OT: Chester Brown Question

  • Dominick Grace
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2012
       Totally, OT, but I figured someone here might be able to identify this for me. I'd swear there was a panel in Brown's Louis Riel where somebody has an idea, and because it's set in the nineteenth century, a kerosene lamp rather than a lightbulb appears over their head. However, I've been through the whole book (and the entire original series, since he did a lot of redrawing for the collected edition), and I can't find it. Anyone else remember this, or am I just on crack?

      Dom
    • ctowner1@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2012
        On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Dominick Grace <dgrace2@...> wrote:

         Totally, OT, but I figured someone here might be able to identify this for me. I'd swear there was a panel in Brown's Louis Riel where somebody has an idea, and because it's set in the nineteenth century, a kerosene lamp rather than a lightbulb appears over their head. However, I've been through the whole book (and the entire original series, since he did a lot of redrawing for the collected edition), and I can't find it. Anyone else remember this, or am I just on crack?

        Dom >>

        I haven't read it - but I did a little googling and came up with this:

        "  My cross-hatching in Louis Riel was inspired by Harold Gray’s shading technique, and I think I fell short of what the master accomplished.
            I’m glad you liked the way I handled Macdonald’s epiphany.  [#21] I’d originally drawn the scene in a different manner—placing it in Macdonald’s home in Ottawa rather than in the Batt’s Hotel in London—and had depicted an oil-lamp in a thought balloon over Sir John’s head as a 19th century substitute for a light bulb.  I decided that that was too cutesy when I redrew the scene. [#21]"

        so looks like he thought about it - but didn't do it.

        L nny
      • Dominick Grace

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 6, 2012

              Must be - funny how the mind works.  Either that, or you were reading the copy from The Dreaming library!  ;^)

              lol! I wish!

              Dom