Re: [cerebus] Re: OT: ComiXpress?

  • Matt Dow
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2010
      On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Ryan Dunne <cerebusboy@...> wrote:

       You know, I'm thinking that I'd rather pay above cover price to someone who ordered some issues from ComiXpress than go through that rigmarole. Dave has always been cool with comics speculation (I remember when he mentioned a couple coming up to him and saying they paid the first month's rent of their new apartment by selling Cerebus #1), but it strikes me that there might be more than a few people who'd rather pay Dave *direct* for subscriptions (although I know that might work out pricier for UK cerebus fans like me or Craig) than go the ComiXspress route. I mean, why not charge people for the PDF and let them print out their own copies? Dave would surely make far more of a profit charging $5 a pop (or whatever) instead of going via the comixspress middleman.

      Because Mom & Pop Comics can't print the PDF and sell it.

      Dave's still trying to save the brick and mortar comic shops.
      Matt Dow
      (Which is nice of him an all, but is rather pointless as long as Marvel and DC continue to try to kill the brick and mortar comic shops on a regular basis.)
    • Dominick Grace
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2010

        > On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Ryan Dunne <cerebusboy@...> wrote:
        >

        >  You know, I'm thinking that I'd rather pay above cover price to someone who ordered some issues from ComiXpress than go through that rigmarole. Dave has always been cool with comics speculation (I remember when he mentioned a couple coming up to him and saying they paid the first month's rent of their new apartment by selling Cerebus #1), but it strikes me that there might be more than a few people who'd rather pay Dave *direct* for subscriptions (although I know that might work out pricier for UK cerebus fans like me or Craig) than go the ComiXspress route. I mean, why not charge people for the PDF and let them print out their own copies? Dave would surely make far more of a profit charging $5 a pop (or whatever) instead of going via the comixspress middleman.

        > Because Mom & Pop Comics can't print the PDF and sell it.

        But, are Mom and Pop shops even ordering the minimum 10 books they need to to get a discount from ComiXpress? There are 3 (4 if you count this one kinda odd place) comics shops here, and two are pretty comprehensive (one's quite supportive of Dave's work, even has a glamourpuss poster up), but nobody local has had an issue of Cerebus Archive since it went POD.

        Dom

        "Simple Twist of Fate" - Bob Dylan

      • ctowner1@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2010
          On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Dominick Grace <dgrace2@...> wrote:

          > On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Ryan Dunne <cerebusboy@...> wrote:
          >

          >  You know, I'm thinking that I'd rather pay above cover price to someone who ordered some issues from ComiXpress than go through that rigmarole. Dave has always been cool with comics speculation (I remember when he mentioned a couple coming up to him and saying they paid the first month's rent of their new apartment by selling Cerebus #1), but it strikes me that there might be more than a few people who'd rather pay Dave *direct* for subscriptions (although I know that might work out pricier for UK cerebus fans like me or Craig) than go the ComiXspress route. I mean, why not charge people for the PDF and let them print out their own copies? Dave would surely make far more of a profit charging $5 a pop (or whatever) instead of going via the comixspress middleman.

          > Because Mom & Pop Comics can't print the PDF and sell it.

          But, are Mom and Pop shops even ordering the minimum 10 books they need to to get a discount from ComiXpress? There are 3 (4 if you count this one kinda odd place) comics shops here, and two are pretty comprehensive (one's quite supportive of Dave's work, even has a glamourpuss poster up), but nobody local has had an issue of Cerebus Archive since it went POD.

          Probably b/c their orders for CA while it was w/Diamond were well bleow 10 issues per month.

          I know DCBService.com is planning to offer CA, btw.  I've been told it will be available in their February soliciations which should be up some time this week, probably by Friday.  The catch is that they charge a flat $6 shipping fee per order.  I get my comics there regularly though, so the fee will be invisible to me in terms of buying CA.

          L nny
        • Dominick Grace
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2010

            But, are Mom and Pop shops even ordering the minimum 10 books they need to to get a discount from ComiXpress? There are 3 (4 if you count this one kinda odd place) comics shops here, and two are pretty comprehensive (one's quite supportive of Dave's work, even has a glamourpuss poster up), but nobody local has had an issue of Cerebus Archive since it went POD.

            > Probably b/c their orders for CA while it was w/Diamond were well bleow 10 issues per month.

            Yeah, that's kinda my point. The mom and pop stores (and even a lot of the big ones) weren't ordering and aren't gonna order 10+ copies. If they were, Diamond would still be carrying it.

            So, now,

            1. The cover price has increased 33%
            2. They have to get the book from a different distributor. I don't know how, or if, the word gets out to retailers that it's time to order a new book, so this could be even more problematic (if, for instance, they have to actively seek it out by visiting the site rather than by getting a solicitation), but at minimum, it adds a degree of extra work to ordering books. I know, stores used to order from multiple disttibutors all the time back in the day, but those days are long gone now.
            3. They have to order at least 10 books to get a discount. I know, not necesarily ten copies of the SAME book, but how many retailers are going to troll the ComiXpress site for another 8 books to order in order to get the 2 copies of CA they know they can sell? If they weren't ordering enough copies of the book to meet Diamond's minimum order threshold, they're sure not going to be ordering more copies of it NOW. (The fact that some stores weren't ordering more copies than they had advance orders for, so that new copies never appeared on the shelves, so that no new readers could be attracted, so that sales probably spiraled downward, is another matter, and one that I think suggests Dave's faith in the comic shop retailer, noble as it might be, is misplaced.)

