <show_me68508@...> wrote:

                    > You vill giff us ze answers now. Ve haff vays of
                    > making you talk

                    Make Rick Sharer talk??? Tyr and think of a way to
                    get him to stop!

                    John L

                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 5, 2003
                      --- John L <cerebus1957@...> wrote:

                      > --- Chris W <show_me68508@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > You vill giff us ze answers now. Ve haff vays of
                      > > making you talk
                      >
                      > Make Rick Sharer talk??? Tyr and think of a way to
                      > get him to stop!
                      >
                      > John L

                      "So honey, what are you thinking about?"

                      http://shopping.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                        --- Chris W <show_me68508@...> wrote:

                        > > ChrisW asks some good questions, and most of us
                        > have
                        > > hundred different answers.
                        > >
                        > You vill giff us ze answers now. Ve haff vays of
                        > making you talk

                        NO! NOT THE TEN COMMANDMENTS AGAIN!! AARRRRRGGHHH!

                        STOP!! PLEASE!!! I'LL TALK!!

                        I ADMIT IT...I *AM* A ZEALOT!

                        TTM
                        my poor rights...

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                          --- John L <cerebus1957@...> wrote:

                          > --- Chris W <show_me68508@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > You vill giff us ze answers now. Ve haff vays of
                          > > making you talk
                          >
                          > Make Rick Sharer talk??? Tyr and think of a way to
                          > get him to stop!

                          I know! Get the government to do it and make up a way
                          to believe it's constitutional!

                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 6, 2003
                            --- Chris W <show_me68508@...> wrote:
                            > > Make Rick Sharer talk??? Tyr and think of a way
                            > > get him to stop!
                            > >
                            > > John L
                            > >

                            > "So honey, what are you thinking about?"

                            :)

                            http://shopping.yahoo.com
                          • L nny
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 3, 2003
                              --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Doyle Tavener" <doyletavener@h...>
                              wrote:
                              > Hi everyone,
                              >
                              > I'm Doyle, and I read Cerebus. (Waits for everyone to say "Hi,
                              Doyle."

                              > I heard about this list from a certain ChrisW on the The Comics
                              > Journal boards. He wanted to know why I was not on this list, and
                              it
                              > seemed like an excellent question to me.
                              >
                              > I am mostly interested, these days, in seeing how the end of the
                              > story will turn out, and in examining the ideas that Sim brings up
                              in
                              > a critical context. I am currently working on an article about
                              ways
                              > to evaluate Sim critically, hopefully for the Comics Journal.
                              >
                              > The reason I was posting on the Journal boards is that I want to
                              find
                              > an article posted on the Journal website about Sim.
                              >
                              > It was tilted "Report from the Homosexualist-Feminist Axis: A
                              > Refutation of Everything Dave Sim Has Ever Written Based on the
                              > Reading of a Single Sentence By Miss or Mrs. Ruthie Penmark"
                              >
                              > Written by Anne Elizabeth Moore, the current editor of the
                              journal, I
                              > remember it espoused a particular way to view Sim and his work:
                              > ignore him.
                              >
                              > At least that is how I remember the article's drift. Does anyone
                              here
                              > have a copy of said article?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              >
                              > Doyle>>

                              was this the guy?

                              L nny
                            • L nny
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 3, 2003
                                wrote:
                                > Hi everyone,
                                >
                                > I'm Doyle, and I read Cerebus. (Waits for everyone to say "Hi,
                                Doyle."

                                > I heard about this list from a certain ChrisW on the The Comics
                                > Journal boards. He wanted to know why I was not on this list, and
                                it
                                > seemed like an excellent question to me.
                                >
                                > I am mostly interested, these days, in seeing how the end of the
                                > story will turn out, and in examining the ideas that Sim brings up
                                in
                                > a critical context. I am currently working on an article about
                                ways
                                > to evaluate Sim critically, hopefully for the Comics Journal.
                                >
                                > The reason I was posting on the Journal boards is that I want to
                                find
                                > an article posted on the Journal website about Sim.
                                >
                                > It was tilted "Report from the Homosexualist-Feminist Axis: A
                                > Refutation of Everything Dave Sim Has Ever Written Based on the
                                > Reading of a Single Sentence By Miss or Mrs. Ruthie Penmark"
                                >
                                > Written by Anne Elizabeth Moore, the current editor of the
                                journal, I
                                > remember it espoused a particular way to view Sim and his work:
                                > ignore him.
                                >
                                > At least that is how I remember the article's drift. Does anyone
                                here
                                > have a copy of said article?
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                >
                                > Doyle>>

                                was this the guy?

