Re: CerebusTV/auction (was: Dave's North American Appearance

  • oliver_simonsen
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
      --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, ctowner1@... wrote:

      > I'm still unclear: how/where do you go to bid? and where can you figure
      > this out on the site?
      > L nny

      You know, it's just one of these things you either get or you don't...Cerebus TV is a state of mind.
      :)I'll forward your observations to Dave...though judging from the recent bid the "Cerebus TV PR Dept" might figure if it's not broken...not saying you don't have a point.
      Also, more from Cerebus TV HQ (Dave): how about cell phone clips from the yahoos, each saying: "I'm________, Cerebus Yahoo since_______: GO CEREBUS TV!" Could wear a funny hat or a scuba mask, too, or something -anyway, have fun with it.
      The clips will at least be played during the countdown if not more.
    • Ryan Dunne
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
        2009/10/1 oliver_simonsen <oliver_simonsen@...>

        --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, ctowner1@... wrote:

        > I'm still unclear: how/where do you go to bid? and where can you figure
        > this out on the site?
        > L nny

        You know, it's just one of these things you either get or you don't...Cerebus TV is a state of mind.
        :)I'll forward your observations to Dave...though judging from the recent bid the "Cerebus TV PR Dept" might figure if it's not broken...not saying you don't have a point.
        Also, more from Cerebus TV HQ (Dave): how about cell phone clips from the yahoos, each saying: "I'm________, Cerebus Yahoo since_______: GO CEREBUS TV!" Could wear a funny hat or a scuba mask, too, or something -anyway, have fun with it.
        The clips will at least be played during the countdown if not more.

        is Dave paying for al lthe travel etc himself? On top of a grand's worth of free phonebooks? If the highest bid is only $500 , suggesting a high loss for Dave ( Cost of Travel/Hotel + $1000 worth of stock- £500 bid) , then wouldn't it be better if he just set a *minimum* Appearance Fee (say, $3000 bucks or so?) like other celebrities do?

        --
        ryan

        "Give thanks to God for His glorious Vestments (and His mercy endureth forever)"
      • oliver_simonsen
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
          The bid has gone up in the last 24 hours since it was $500

          --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Dunne <cerebusboy@...> wrote:

          > 2009/10/1 oliver_simonsen oliver_simonsen@...
          >

          > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com <cerebus%40yahoogroups.com>,
          ctowner1@
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I'm still unclear: how/where do you go to bid? and where can you
          figure
          > > > this out on the site?
          > > > L nny
          > >
          > > You know, it's just one of these things you either get or you
          > > don't...Cerebus TV is a state of mind.
          > > :)I'll forward your observations to Dave...though judging from the
          recent
          > > bid the "Cerebus TV PR Dept" might figure if it's not broken...not
          saying
          > > you don't have a point.
          > > Also, more from Cerebus TV HQ (Dave): how about cell phone clips
          from the
          > > yahoos, each saying: "I'm________, Cerebus Yahoo since_______: GO
          CEREBUS
          > > TV!" Could wear a funny hat or a scuba mask, too, or something
          -anyway, have
          > > fun with it.
          > > The clips will at least be played during the countdown if not more.
          > >

          > is Dave paying for al lthe travel etc himself? On top of a grand's
          worth of
          > free phonebooks? If the highest bid is only $500 , suggesting a high
          loss
          > for Dave ( Cost of Travel/Hotel + $1000 worth of stock- £500 bid) ,
          then
          > wouldn't it be better if he just set a *minimum* Appearance Fee (say,
          $3000
          > bucks or so?) like other celebrities do?
          >

          > --
          > ryan
          >
          > "Give thanks to God for His glorious Vestments (and His mercy endureth
          > forever)"

        • Ryan Dunne
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
            2009/10/1 oliver_simonsen <oliver_simonsen@...>

            The bid has gone up in the last 24 hours since it was $500

            --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Dunne <cerebusboy@...> wrote:

            > 2009/10/1 oliver_simonsen oliver_simonsen@...
            >

            > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com <cerebus%40yahoogroups.com>,

            ctowner1@
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm still unclear: how/where do you go to bid? and where can you
            figure
            > > > this out on the site?
            > > > L nny
            > >
            > > You know, it's just one of these things you either get or you
            > > don't...Cerebus TV is a state of mind.
            > > :)I'll forward your observations to Dave...though judging from the
            recent
            > > bid the "Cerebus TV PR Dept" might figure if it's not broken...not
            saying
            > > you don't have a point.
            > > Also, more from Cerebus TV HQ (Dave): how about cell phone clips
            from the
            > > yahoos, each saying: "I'm________, Cerebus Yahoo since_______: GO
            CEREBUS
            > > TV!" Could wear a funny hat or a scuba mask, too, or something
            -anyway, have
            > > fun with it.
            > > The clips will at least be played during the countdown if not more.
            > >

            > is Dave paying for al lthe travel etc himself? On top of a grand's
            worth of
            > free phonebooks? If the highest bid is only $500 , suggesting a high
            loss
            > for Dave ( Cost of Travel/Hotel + $1000 worth of stock- £500 bid) ,
            then
            > wouldn't it be better if he just set a *minimum* Appearance Fee (say,
            $3000
            > bucks or so?) like other celebrities do?
            >

            > --
            > ryan
            >
            > "Give thanks to God for His glorious Vestments (and His mercy endureth
            > forever)"

             Woah!  I like : "I would like to bid six hundred and eighty seven dollars and seventy four cents. Plus a steak and/or lobster dinner, a box of good comics, four rolls of paper for Dave's fax machine, and a Strange Adventures mug and sweater."

             But, if you don't mind me asking, what's the thinking behind giving the actual figure of the current highest bid? I mean, somebody who was willing to bid a cool $10000 would read that and probably think that a bid of $690 would suffice - and Dave would lose out. I like the bit on the bottom naming Cerebus TV doners - kudos to Margaret , EK and Claude Flowers! (And, of course, kudos to John McSchruddeer if he's a lurker).

             That said, there's nothing wrong with a website that *doesn't* spell out all the details ( L nny style!) but does post intriguing hints. Remember the Cloverfield and Dark Knight viral campaigns? Hell, the current Iron Man 2 website is just a page with a '2' on it! Speaking of which, if you buy the Iron Man 2 Disk DVD, there's a feature on the comics that features an interview with Gerry Conway - holding a dog and talking about , amongst other things, his most famous Iron Man cover! Joe Q, Stan Lee, Warren Ellis and some other dudes are on the feature too. Well worth checking out if you're a Conway fan (like Dave!). And there's footage of a script conference featuring Bendis!

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
              2009/9/30 <ctowner1@...>

              > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 5:19 PM, effingmagnifier <seilerjeff@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, ctowner1@... wrote:

              >> > I must have missed a few posts.  what's this? Dave is auctioning off $1000
              >> > worth of Phonebooks? where? eBay?
              >> >
              >> > And the proposed plan is for the Yahoo Group to enter the bidding if the
              >> > price is right and then resell them? To what end? To make money for the
              >> > investors?  Or what?

              >> > L nny
              >>
              >> -----Dude.  If you go to www.cerebustv.com you'll see that Dave is auctioning off the right to host his only 2010 in-store appearance.  As part of a large overall package deal, he will be taking along $1000 worth of his Cerebus tpb's for the winning store owner to do with whatever he pleases.
              >>
              >> What the discussion here is about, is that the current highest bid is only $500, which is essentially way, way too low.  So, the idea was suggested, and I passed it along to Dave for his comments, that we the Yahoos all, or a lot of us, pitch in to get the winning bid up where it should be if we can convince him that the winning "store" would be the 2010 SPACE show.
              >>
              >> Clear as mud now?
              >>
              >> Jeff>>
              >

              > No.  It seems to me the CerebusTv site needs some updating/organziation to it.  Some observations upon viewing the site this afternoon:
              >
              > 1.  The site says there's an auction going on.  It doesn't clearly state what's being auctioned off.  But if you want to bid (why would you if you don't know what it is?), it tells you to click on a link to see how to bid.  The link leads to a Bleeding Cool article about Cerebus TV which does NOT tell you how to bid (or if it does, it's certainly not clear).
              >
              > 2.  The CerebusTV site is soliciting donations.  Donations for what? There's no clue provided on the website.  Why would nayone donate money for an unknown cause.

              Plus, I just noticed that most of the people listened as doners are
              involved in the project in some way - so I'm sure someone looking at
              the site would eventually figure out that it's for a Cerebus-related
              good cause. How about links to some other good causes that Dave
              supports, like that Waterloo Food Bank? It might be cool to have
              something more contemporary, like that Bono aids charity.