            So, they're not ordering it.
            So the visibility of the book in stores is even lower now than it was before. . . .

            How this solution benefits the mom and pop retailers escapes me.

            Don't get me wrong, I understand that Dave has little choice here. If Diamond's not gonna carry the book but he wants to keep it available anyway, he has almost no options in this one-distributor market. I just don't see how this solution is going to get more copies into comic book stores. Within my limited experience, it's had the opposite effect. And I'm sure not going to pay what will end up being (at least) twice as much per issue as I paid before to order a single copy for myself directly from ComiXpress. The situation sucks. I hope that Dave's solution ends up working out for him and allows the book to remain viable, and I definitely give him credit for being willing to try such an experiment. But I'm waiting for the trade. :(

            Dom

            "Shelter from the Storm" - Bob Dylan

            Dom

            > I know DCBService.com is planning to offer CA, btw.  I've been told it will be available in their February soliciations which should be up some time this week, probably by Friday.  The catch is that they charge a flat $6 shipping fee per order.  I get my comics there regularly though, so the fee will be invisible to me in terms of buying CA.

            > L nny

          • silberspy
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2010
              So today I got an email from the president of ComiXpress apologizing & saying he'd make sure my order would ship today, which is nice. It could well be there was a problem with their contact form as I have had problems on their site with some things.

              The thing with ComiXpress that could be awesome is if it got a total of thirty books at the level of Cerebus Archive. Suddenly getting 10 a month (or maybe even a week) wouldn't be a problem. Of course the problem with that happening is that where are you going to find these thirty people who put out content on schedule? I'm not sure if you can even get to thirty without DC/Marvel/Dark Horse. Clearly Dave could do something where he started handling subscriptions himself & offered a deeper discount subscription to stores, but because he is trying to help the comics community in general or just doesn't want to deal with that aspect of things & would rather spend time on his work than stuffing envelopes he's opted for something that might help some of the rest of us. I'm hopeful for it all. It could be the thing that marks the shift to some comic shops being about comics instead of collectibles.

              Oh, this is unrelated, but I'm working on an Artists' Trading Card Series if anyone is interested. www.silbermedia.com/atc

              hrt
              Brian John Mitchell
            • ctowner1@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2010
                On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:55 PM, silberspy <silberspy@...> wrote:
[...]

                Is it just the case that you need to order ANY 10 books and then you get both a discount AND free shipping? Or do you need to order 10 copies of a single book?  Otherwise, with 6 copies of CA coming out a year, you just need to find another 4 comics you like, and you can buy CA once a year and get the discount.

                L nny
              • Ryan Dunne
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1, 2010
                  On 1 February 2010 19:51, <ctowner1@...> wrote:

[...]

                   It would be pretty cool (or not) to buy a comic 'once-yearly'. Kinda like the opposite of Marvel's trice-monthly ASM. Although I like Peep Show and it's pretty much a 'bi-decadely' ,soo....

                   This might sound wack, but: ....what do you think Dave would say to someone buying multiple copies of CA from comics express and then selling them (with markup) to other cerebites on this list? I mean, if Margaret or whoever wanted to buy ten copies of each CA and then sell them would Dave not be ok with that? It's seems (and this might be stupid, but) a section of the CA audience is represented in this egroup but, not only can we not easily get CA from our local comic shop, we all have to pay an increased cover price (or order stuff we're not interested in to get the discount). Print on demand, to me, suggests someone photocopying (to order) copies of their fanzine for (at best) 20 different people. Surely there's *at least* THOUSANDS of people who'd buy CA? That said, my comic shop (Forbidden Planet- which now has loads of crappy Twilight merchandise meaning the place is overrun with teenage girls! What's up with dat?) has loads of unsold copies of GP9, so I don't doubt that the pre-print on demand way of doing GP wasn't working.

                • Dominick Grace
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 1, 2010
                    Ryan wrote:

[...]

                    Dom says:

                    I think this was raised a while ago and that the idea is that the discount applies to brickand mortar comics stores ONLY.

                    And if thousands of folk wanted to buy CA, it'd still be carried by Diamond.
                    Dom
                  • Chris W
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 1, 2010
                      Ryan wrote:

[...]

                      ====== How about we take the health care reform bill and where it mandates everybody to buy health insurance, we cross that out and write "Cerebus Archive" instead.

                      *David Bowie, "Young Americans"*
                    • silberspy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 2, 2010
                        I believe that as long as you do the paperwork to legally be able to re-sell the books (getting a tax license) that ComiXpress would honor you as being a store.

                        I mean, what's the difference between one of us buying 15 to sell & one of the big mailorder subscription places buying 15?

                        & you could take any profit & donate it to Cerebus TV.

                        hrt
                        Brian John Mitchell
                        www.silbermedia.com