                                L nny
                              • Tony
                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 3, 2003
                                  --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "L nny" <ctowner1@a...> wrote:
                                  > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Doyle Tavener" <doyletavener@h...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > > Hi everyone,
                                  > >
                                  > > I'm Doyle, and I read Cerebus. (Waits for everyone to say "Hi,
                                  > Doyle."
                                  > >
                                  > > I heard about this list from a certain ChrisW on the The Comics
                                  > > Journal boards. He wanted to know why I was not on this list, and
                                  > it
                                  > > seemed like an excellent question to me.
                                  > >
                                  > > I am mostly interested, these days, in seeing how the end of the
                                  > > story will turn out, and in examining the ideas that Sim brings
                                  up
                                  > in
                                  > > a critical context. I am currently working on an article about
                                  > ways
                                  > > to evaluate Sim critically, hopefully for the Comics Journal.
                                  > >
                                  > > The reason I was posting on the Journal boards is that I want to
                                  > find
                                  > > an article posted on the Journal website about Sim.
                                  > >
                                  > > It was tilted "Report from the Homosexualist-Feminist Axis: A
                                  > > Refutation of Everything Dave Sim Has Ever Written Based on the
                                  > > Reading of a Single Sentence By Miss or Mrs. Ruthie Penmark"
                                  > >
                                  > > Written by Anne Elizabeth Moore, the current editor of the
                                  > journal, I
                                  > > remember it espoused a particular way to view Sim and his work:
                                  > > ignore him.
                                  > >
                                  > > At least that is how I remember the article's drift. Does anyone
                                  > here
                                  > > have a copy of said article?
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks,
                                  > >
                                  > > Doyle>>
                                  >
                                  > was this the guy?

                                  > L nny

                                  Hmm...
                                  ???

                                  Very interesting.

                                  (channeling Arte Johnson)
                                • Matthew Fabb
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 3, 2003
                                    --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "L nny" <ctowner1@a...> wrote:
                                    > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Doyle Tavener" <doyletavener@h...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > > Hi everyone,
                                    > >
                                    > > I'm Doyle, and I read Cerebus. (Waits for everyone to say "Hi,
                                    > Doyle."
                                    > >
                                    > > I heard about this list from a certain ChrisW on the The Comics
                                    > > Journal boards. He wanted to know why I was not on this list, and
                                    > it
                                    > > seemed like an excellent question to me.
                                    > >
                                    > > I am mostly interested, these days, in seeing how the end of the
                                    > > story will turn out, and in examining the ideas that Sim brings
                                    up
                                    > in
                                    > > a critical context. I am currently working on an article about
                                    > ways
                                    > > to evaluate Sim critically, hopefully for the Comics Journal.
                                    > >
                                    > > The reason I was posting on the Journal boards is that I want to
                                    > find
                                    > > an article posted on the Journal website about Sim.
                                    > >
                                    > > It was tilted "Report from the Homosexualist-Feminist Axis: A
                                    > > Refutation of Everything Dave Sim Has Ever Written Based on the
                                    > > Reading of a Single Sentence By Miss or Mrs. Ruthie Penmark"
                                    > >
                                    > > Written by Anne Elizabeth Moore, the current editor of the
                                    > journal, I
                                    > > remember it espoused a particular way to view Sim and his work:
                                    > > ignore him.
                                    > >
                                    > > At least that is how I remember the article's drift. Does anyone
                                    > here
                                    > > have a copy of said article?
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks,
                                    > >
                                    > > Doyle>>
                                    >
                                    > was this the guy?

                                    > L nny

                                    Well, you're talking about the guy who wrote the Saturday Night
                                    article right? Because that article is credited to Christopher
                                    Shulgan. Looks like this is someone else writing an article for the
                                    Comic Journal (hmmm... there seems like there are quite a few people
                                    who have Cerebus articles in the works for TCJ).

                                    -Matt
                                  • Maincbs13@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 3, 2003
                                      In a message dated 12/3/03 1:28:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, matt_fabb@... writes:

                                      > was this the guy?

                                      > L nny

                                      Well, you're talking about the guy who wrote the Saturday Night
                                      article right? Because that article is credited to Christopher
                                      Shulgan. Looks like this is someone else writing an article for the
                                      Comic Journal (hmmm... there seems like there are quite a few people
                                      who have Cerebus articles in the works for TCJ).

                                      -Matt

                                            I think the reporter that came on line was going to write an article and had never read the book (or admitted to not reading hardly any of it). With that in mind, and Linda's recent "experience" with a reporter; well my hope would be that whomever writes an article has at least read the book? (maybe that's askin' too much) But I'm just sayin.'

                                                                                                  Bryan

                                    • Daniel Lindquist
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 3, 2003
                                        >From: Maincbs13@...
                                        >In a message dated 12/3/03 1:28:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                        >matt_fabb@... writes:
                                        >

                                        > > > was this the guy?

                                        > > > L nny
                                        > >
                                        > > Well, you're talking about the guy who wrote the Saturday Night
                                        > > article right? Because that article is credited to Christopher
                                        > > Shulgan. Looks like this is someone else writing an article for the
                                        > > Comic Journal (hmmm... there seems like there are quite a few people
                                        > > who have Cerebus articles in the works for TCJ).
                                        > >
                                        > > -Matt
                                        > >

                                        > I think the reporter that came on line was going to write an
                                        >article
                                        >and had never read the book (or admitted to not reading hardly any of it).
                                        >With
                                        >that in mind, and Linda's recent "experience" with a reporter; well my hope
                                        >would be that whomever writes an article has at least read the book? (maybe
                                        >that's askin' too much) But I'm just sayin.'

                                        I remember that guy, now. I think he said he was doing it for a school
                                        paper, or a journalism class. He certainly didn't mention that he was a
                                        freelancer working for the National Post.

                                        > Bryan
                                        Daniel