Re: [cerebus] Dave Sim's Kickstarter: Digital Cerebus

  • ctowner1@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2012
      This kickstarter keeps rolling!  Up to about 500 backers and $26K.  Nice to see Dave getting kudos here.  Perhaps not such a pariah, after all.

      L nny

      On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:14 AM, <ctowner1@...> wrote:
      got a thread started about this on the CGS Forums - feel free to chime in!

      http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/570/cerebus-kickstarter-campaign#latest

      L nny

      On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM, <ctowner1@...> wrote:
      Same here.  Wow.  The project was funded in 9 hours and doubled within 24 hours!  "Every Dollar beyond the goal will now be put towards a mastered soundtrack for the book and special sounds and effects and whatever else I can think of to throw in there and make it even better"

      L nny

      On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Dustin Frigy <dustinfrigy@...> wrote:

      Thanks for the heads-up!  I donated $15 this morning.  How awesome!!

      To: cerebus@yahoogroups.com
      From: cerebusfangirl@...
      Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 22:07:21 +0000
      Subject: [cerebus] Dave Sim's Kickstarter: Digital Cerebus

      So Dave has started a kickstarter campaign to help convert Cerebus into a digital format. From his kickstarter page:

      The  primary objective of this Kickstarter project is to introduce Cerebus to a new generation of comic book fans by turning the World's Longest Graphic Novel into the World's Longest Audio Book with (fingers crossed) the creation of digital versions of every page of each issue of Cerebus. Every digital issue will include front covers, editorials, essays, letters and back covers and be made available as a $0.99 digital download (If this project succeeds!) In addition to digital versions of the individual comic books, Dave Sim is also providing additional audio and video content, including:

          •   Sim performing all of the hundreds of Cerebus characters' dialogue as well as text and captions from the storyline for every issue

          •    Sim will also provide audio-visual commentary for every issue, looking back and providing his reflections and a look at all of the relevant documents in the chronological Cerebus Archive

         •    In addition, Dave Sim will also be shooting and narrating footage of his rough sketches and drawings (and translating cryptic entries) from his notebooks, as well as providing a never-before-seen "tour" close-up of the original art still in the Cerebus Archive (190 pages of the 500 page HIGH SOCIETY as an example) issue-by-issue.

      See more at the kickstarter page:

      --
      Take care,
      Margaret

    • Margaret

        From: cerebusfangirl@...
        Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 22:07:21 +0000

        http://www.cerebusfangirl.com
      • ctowner1@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2012
          Hmmm. That kinds makes the $50 level look more attractive than the
          $60 one. I wonder if it will result in people lowering their pledges
          to get the print?

          L nny

          Sent from my mobile device
        • Margaret
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 2, 2012
            I hope not - for anyone donating $50 or any of the levels above will be getting a print!

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               cerebus-digest@yahoogroups.com
               cerebus-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 2, 2012
              Oh..actually, I guess you can't lower a pledge because they already
              pulled your credit card (so if you pledge to a fully funded project
              like this one, is it basically the same as a purchase?).

              L nny

              --
              Sent from my mobile device
            • ctowner1@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 2, 2012
                Oh!! Then they need to update the campaign page- b/c I think it does
                not say that now.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 2, 2012
                  On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 9:06 AM, <ctowner1@...> wrote:
                  Oh!! Then they need to update the campaign page- b/c I think it does
                  not say that now.

                  L nny

                  I'll let John know - I got the info from the update page:

                  Update #9: KEVIN EASTMAN PRINT Now for EVERYONE at $50 and above!

                  Posted about 4 hours ago
                  GEEZ! Sorry Folks - this should clear everything up - ANYONE WHO PLEDGES $50 or HIGHER automatically get a Eastman and Sim Signed Kickstarter Print!!!
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 2, 2012
                    I think the way kickstarter works (not positive) is that you get what
                    the level you select offers. So if you want what's at the "$50 or
                    more" level and select $50 or more" you can donate, say, $75, but if
                    you selected "$50 or more," you'll get what's in the "$50 or more"
                    level and not the $75 level. So they really need to update the level
                    descriptions, I think.

                    L nny

                    On 6/2/12, Margaret <cerebusfangirl@...> wrote:
                    > On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 9:06 AM, <ctowner1@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Oh!! Then they need to update the campaign page- b/c I think it does
                    >> not say that now.

                    >> L nny
                    >>

                    > I'll let John know - I got the info from the update page:
                    > http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/189735833/cerebus-high-society-special-audio-visual-digital/posts/238930
                    > Update #9: KEVIN EASTMAN PRINT Now for EVERYONE at $50 and above!
                    > Posted about 4 hours ago
                    > GEEZ! Sorry Folks - this should clear everything up - ANYONE WHO PLEDGES
                    > $50 or HIGHER automatically get a Eastman and Sim Signed Kickstarter
                    > Print!!!
                    > --
                    > Take care,
                    > Margaret
                    > http://www.cerebusfangirl.com

                    --
                    Sent from my mobile device
                  • Matthew
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 9, 2012
                      It actually makes me wonder if Dave & John would have more success if they broken up making Cerebus digitally into several KickStarter campaigns (or if that would be milking the system too much)? Either way, the main prize here is High Society digitally and I think they could have done it again a few months later for Church & State (say both volumes as one package rather than separately).

                      Basically, I don't think it will clear $200K in just 21 days unfortunately.

                      -Matthew Fabb

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 9, 2012
                        Well, technically they have broken making cerebus up. This
                        kickstarter campaign is for high society. If they end up with extra
                        money to cover a few other volumes, that's great. When the money runs
                        out they can then do another campaign for the next volume in line. If
                        that campaign nets more than a single volume, they can go with that.
                        Repeat until/if The Last Day (and then the long awaited Miscellany?)
                        Volume is done.

                        L nny