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
                --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Dunne <cerebusboy@...> wrote:

                > 2009/9/30 <ctowner1@...>

                > >> -----Dude.  If you go to www.cerebustv.com you'll see that Dave is auctioning off the right to host his only 2010 in-store appearance.  As part of a large overall package deal, he will be taking along $1000 worth of his Cerebus tpb's for the winning store owner to do with whatever he pleases.
                > >>
                > >> What the discussion here is about, is that the current highest bid is only $500, which is essentially way, way too low.  So, the idea was suggested, and I passed it along to Dave for his comments, that we the Yahoos all, or a lot of us, pitch in to get the winning bid up where it should be if we can convince him that the winning "store" would be the 2010 SPACE show.
                > >>
                > >> Clear as mud now?
                > >>
                > >> Jeff>>
                > >

                > > No.  It seems to me the CerebusTv site needs some updating/organziation to it.  Some observations upon viewing the site this afternoon:
                > >
                > > 1.  The site says there's an auction going on.  It doesn't clearly state what's being auctioned off.  But if you want to bid (why would you if you don't know what it is?), it tells you to click on a link to see how to bid.  The link leads to a Bleeding Cool article about Cerebus TV which does NOT tell you how to bid (or if it does, it's certainly not clear).
                > >
                > > 2.  The CerebusTV site is soliciting donations.  Donations for what? There's no clue provided on the website.  Why would nayone donate money for an unknown cause.
                >

                > Plus, I just noticed that most of the people listened as doners are
                > involved in the project in some way - so I'm sure someone looking at
                > the site would eventually figure out that it's for a Cerebus-related
                > good cause. How about links to some other good causes that Dave
                > supports, like that Waterloo Food Bank? It might be cool to have
                > something more contemporary, like that Bono aids charity.
                >
                > --
                > ryan
                >
                > "Give thanks to God for His glorious Vestments (and His mercy endureth forever)"

                First off let me say: I have a huge High Def TV (yes, I'm bragging:))which is now most of the time plugged into my PC and the Xbox. My son justabout never watches TV.
                I think, and I could be way wrong...but I think: that CerebusTV is a capitalist venture with an eye on the future to develope a niche market...Oh sure, we are talking quite some time down the line if this has legs at all. Also, Dave Sim always gives to charities, so there would still be a benefit to the good of all mankind:)
                It's not uncommon for free sites to have a donation button -and I'm sure the investment if the venture is a success will be remembered and pay off.
                (Again, I'm not speaking for Sim.)
              • Ryan Dunne
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
                  2009/10/1 <ctowner1@...>

                  I'm still unclear: how/where do you go to bid?  and where can you figure this out on the site?

                  L nny

                  On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 8:03 PM, oliver_simonsen <oliver_simonsen@...> wrote:

                  While it can be clearer...Let's remember the site is also getting it's share of props, too. Anyway, someone got it -A NEW BID!!!:

                  I would like to bid six hundred and eighty seven dollars and seventy four cents. Plus a steak and/or lobster dinner, a box of good comics, four rolls of paper for Dave's fax machine, and a Strange Adventures mug and sweater.

                  All the best,
                  STRANGE ADVENTURES

                  5262 Sackville St.Halifax, NS B3J 1K8
                  1-866-626-6427

                  www.cerebustv.com

> [...]

