Whoops

  • Page 45
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 1999
      Sorry, I meant to douse everyone - and not just those on this list - with a
      fine spray of cold water, not tip the entire contents over poor Eke's head.
      My fault for quoting you, Eke.

      I've seen far more damning fantasies thrown about, usually by those who
      cannot cope with any other perspective other than their own (e.g "This is
      what I want out of life; I automatically assume it's what everyone else
      wants; so if the subject of my judgement hasn't achieved what I want out of
      life, they must certainly have been trying to achieve it, and therefore
      failed" Futhermore: "Of course even if the subject says he/she has
      different goals to mine... they're lying."). Leaving aside the obvious
      egocentricity of this process which I can only attribute to some
      developmental problem, such presumption seems to me to display an
      extraordinary lack of imagination.

      It no longer surprises me, however, that Dave is subject to excessive
      condemnation. It's all too easy once one person starts using inflamatory
      language, to absorb the hype and go along with it. Very easy indeed. I've
      done it myself, and before long a consensus is reached. One that's based on
      the exagerated judgement rather than the original object, one that's very
      difficult to break, and one which, when a newcomer is exposed to it, can be
      thoroughly - though often subtly - poisonous. In some respects, that's how
      racism works. That's what I meant by 'dangerous' hyperbole. It can be
      infectious.

      Anyway, as I said, this was meant as a public apology to Eke. I don't want
      to drag the conversation back now that it's hit 'Cerebus' territory. I'm
      new to this stuff myself, and I'm going away now to sell comics. Promise.

      Stephen

      P.S. 'Cerebus' #242 has arrived.

      P.P.S. It took me my sixth read of 'High Society', a couple of years ago,
      to spot the early reference to Cerebus's telepathic abilities. Was I slow?
      So obvious in retrospect.

      P.P.P.S If there are crafty generalisations on women in the fictional work
      that is 'Reads', don't they still make for an interesting Story? I mean,
      isn't the art of good fiction to 'create' a story using just such
      techniques, regardless of whether it is true of True? And isn't one of the
      prime objects of art, to provoke? Didn't it provoke you? Provoked hundreds
      of hours of thought and discussion with me. I'd say that made it
      marvelously successful.
    • Dr Eric J Fennessey
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 1999
        Perhaps ones perception of where Dave's coming from depends on when you started
        reading Cerebus. I joined as a result of the late 80s comic-book hype era. I
        beginning with V for Vendetta and looked around for something else to try. I
        started cerebus with issue #114, mainly because it said 'Jaka's Story 1' on the
        front. I missed the fact that it had been going 11 years. Indeed, I don't
        think I even noticed that there wasn't a Cerebus in it (not knowing what a
        Cerebus was) until I got to the letters page. What I (and my wife-to-be) were
        taken with was the beautiful pictures and the naturalistic portrayal of Jaka
        and Rick. So we had seen Dave doing bang-on-the-button relationships and human
        emotions for a long time before Reads came along. That made reading Reads
        easier, because you knew that Dave 'wasn't always like that'. If I had
        stumbled onto Reads first I might never have discovered the rest of Cerebus.

        On a different note, let's not forget that there is more to Reads than just the
        textybits, Cerebus appears on some pages. What is the juxtaposition telling
        us?

        Regards,
        Eric

        PS - Any guesses when Cerebus and Ye Prophite Ricke will meet again? I'm not
        counting Cerebus' 'vision' from the boat.