Re: [cerebus] Maybe OT: Illuminatus

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
      Thursday, March 01, 2001, 4:16:57 AM, Bat wrote:

      B> Hi everybody,

      B> Have any of you read the Illuminatus Trilogy?

      About 8 times. I've also read the 'sequel', "The Schroedingers Cat
      Trilogy"

      It's very good, in a long, involved and confusing kind of way.

      It's about a bunch of people who blunder into the war between the
      illuminati and their opponents. The problem being that you're never
      sure who's on which side and how many sides there are and, indeed,
      whether there are any sides.

      It's got a mish mash of hundreds of the best conspiracy theories in it
      and contains within it everything you need to know about everything.

      I also recommend the Principia Discordia (it's online, do a search),
      which influenced it. The Principia is much more confused tho.

      Andy D
      ____

      "Pedantic" is another word for "Right"
    • Bat
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
        Andy said:
        >It's very good, in a long, involved and confusing
        >kind of way.

        Sounds like a description of Cerebus!

        Bryan said:
        >It's important to me when reading any author is to
        >find some comparison literature, especially what
        >makes the author tick.

        Yeah, I agree. Especially with something as rich
        and...LONG-TERM...as Cerebus, I think it enhances the
        overall experience.

        Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm looking
        forward to getting started!

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
          Thursday, March 01, 2001, 3:33:51 PM, Bat wrote:

          B> Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm looking
          B> forward to getting started!

          One piece of advice:
          don't try and figure out what's going on as you go along. Just flow
          with it (much like with Cerebus) and pick up bits and pieces as you
          go.

          It's the journey that's important, not the destination.

          Andy D
          ____

          Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time.
        • John L
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
            Bat said:

            > Have any of you read the Illuminatus Trilogy?

            I read this back in the early eighties, when it first came out in one volume.  I really don't know how to summarize it without using spoilers, other than to mention the conspiracy threads in it.  It has to be read; it resists summarization.  For me it was a life-changing experience to a degree.  IMHO, you can't look at life in quite the same way after reading Wilson's stuff.  I would also recommend The Cosmic Trigger and The Schrodinger's Cat trilogy if you can find them.  Bryan mentioned that it sounded similar to Foucault's Pendulum, and I would agree to a certain point, but there are vast differences in overall tone between the two.  And to Bryan:  I've read about half of Gravity's Rainbow, all of The Crying of Lot 49, and various short stories by Pynchon.  As to Burroughs, I haven't read Naked Lunch, but I've seen the movie (hehe).

            John L
          • Andrew Ducker
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
              From: "John L" <john87@...>
              >As to Burroughs, I haven't read Naked Lunch, but I've seen the movie
              (hehe).

              Strangely, having loved the movie I tried to read any of his books and
              failed miserably.

              Andy D
            • Bat
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
                Andy said:

                >From: "John L" <john87@...>
                >>As to Burroughs, I haven't read Naked Lunch, but
                >>I've seen the movie (hehe).

                >Strangely, having loved the movie I tried to read any
                >of his books and failed miserably.

                I read Naked Lunch about 15 years ago, and found most
                of it to be a struggle. I thought I must be missing
                something, or maybe I wasn't cool enough or
                intelligent enough to see what others saw in it. It
                was a pleasure to read Sim's recent comment about it
                being the work of a "typist" rather than a "writer" -
                I think that's a pretty accurate description!
                I saw the movie (about 5 years ago?) and thought it
                was quite entertaining, in a pretentious post-ironic
                sort of way.
                Trying to think if I've read any other Burroughs -
                there was a nifty short novel about lemurs that came
                out about 5 years ago - wasn't that posthumous
                Burroughs?

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/