                  > > suggested,
                  > > or a
                  > > can

                  > > > No. It seems to me the CerebusTv site needs some updating/organziation
                  > > > it. Some observations upon viewing the site this afternoon:
                  > > >
                  > > > 1. The site says there's an auction going on. It doesn't clearly state
                  > > > what's being auctioned off. But if you want to bid (why would you if you
                  > > > don't know what it is?), it tells you to click on a link to see how to
                  > > bid.
                  > > > The link leads to a Bleeding Cool article about Cerebus TV which does NOT
                  > > > tell you how to bid (or if it does, it's certainly not clear).
                  > > >
                  > > > 2. The CerebusTV site is soliciting donations. Donations for what?
                  > > There's
                  > > > no clue provided on the website. Why would nayone donate money for an
                  > > > unknown cause.
                  > > >
                  > > > 3. What's the mission statement of CerebusTV? Why does it exist? No
                  > > clues
                  > > > on the website. that was fine when it was just a placeholder site with a
                  > > > countdown to 10/23/09 (what happened to THAT countdown? It's disappeared
                  > > > without an explanation! And yet the site tells us "*KEEP THE COUNTDOWN
                  > > > GOING!" What countdown??*).
                  > > >
                  > > > 4. If you go to Bleeding Cool, you DO find some clue as to what
                  > > CerebusTV
                  > > > is about (but again, why would you go there if youy're not interested in
                  > > > bidding for something you're not clear about?): "*Cerebus TV *is
                  > > intended
                  > > > as an environment primarily for independent creators, retailers and fans
                  > > in
                  > > > order to avoid the content being influenced of controlled by large
                  > > > corporations." What does that mean? "an environment for independent
                  > > > creators"? Do do what? Post creations? Hawk their good? Or what? Again,
                  > > > this is not on the CerebusTV website (where it should be), and it's not
                  > > > clear what's going on here. And yet the site is asking for money!
                  > > >
                  > > > 4. So why are you suggesting we bid on this? What do we accomplish if we
                  > > bid
                  > > > $501 and win? What's your goal? To resell the books and make some money?
                  > > > Money for whom? What's to be done with the money? What's the plan here?
                  > > >
                  > > > I'm just giving you the view of what someone who goes to the site will
                  > > see
                  > > > -- no offense to John, but I think some work needs to be done here (b/c
                  > > > be honest, I'm not even sure of the answers to the questions I posed
                  > > above -
                  > > > I'm sure Joe internet of the street will be clueless).

                  > > > L nny
                  > > >

                  > > I think those are very valid observations...as everyone knows (clearly from
                  > > me taking full responsibility for my spelling mistakes:)) but this I have
                  > > nothing to do with:)
                  > > I think sharing one's views like this will only help the site
                  > > presentation.>>
                  >

                  > That was my sole intent - to make it better. This is the crucial time and

                   Plus, I can see how Dave - who has said that he won't be doing SPACE, as it's probably impracticle to make everyone sing the petititon - might see it sneaky if the US Yahoos win and then choose Columbus, Ohio as the venue. Why not choose another equidistant location ( is New York , for example, a handy midpoint for you guys? How about San Diego or Washington? I'm not big on geography) and get an actual comic store as the 'front' (e.g. tell the guy that you'll - the US Yahoos - pay the money for Dave to appear, and that the owner will get £1000 worth of tradepaperbacks and lots of publicity in return). That has the advantage that lurkers, general Dave fans who have no interest in a SPACE reunions etc, would turn up (and, let's be honest, don't you think some legitmate Comic Book Shop Owners will be pissed off if something *other* than a proper comics shop wins the bid, in defiance of the stated rules?).

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009

                    > First off let me say: I have a huge High Def TV (yes, I'm bragging:))which is now most of the time plugged into my PC and the Xbox. My son justabout never watches TV.
                    > I think, and I could be way wrong...but I think: that CerebusTV is a capitalist venture with an eye on the future to develope a niche market...Oh sure, we are talking quite some time down the line if this has legs at all. Also, Dave Sim always gives to charities, so there would still be a benefit to the good of all mankind:)
                    > It's not uncommon for free sites to have a donation button -and I'm sure the investment if the venture is a success will be remembered and pay off.
                    > (Again, I'm not speaking for Sim.)

                    Some might say that the site at first is but a curiosity though later...:)
                  • ctowner1@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
                      On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM, <ctowner1@...> wrote:
> [...]

                      4. So why are you suggesting we bid on this? What do we accomplish if we bid $501 and win? What's your goal? To resell the books and make some money? Money for whom? What's to be done with the money? What's the plan here?

                      I'm just giving you the view of what someone who goes to the site will see -- no offense to John, but I think some work needs to be done here (b/c to be honest, I'm not even sure of the answers to the questions I posed above - I'm sure Joe internet of the street will be clueless).

                      L nny>>

                      So I'm STILL unclear on 2 things - Questions 4 & 4 above.  Did someone answer these? Oliver? Jeff?

                      L nny

                    • oliver_simonsen
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
                        Jeff did...something about it being aimed at stores -so you would not be bidding(me and Rick agree on this actually.)

                      • ctowner1@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
                          On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:57 PM, oliver_simonsen <oliver_simonsen@...> wrote:
> [...]

                          > > creators"?  Do do what? Post creations? Hawk their good? Or what?  Again,
                          > > this is not on the CerebusTV website (where it should be), and it's not
                          > > clear what's going on here.  And yet the site is asking for money!
                          > >
                          > > 4. So why are you suggesting we bid on this? What do we accomplish if we
                          > > bid $501 and win? What's your goal? To resell the books and make some money?
                          > > Money for whom? What's to be done with the money? What's the plan here?
                          > >
                          > > I'm just giving you the view of what someone who goes to the site will see
                          > > -- no offense to John, but I think some work needs to be done here (b/c to
                          > > be honest, I'm not even sure of the answers to the questions I posed above -
                          > > I'm sure Joe internet of the street will be clueless).

                          > > L nny>>
                          > >

                          > So I'm STILL unclear on 2 things - Questions 4 & 4 above.  Did someone

                          You're one of the main people on this, right Oliver?  What's YOUR understanding on what this site is about? What's its purpose?  How will it run?  Is there any plan in place?

                          L nny

                        • oliver_simonsen
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
                            and ruin the "mystique":)
                            okok
                            No, I don't know. (But yet I "get it":))
                            Our efforts on our Cerebus film is not the same as this TV venture, obviously there's room for our respective projects to intersect, but that is the extent of it.

                            -Oliver
                            (who just might have missed out on a perfect opportunity to pull a Seiler)

                          • ctowner1@gmail.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
                              On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 12:20 AM, oliver_simonsen <oliver_simonsen@...> wrote:
                              and ruin the "mystique":)
                              okok
                              No, I don't know. (But yet I "get it":))
                              Our efforts on our Cerebus film is not the same as this TV venture, obviously there's room for our respective projects to intersect, but that is the extent of it.

                              -Oliver
                              (who just might have missed out on a perfect opportunity to pull a Seiler)

                              --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, ctowner1@... wrote:

                              > On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:57 PM, oliver_simonsen
                              > <oliver_simonsen@...>wrote:
                              >
                              > > Jeff did...something about it being aimed at stores -so you would not be
                              > > bidding(me and Rick agree on this actually.)
                              > >
                              > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, ctowner1@ wrote:

                              > > with
                              > >  Not
                              > > claimed
                              > > store

                              > >  If
                              > > this
                              > > pissed

                              > > the
                              > > the

                              > >  As part
                              > > of his
                              > > pleases.

                              > > only
                              > > suggested,
                              > > all, or a
                              > > can

                              > > state
                              > > you
                              > > bid.
                              > > NOT

                              > > for

                              > > site
                              > > THE

                              > > CerebusTV
                              > > in
                              > > intended
                              > > fans in
                              > >  Again,

                              > > we
                              > > money?

                              > > see
                              > > above -

                              > > > So I'm STILL unclear on 2 things - Questions 4 & 4 above.  Did someone
                              > > > answer these? Oliver? Jeff?

                              > > > L nny>>
                              > >

                              > You're one of the main people on this, right Oliver?  What's YOUR
                              > understanding on what this site is about? What's its purpose?  How will it
                              > run?  Is there any plan in place?

                              > L nny>>

                              OK...how about the people who donated money to the site? What do THEY think they are supporting by doing so? Why donate money to the site, rather than give it to Cancer research, or the CBLDF?

                              L nny
                            • oliver_simonsen
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
                                --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, ctowner1@... wrote:

                                > On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 12:20 AM, oliver_simonsen
                                > <oliver_simonsen@...>wrote:
                                >
                                > > and ruin the "mystique":)
                                > > okok
                                > > No, I don't know. (But yet I "get it":))
                                > > Our efforts on our Cerebus film is not the same as this TV venture,
                                > > obviously there's room for our respective projects to intersect, but that is
                                > > the extent of it.
                                > >
                                > > -Oliver
                                > > (who just might have missed out on a perfect opportunity to pull a Seiler)
                                > >

                                > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, ctowner1@ wrote:

                                > > be

                                > > provided
                                > > $500?

                                > > we
                                > > case.
                                > > entertain
                                > > getting
                                > > her

                                > > off

                                > > bidding if
                                > > for

                                > > is
                                > > appearance.
                                > > worth

                                > > is
                                > > if we
                                > > show.

                                > > updating/organziation

                                > > if
                                > > does

                                > > what?
                                > > money

                                > > No
                                > > "*KEEP

                                > > interested
                                > > independent
                                > > not

                                > > if
                                > > some
                                > > here?

                                > > will
                                > > (b/c
                                > > posed

                                > > someone

                                > > > You're one of the main people on this, right Oliver? What's YOUR
                                > > > understanding on what this site is about? What's its purpose? How will
                                > > it
                                > > > run? Is there any plan in place?

                                > > > L nny>>
                                > >

                                > OK...how about the people who donated money to the site? What do THEY think
                                > they are supporting by doing so? Why donate money to the site, rather than
                                > give it to Cancer research, or the CBLDF?

                                > L nny

                                I don't know.
                                Most sites have a donation button.
                                Maybe your "investment" will be remebered if it becomes a profitable venture and pay off. I'm just guessing and could be way off base.
                              • ekhanna@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
                                  I donated because I'm a fan of Dave and his work and have been for a looooong time and am fairly confident I am going to want to purchase or help out anything do with the comic book field that he is working on. I believe I am helping get CerebusTV get 'off the ground.' I have seen 'donation boxes' on many internet sites and believe the money goes to help the website and/or project, although I don't recall (to the best of my ability) that I have EVER seen this explicitly stated on any of the websites I have visited. While for all I really know (for this particular or any website with a donation button) the money could be going to fund drug cartels in South America or the Mafia or the invasion of the Crab People, I believe (your honour) that this money really WILL actually go to help Dave out with this new project of his which looks to be something that I will personally be interested in, and I feel that by donating money I am (perhaps) showing him that I appreciate his work and what he does, especially since I have never seen him ask for donations before and he has given sooooo much of his free time and energy to making himself available to answering questions and communicating with readers. Especially when it comes to the Yahoo questions we got him to answer. Also, you know, this is going to be free. Maybe more people will donate after the first episode?

                                  As it says on BleedingCool (although not through the link listed on the site, but this one: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2009/09/15/dave-sim-talks-cerebus-tv/)I believe;

                                  "What Cerebus TV is about: art and artists talking about art and examining that art in black and white. I enjoy reading about artists' lives in Alter Ego but I'm always far more interested in their materials, drawing choices, influences, mentors. I want to do a feature called "What Are You Working On Right Now?" Because that's the thing any artist is the most focused on. What he or she is doing at the moment, problems that need to be solved. Problems that were solved."

                                  I mean, I think most of what Lenny is talking about could be solved by just having a link to the above page. Yeah, okay, I'm a 'long time reader' and someone who's never really followed Dave or read any of his stuff won't have some of the same motivations for donating or looking into this. But the link already on the page pretty much explains what the donations and the bidding are for. In my opinion.

                                  I also think that you don't have to be a fan of Dave's to want to watch this, as he is going to be talking to other artists (Jim Steranko in the first one according to the above link).

                                  If it were up to me, next time I'd just put up a page saying "GABBO is coming"

                                • ekhanna@yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
                                    Sorry, let me clarify that last comment about Gabbo. By that I mean that I think the current web page is just fine

                                  • ctowner1@gmail.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 2, 2009
                                      Damn good answer!

                                      And why put a link to what the site is about on the site? Why not
                                      just put it right there ON the site??

                                      L nny

                                      On 10/2/09, ekhanna@... <ekhanna@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                      > having a link to the above page. Yeah, okay, I'm a 'long time reader' and
                                      > someone who's never really followed Dave or read any of his stuff won't have
                                      > some of the same motivations for donating or looking into this. But the
                                      > link already on the page pretty much explains what the donations and the
                                      > bidding are for. In my opinion.
                                      >
                                      > I also think that you don't have to be a fan of Dave's to want to watch
                                      > this, as he is going to be talking to other artists (Jim Steranko in the
                                      > first one according to the above link).
                                      >
                                      > If it were up to me, next time I'd just put up a page saying "GABBO is
                                      > coming"
                                      >

                                      >> OK...how about the people who donated money to the site? What do THEY
                                      >> think
                                      >> they are supporting by doing so? Why donate money to the site, rather than
                                      >> give it to Cancer research, or the CBLDF?

                                    • Matt Dow
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 2, 2009
                                        On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM, <ctowner1@...> wrote:
                                        Damn good answer!

                                        And why put a link to what the site is about on the site?  Why not
                                        just put it right there ON the site??

                                        L nny

                                        Because Dave didn't wanna.

                                        Matt Dow